Damaged DVD RW Drive?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by DeathStar1, May 25, 2003.

1. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

OK Folks, I really hope this isn't the case, but considering there's a new Drive out at 4X, and my father may have helped damage this one, it may not be an entirley BAD thing that it's not working properly [​IMG].

OK, here's the situation. If a DVD Drive is recording a disc, can the drive be damaged if the computer was moved during recording? We where troubleshooting the cable connection up here, when my father was looking for the proper cable outlet that goes to the comp TV Tuner. I told him to let me look for it, sicne I didn't want him to damage anything, but as I saw him tilt the computer on it's side, I saw that the drive light was active, meaning the burn was in progress still.

I had completly forgotten about it, and needless to say yelled at him to put it back.

However, the disc failed ot record halfway through. Two failures later, I finally got one to work properly. I tried to burn my second disc today, and got one more failure, and the second one burned properly. However, when I pop it in, the drive dosn't want to read it, yet all other movie discs work perfectly.

The drive is barley a year old, got it last August, and it's an HPDVD 200i 2X Drive.

Any ideas?
    Thanks

2. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Did you have any burn failures before the 'incident'?

3. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

Nope, working perfectly. A few months earlier before the incident in February, it didn't want to recognize ANY disc, or burn any disc for a four day period, and then returned to normal shortly there after. But this is the first time we've had so many failure messages.

4. Rob Gillespie

Rob Gillespie Producer

Damage (or at least a fault) sounds plausible. What media are you using? I've tried a lot of different brands and some have had a very high burn failure rate while others are perfect.

5. DeathStar1

DeathStar1 Producer

FujiFilm. NEver had a problem before, with only one out of 75 used giiving error messages.