DALLAS. What to do?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Darren Mortensen, May 31, 2003.

1. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

My wife and I will be in Dallas the second week of June for the Peter Gabriel concert. The concert is the only thing we have planned while in Dallas, so I am looking for some ideas for entertainment. Any suggestions for fun-to-go places or good-to-eat resturants would be much appreciated from you Dallas area locals![​IMG]

2. JohnRice

JohnRice Lead Actor

John
    My favorite restaurant when I lived there was Mercado Juarez. I haven't lived there for over 10 years, so no guarantees. There was more than one, but the only one I ate at was on the North West edge of Dallas on Loop 12 (think it is 12) just East of, I think, hwy 121. It might be hwy 114 instead of 121, but I don't think so. I also used to really like Colter's BBQ. Neither of these is fancy. If you want something fancy and expensive, one of the best restaurants I have ever been to was The Riviera (I think) just a bit North of downtown Dallas. I think it was just off the Central Expressway.

3. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Darren,
    Check the alt. Dallas paper http://www.dallasobserver.com/ for ideas. I live down near Austin/San Antonio so I don't have a lot of first hand knowledge of the Metroplex. It is interesting that the only replies have been 10 year old recollections and a warning about going out at night. Where are all the Dallas members? Where is Steve Tannehill?
    John-John once said some thing along the lines of, "You've got to remember, JFK is about my father's head being blown off so I don't see it as entertainment."
    But, 40 years ago this November Jack was in Austin and then he made the mistake of going to Dallas. You might want to visit the Texas School Book Depository and Dealy Plaza.
    Fair Park has a lot of neat old buildings and an IMAX Theater.
    Personally, I'm a courthouse nut so I'd be sure to visit the Tarrant County Courthouse in Ft. Worth. And the Cow Town Historic area.
    Have fun!
    Jim

4. Henry Gale

Henry Gale Producer

Back in '68 I was in Robert E. Lee Park one Sunday snorting amyl nitrate with a bunch of freaks. You might want to check that out. [​IMG]

5. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

You don’t say how long you are going to be in Dallas, nor your budget, so I’ll make some guesses. But it you supply a little more information, we can get more specific.

Restaurants

Pairs Vendome, a French bistro style menu right across from the {I]Magnolia[/i], one of our ‘art house’ theatres. In West Villiage, about a mile north of downtown on McKinney.

Plano Tortilla Factory, almost a hole-in;the-wall place with great Tex-Mex food. On 18th St. in Plano east of Central Expressway. There are a plethora of places like this in the Dallas area. This is one of the best.

Cantina Laredo, more of an upscale Tex-Mex place. There are two or three around the area, the newest (and beautiful on the inside) is right next to the Inwood, yet another of our ‘art’ theatres. My favorite beer with Tex-Mex is Bohemia. Lovers Lane, west of the North Dallas Tollway.

Hattie, sort of a cross between New American, home cooking (pecan-crusted catfish is very ppopular).and French, but very casual (you won’t be out of place in shorts). On Bishop in Oak Cliff (south of the Trinity River).

Peggy Sue Barbeque (you must have some barbeque while in Texas), this is strangely located in Snider Plaza (next to SMU), but the barbeque is still stellar. And some of the best vegtatables you will ever see in such meat-oriented establishments. Brisket is the standard barbeque in North Central Texas, but choose as you will. The drink for this is any beer, directly out of a long neck (never pour into a glass).

Acabus, upscale in the Knox/Henderson area. Very fine food and prices to match. If you are interested in an expensive meal, I have a lot more recommendations.

La Duni, self-styled as Latin cooking. This is mostly South American. Great cocktails and outstanding deserts. On McKinney in the Knox/Henderson area.

Places and events

Schoolbook depository and the grassy knoll—downtown, this speaks for itself.

Mesquite Rodeo—actually I don’t know they are having a rodeo right now, but if you are interested, I’ll check. In Mesquite (a bit east of Dallas).

The Ballpark in Arlington is nice, but the Rangers are below .500 and will probably stay that way all year.

The West End , west side of downtown. Lots of restaurants and clubs. My wife and I don’t bother (sort of touristy), but it is great fun if you like that kind of thing.

Deep Ellum, east of downtown on Elm street. Clubs restaurants and tattoo parlors. Very funky. Some of the clubs cater to the young and some to the very young. But you can probably find a place that your like. Or you may not like the area at all.

