What's new

DVD Review Dallas: The Complete First Season (2012) Review (1 Viewer)

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
at j.r.'s funeral there was a flag over the coffin. i don't remember if the character served in the armed forces.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
kingfish said:
at j.r.'s funeral there was a flag over the coffin. i don't remember if the character served in the armed forces.
JR never did, but Larry Hagman did. so, it could be tribute to both Larry Hagman and JR.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
BTW: I have been watching various shows were Larry Hagman did a guess starring role. I watched amazing episode with Larry Hagman playing a DJ that women love to list too on the radio. T
he last scene was classic as larry is bad mouthing his fan and the engineer had him on the air!! RIP Larry Hagman - You were amazing actor!!!

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Paul I believe JR was in the service. The later season revealed that is where he found out he had a son James. The girl he met while stationed in Europe I believe. I also still maintain that Morgan Brittany is the one. She was voted on by fans as one of the old cast they would like to see on the new Dallas. The interview too and they talked to her about the new show. The Pam connection and we last see her tell Pam she will have everything that belong to Pam. She speaks this to the mummy in the hospital bed in season 11. She has the money and JR may have stumbled where she was keeping Pam so she killed both of them. I always liked when she told Cliff too that she was not finished with him either on the court house steps as her lawyers tell her to shut up in the last season before the dream season. She may have kids to by now who will go to war with the Barnes and the Ewings causing them to unite through Pam and John Ross. This is it for me too. The change on Friday will happen at warp speed and I will be still here with my Dallas DVDs

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
I watched the funeral episode and was a bit moved by the performance by Josh Henderson.  They made an interesting choice in having Bobby have a much more negative reaction - his character may slip a bit over the next few episodes. Given that this is effectively a new show, from new writers who are creating new characters, I strongly believe that the killer will be a character on the new show.  It won't be a ghost from the past who we haven't seen on the new show.    Some of those theories are interesting, but it would be extremely odd to suddenly wheel out William Smithers, who has never appeared on the TNT show and have him proclaim his guilt.  I also doubt it's the Venezuelans, although that's a strong possibility, given that J.R. threatened the main bad guy at the end of Season One, and who knows what wheels that set in motion?  I doubt that it's Judith Light's character.  Maybe it could be Ryland, or a killer hired by Ryland.  And I wouldn't discount the possibility that it's tied to Cliff Barnes.  I doubt that it's Rebecca, although that's possible.  J.R. did make a point of threatening her.  And if J.R. is shown to have anything to do with Pamela's death, that would tie that whole package together.  We'll see in a few episodes.
I know this is a new show with new characters, and one of them very well may be the killer. But, I really hope not. If that's the case, it will be a let-down...the killer will not have the "history" or past with J.R. as a lot of the original show cast. :confused: But, I agree that tons of past cast are not needed on this new show, and I seriously doubt William Smithers or Carter McKay will suddenly show and end up being the shooter. ;) Just because they were main adversaries of J.R. and the Ewings in the original show doesn't mean they will out of nowhere pop up now. However, I would think the killer of J.R. would need to be someone tied into the Ewings and the past (aka the original show). I still throw out the theory of Val...as we have not seen her yet and she's supposed to have an appearance. Maybe J.R. was trying to cheat Gary again, while he was in town, and Val found out about it and had enough? What about Afton Cooper? She's supposed to have an appearance too and maybe she shot J.R. for what he and John Ross have done to her daughter and what they're trying to do to Cliff? Again I really hope Cliff Barnes is not the actual killer...that would be way too obvious and almost "stupid" in a way. :rolleyes: If there's a character on the new show that would possibly be the killer, I agree it would probably have to be Harris Ryland. But, again Ryland and his "Norma Bates"-like mother do not have that much of a past with J.R.--they would be more likely to kill Bobby or even Ann. However, supposedly J.R. was trying to investigate Ryland for something that Bobby could use against him...so that could be the motive for Ryland being the shooter. Or maye Ryland had it done, and it'll still be someone that shocks us, that we're not expecting. Again...what if the killer was Ann herself, for what J.R. had done to Bobby and Christopher once he came back into their lives? We just don't know...I can't wait to find out and time will give us our answers! :)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
HunterMan said:
I know this is a new show with new characters, and one of them very well may be the killer. But, I really hope not. If that's the case, it will be a let-down...the killer will not have the "history" or past with J.R. as a lot of the original show cast. :confused: But, I agree that tons of past cast are not needed on this new show, and I seriously doubt William Smithers or Carter McKay will suddenly show and end up being the shooter. ;) Just because they were main adversaries of J.R. and the Ewings in the original show doesn't mean they will out of nowhere pop up now. However, I would think the killer of J.R. would need to be someone tied into the Ewings and the past (aka the original show). I still throw out the theory of Val...as we have not seen her yet and she's supposed to have an appearance. Maybe J.R. was trying to cheat Gary again, while he was in town, and Val found out about it and had enough? What about Afton Cooper? She's supposed to have an appearance too and maybe she shot J.R. for what he and John Ross have done to her daughter and what they're trying to do to Cliff? Again I really hope Cliff Barnes is not the actual killer...that would be way too obvious and almost "stupid" in a way. :rolleyes: If there's a character on the new show that would possibly be the killer, I agree it would probably have to be Harris Ryland. But, again Ryland and his "Norma Bates"-like mother do not have that much of a past with J.R.--they would be more likely to kill Bobby or even Ann. However, supposedly J.R. was trying to investigate Ryland for something that Bobby could use against him...so that could be the motive for Ryland being the shooter. Or maye Ryland had it done, and it'll still be someone that shocks us, that we're not expecting. Again...what if the killer was Ann herself, for what J.R. had done to Bobby and Christopher once he came back into their lives? We just don't know...I can't wait to find out and time will give us our answers! :)
Bobby Ewing has said that nothing ever appears to be as it seems with JR. Bobby knows JR is very capable of bringing in some bad people just to make a deal and then screwing them later. The current plot has pieces, like Ryland and his dirty business with trucking and/or Cliff being brought to keep the barnes ewing fued. The comment by Bobby saying that we are dealing with a nasty person does not fit Cliff. Cliff is brutal and the last seen with him about the daughter and the oil rig blowing up shows he has no heart. However, the lack of heart does not mean he is that nasty or would stoop to contiuing JR as that would be too obvious and i am not sure the writers would go that direction.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
The last episode was very good with the appearance of Afton. Afton look amazing, especially with her insults directed to Cliff. I love it when she called Cliff a bad drunk and embarassment!

