Dalmations aspect ratios--very confused!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Kevin Reckelhoff, Oct 29, 2001.

1. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Browsing at Best Buy, I noticed that there were no 101 Dalmatians DVDs, although there were a ton of 102 Dalmatians. In the back of the rack, there was a 2-pack of both movies. 101 was widescreen, but 102 was fullscreen. However, several of the 102 dvds *were* widescreen!?! Why on earth would Disney package a widescreen 101 with the fullscreen 102, when they have widescreen 102's available?
    Can anyone explain this, or at least let me know if 101 widescreen is available separately somewhere?
    thanks!
    edited for spelling [​IMG]
    [Edited last by Kevin Reckelhoff on October 29, 2001 at 03:25 PM]

2. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

because they don't have a Pan&Scan 101 Dalmations to put in there. Buy it quick, or you're waiting a long time for the Platinum edition. Disney has recalled all copies to put it on moratorium
    Jeff Kleist

3. GlennH

GlennH Cinematographer

Glenn
    Okay, first of all it's DALMATIANS, not DALMATIONS. (I know, I've messed that up in the past too.)
    Now, Jeff -- You're a little confused here. 101 DALMATIANS (animated) is 1.33:1 -- that's the one that will be reissued in a Platinum Edition someday.
    Kevin is talking about the live action 101 DALMATIANS (the one with Glenn Close and Jeff Daniels). It is only available in a 2.35:1 letterboxed (non-anamorphic) DVD. When 102 DALMATIANS was issued it had separate versions, but they only put the P&S (or open-matte) version in the 2-pack with the letterboxed 101 DALMATIANS.
    According the DVDpricesearch.com the live action 101 is now discontinued, although it looks like some online retailers still have it.
    I wonder if this means a special edition (anamorphic) is on the way?

4. HenrikTull

HenrikTull Second Unit

5. Kevin Reckelhoff

Kevin Reckelhoff Stunt Coordinator

Thanks for the answers...I'm not in a hurry to purchase, so I'll just wait until the next version.
    kevin