The architecture in downtown Dallas is varied and striking. Try approaching from all direction on the freeways. You get good views of the skyline.

Fair Park, home of the State Fair, which won’t be on, but the permanent buildings are fine representations of Art Deco. You should be cautious in the area immediately outside the fairgrounds.

Lower Greenville, another area with restaurants and bars. Good fun—less plastic than the West End and not so funky as Deep Ellum. Greenville AV., south of Mockingbird Lane.

Dallas Museum of Art, which has a sprawling collection. I hate to say it, but the art museums in Fort Worth are better. In the Arts District.

Trammel Crow Asian Collection in one of his private buildings, very close to the Art Museum. Small and well-chosen.

Day Trips

Fort Worth (mention if you have time and I’ll make frecommendations).

6. Jeff Savage

Jeff Savage Second Unit

I was in the midst of type in a bunch of stuff but I see that Lew pretty much covered it all. I will also agree that the Dallas Observer does carry the most information on the various night spots and local bands. You also might want to check out the Dallas or FT Worth Zoo's (I think FT. Worth one is much better) and the Dallas Aquarium. If you like shopping there are tons of places to go for that too.

Laters,
    Jeff

7. Steve Tannehill

Steve Tannehill Ambassador

Steve Tannehill
    Darren, you will be at Fair Park for the concert (as will I), so a stop at Science Place and the IMAX theater would be convenient. However, as Lew pointed out, be careful in the surrounding areas. Event parking has security, but Fair Park is not a nice area of Dallas.

I'm betting that Finding Nemo will still be in DLP at Cinemark Legacy, north on 75 to Legacy Drive. If you've never seen a movie in DLP, this is a good way to start.

As for restaurants, what kind of food do you like?

- Steve

8. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

There's an aquarium in Dallas? I might have to check that out. My parents are coming to town this week and we need things to do so this thread will be useful.

Darren, I'd advise against the barbecue in Texas. I'm from Independence, MO originally, and I find the barbecue here to be lacking. The bake their ham! What are they thinking? The Ballpark is ok, but definitely not as nice as Kauffman stadium. If you are a baseball fan, check out the Frisco Rough Riders. Its a class A or AA team in Frisco, which is north of Dallas, their stadium is at 121 and the North Dallas Tollway. I got some free tickets this year and it was kind of fun.

9. Lew Crippen

10. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

Sorry Lew, I'm just not buying it. Kansas City is famous for its cattle yards, beef in general, and most importantly its barbecue. My ham example was just to show the mentality of barbecue restaurants down here. If you come from KC, chances are good that you just won't be satisfied by barbecue elsewhere. By the same token, I don't bother going to Mexican or Tex-Mex when I'm in KC.

Darren, if you do decide to give Texas barbecue a try, don't bother with Dickey's. Some of the others Lew mentioned sound like they may have potential to be decent, but Dickey's isn't in the class of any of the barbecue I've tried in KC.

11. Lew Crippen

Well, I would admit that Dickey’s is not in a class with the best of Kansas City barbeque—but then it is not the best in Dallas either. For me, it is the best of the local chains.

There are plenty of barbeque in Kansas City that won’t match the places I mentioned (and many that I did not mention).

But the top places in both areas are worthy of high praise.

Just as the barbeque in North Carolina. Or the barbeque mutton around Owensboro, KY (I’ll bet you did not even know that a pit barbequed sheep could be great). Or the barbeque in Arkansas. Or around Memphis. I could go on, but for me, all of these places turn out food of the highest order.

You just have to go to the right place.

12. Darren Mortensen

Darren Mortensen Stunt Coordinator

WOW!

That gives me a great start! As for budget...no limit, really. I am open to sorts of dining..but more of the casual dress while on vacation. I do LUV BBQ, No Doubt!

The aquarium sounds cool, as well as the science attraction w/ IMAX...sounds like I should be packing an iron after dark,heh!

Don't kno bought snortin' any nitrate...but I have been known to burn some "herb".

I will definitely check out the newspaper link. I did a rather large search for FREE Dallas Vacation info, as well as the Dallas Camber of Commerce...but could'nt find any free mailers or pamphlets.

So, your help has been fantastic!

Can't wait to get to Dallas and "SHOCK THE MONKEY!"[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]