The addition of Lee Majors was well timed and love how he talks about Sue Ellen chosing JR over him. Lee Majors will always be one of my favs due to his work on Six Million Dollar Man and/or the Fall Guy!

The last scene was well timed with PI bring info about Pam. The Pam line is something the writers had left open with the hopes Vicky Principal would change her mind and that is not the case. My suspicions like other posters have said is that Vicky is dead and that Christopher is set to inherit 1/3 of Barnes Global. 1/3 ownership of Katherine is another interesting area as Bobby said she is dead. One would think there is will to what should happen with Katharine's share. I am more curious about Katherine share as she sold good portion to escape from prosecution. So, does Katherine really owned 1/3 interest in Barnes Global? The interesting plot could be Christopher inherits Pam and Katherine share and takes over Barnes Global and punts Cliff's out of the company.

I think the Ryland Trucking angle is another one that has potential to evolve as well. The grandmother has been sent to a hospital, which tells me Ryland is trying to silence her and then take over the company from her.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I agree that Audrey Landers looked great in her appearance. She actually has aged the best out of the original cast, and it was fun watching her and the other original characters snarling at each other. At least it gave Bobby a good line about her claws.

I think there's a bit more going on than meets the eye with J.R.'s death. I don't think it was a simple case of murder. The other pieces of the puzzle are just coming out now, so I have a feeling we'll be getting a bit more about them with each episode until the finale.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Kevin EK said:
I agree that Audrey Landers looked great in her appearance. She actually has aged the best out of the original cast, and it was fun watching her and the other original characters snarling at each other. At least it gave Bobby a good line about her claws.

I think there's a bit more going on than meets the eye with J.R.'s death. I don't think it was a simple case of murder. The other pieces of the puzzle are just coming out now, so I have a feeling we'll be getting a bit more about them with each episode until the finale.
Bobby showing Sue ellen the connection is part of the overall plan, i.e. Ryland running drugs up with his freight or Cliff wanting to destroy the Ewings once an for all as pay back for Digger or Pamela will be dead and Christopher will inherit 1/3 of Barnes Global.

The Governor was a neat selection as it was guy from Wings. It took me a little bit of time to figure him out. Dallas would not be Dallas if there was not some sort of conspiracy. The woman that Carlos brought in to see bobby was good lead into JR''s death as she was with him before he died. So, i have sneaky suspicions that it was Ryland's henchman that did the killing as JR was getting to close to Ryland.

Lee Majors handing over the election contribution to Sue Ellen/Bobby was also icing on the cake that many people are involved with dismantling of the Ewings. I am not surprised as JR had many enemies that were waiting for their opportunities to finished the Ewings!

The next two weeks will be douple features and it will be interesting to watch the climatic end to S2. The writers should be commended on their plot lines as they were able to keep many of us captivated for next few episodes.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Now that the Season 2 finale has aired, we all know the answers to the questions regarding JR's death and regarding Pamela.

I'm curious to hear the responses to the revelations, now that people have had time to watch the last two eps.

I believe the show will come back for a third season, but I'm not sure how many eps they'll do.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
Now that the Season 2 finale has aired, we all know the answers to the questions regarding JR's death and regarding Pamela.

I'm curious to hear the responses to the revelations, now that people have had time to watch the last two eps.

I believe the show will come back for a third season, but I'm not sure how many eps they'll do.
I have a friend and she too loves "Dallas". She said she read a twitter message from Patrick Duffy that said the show will come back for a 3rd season...but that it will probably be sometime in 2014, as everything for 3rd season had to be unbelievably rushed & everyone had to work insane crazy hours to get the "new" episodes filmed, all because of Larry Hagman's death. He stated that the producers and writers want to really spend time on the episodes and make them "good" and captivating...plus everyone needed a huge break after the hecktic filming schedule. So, I think we can count on a 3rd season...but as Kevin stated we don't know how many episodes yet. I would hope they could do another 15 like season 2.

