Damage from static electricity?

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Phil Carter, Jan 14, 2004.

1. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Hey folks.

I have, perhaps, an odd question for the wise HTF gurus. I am one of those people who seems to build up static electricity everywhere he goes, and I get shocked every time I touch anything remotely metal-like. It's even worse in the wintertime, of course. My carpets at home seem to promote it, as well.

Now, this would just be an annoying quirk that I can deal with, except that I am a bit concerned for my HT equipment. I tend to switch on my TV, DVD player and receiver all at the same time, while standing in front of them, instead of using the remotes. This means that I usually get a quick shock when touching one of the three.

My concern: am I doing any damage to my components with my evil lightning fingers? Or am I just being needlessly concerned about a tiny charge that is immediately dissipated? This may be going overboard, but I love my HT and I don't want to see it hurt. [​IMG]

cheers,
    Phil

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Unless you're seeing a dramatic, blue-white arc zapping between you and the equipment (like in those 1950s-vintage science-fiction movies), then I wouldn't worry about it. Nothing to be concerned about. But why don't you use the remotes?

3. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Try to ground yourself (or dissipate the shock) to a piece of furniture before touching a piece of equipment. There is a small possibility of damage, but I think it is unlikely.

4. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

I get this complaint constantly from my customers during the winter months. If your home has a forced air heating system (Furnace) you greatly reduce the static potential in your home by having a Whole House Humidifier installed. Keeping the Relative Humidity at 30-35% will help a great deal with static, help preserve wood floors/furnishings, and make you more comfortable at a slightly lower temperature there by reducing your fuel usage.

Even if you live in a rental (house or apartment adding an utrasonic humidifier will help some.

5. Phil Carter

Phil Carter Second Unit

Phil
    Jack Briggs:

Mostly because I tend to turn on all three pieces of equipment at once, when I'm loading a DVD into the player to watch, and am thus standing within arms' reach of all three. Maybe I will just stop doing that until the summer, when the static issue isn't as bad. Or get a humidifier as Frank suggested. [​IMG]

Thanks to all who replied!

cheers,
    Phil

6. Scott Strang

Scott Strang Screenwriter

I don't see that when I touch my equipment (electronic that is) but I feel it when I get out of my truck in the winter. It's actually burned the hair off the back of my leg where it touches the metal.

That probably would fry a DVD reader or HT receiver.

7. JasonMA

JasonMA Stunt Coordinator

I would defintiely advise that you use your remote to turn on your equipment as I once fried a stereo receiver I owned just by touching it and getting shocked. The thing just stopped working. And I wasn't even turning it on, I was turning up the volume and the knob shock me. Every single time I touched that receiver I got a shock, but it died after only a few weeks of purchasing it. Thankfully it was still under warranty so I returned it and got another, which I vowed to never touch.

Now I almost never touch any piece of equipment unless I absolutely have to, and even then I make sure to touch another piece of metal first to "uncharge."

8. Mark Murphy

Mark Murphy Supporting Actor

Always wear a wrist strap.

9. Stephen Weller

Stephen Weller Stunt Coordinator

HAR! [​IMG]

I heartily second the humidifier suggestion. It made a WORLD of difference here (Tucson); where the humidity can drop to near single digits.

It also sounds like you could use a programmable remote with macro capability. Santa brought me a Rat Shack Kameleon 6. I love it and hate it at the same time! [​IMG]