Damaged driver in speaker?

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by Shaun Graham, Aug 16, 2003.

1. Shaun Graham

Shaun Graham Agent

I'm using Onkyo's HTiB HT500 speakers connected to an old Sony STR-D615 receiver. I only have the two fronts connected at the moment (for music listening), and the left one is giving me pause. Compared to the right one, its bass response is pitiful and the bass it does put out is cracked and "splatty." Swapping the speakers between channels on the receiver yields the same result. The best explanation I can come up with is a damaged lower driver in the left speaker. The good news is Onkyo has a 2 year warranty on these and I've only had them for a month. Before I send them in, does anyone have any suggestions or has anyone had a similar experience with these speakers?

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    The 615 has a rather anemic amp section (I used to have an 815, which was not much more powerful), so I would say you have likely fried something in the crossover, or burned a voice coil by clipping the receiver (driving it to distortion). If I understand you correctly, the problem follows the speaker, so it is almost certain there is damage there. It is more common to damage a tweeter, though the x-over may have a protection circuit designed in for this, or the tweeter is more stout than the midbass driver.

This type of damage may not be covered under warranty, as it would fall under "misuse". Onkyo may be nice enough to swap the damaged component(s) out for you though.

3. Shaun Graham

Shaun Graham Agent

Thanks. To make a long story short, after 3 hours at Fry's trying to get them exchanged for the same speakers, I ended up just getting a refund since they said the speakers are now discontinued and none of their stores have them in stock. It's a shame cause I liked them while I had them, but can anyone recommend anything else in the $300 range? (I got the Onkyo's on sale for $130)