I was a little disappointed with Bum being the actual shooter of J.R.. :unsure: However, before here (back on March 13th)...I threw out the theory when we knew J.R. was gonna die, that what if he organized his own death--either because he was ill (like Larry Hagman) or all to save the family business, Sue Ellen, and John Ross--& what did they do? :) I love how they "framed" Cliff...as he is not the same Cliff from the original show. He's no longer an angry, upset man for understandable reasons...he's an evil, horrible man, almost sociopath, with no conscience or feeling left. He and Ryland are crazy! :blink: I love how Emma helped set him up too...I hope both those turds rot in prison. But, I bet in season 3 both will return. ;) I wonder if Ryland's psycho mother (Judith Light) will return in season 3 too :eek: ... how they had her character "leave" (for now) seemed pretty open-ended and obvious to me. ;)

Once we knew Pam was not going to make an appearance, I figured they'd have her be dead. :thumbsdown: I do not like that aspect and think it's stupid! :angry: If they still had her "out there" somewhere there could always be the chance that someday she'd come back. But, at least we do have some closure with her and the character. :wacko:

Now we get to find out what was in that brief case with Emma and John Ross, and what will become of Elena's issue of her ancestor getting cheated out of oil-rich land by J.R.--leading us into season 3! :cheers:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I was fine with the finale while watching it, but if you tug on the threads a little, the whole sweater comes undone.

Ahem...SPOILERS:

We are told that JR did what he did because of a terminal diagnosis never shown before that comes out of left field. It's moving to us because we know that's what happened to Larry Hagman, but in that case everyone knew about it. For J.R. it's a sudden idea. I have no problem with him being the only one to have taken himself down. (Although various things did happen to him during the original series, like being thrown in jail, thrown in the mental hospital, thrown out of his company, shot, shot again, punched out by Ray while setting the mansion on fire, etc...)

The Pam story was interesting in that they tied it in with what we knew from the original series. Essentially, she did exactly what was indicated during her last appearance. She tried to get treatment and it failed. But the kicker here is that somehow this was kept totally, totally hidden with an added issue that supposedly Cliff was keeping the inheritance from Christopher. But why would Cliff in 1989 do that? He had no problems with Christopher that I recall. He saw Christopher as his sister's son. The Cliff Barnes I recall from the series would have wanted Christopher to take that inheritance and be a Barnes. We are also asked to believe that the doctor, when confronted with Christopher on his doorstep, would outright lie to him in an especially cruel and toxic manner and then one day later suddenly crumble like cotton candy. There's an unfortunately big stretch there.

The idea of Bobby going along with J.R.'s plan is also a bit sketchy. If the plan was always to frame Cliff, why would Bobby go along with this BEFORE what Cliff did to the rig. I can see him doing it afterward, given Cliff having knowingly blown the rig - but I don't know that Bobby ever knew the extent of Cliff's actions. WE know, since we were shown it, but I don't think Bobby knew. We can say Cliff got his just desserts, for now, but it's a very aggressive move by Bobby.

I have to wonder why Cliff has been sitting on information about the Ramos family for the last two years. Given that he was behind the whole eminent domain idea, wouldn't he want to enlist the Ramoses in his plan to unseat the Ewings? Why is it that he waits until he's in prison to suddenly spring that idea? This isn't something he suddenly found out about - he clearly had done research at some point in the past. The more logical approach would be for him to turn the Ramoses against the Ewings while the Ewings were at their lowest point, thus driving a wedge into the works. This will clearly be a plot point for next season, but it's a bit fishy in its outset. And it should be easily fixed by Elena showing the documents to Bobby, who she trusts. Once Bobby sees JR's signature and the back-door way that was handled, he can easily switch the deeds for her - it doesn't hurt his company and it shows the connection between the Ramoses and the Ewings. But for some reason, Elena flies off the handle and goes down a different road. Which is a bit out of character for her.

The Ryland thing is a bit more interesting. If I'm reading this right, little Emma is actually just as manipulative as her father. They've given her a strange ride this year. She goes from being poor little brainwashed rich girl who believes everything her father says to being girl on the run from her manipulative father to girl who's taking lots of drugs to girl who sets up her father and gives his materials to John Ross so they can have an affair. (I left out the part where they were starting to have an affair right after JR's death but that just overly complicates this picture). Are we to think that she was planning to do this for the whole second half of the season? Or is she just changing each time the plot twists? We'll need to see what she does early next season - I think she's going to be played as a younger version of her father and possibly more dangerous. And yes, I'm sure her father will get out of jail in short order while the sketchy nature of the charges gets appealed. If Ann could get off after brazenly shooting him in his home, he won't be in jail that long. Cliff on the other hand, I don't know. They may leave him in jail in Mexico...

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
I was fine with the finale while watching it, but if you tug on the threads a little, the whole sweater comes undone.

Ahem...SPOILERS:

We are told that JR did what he did because of a terminal diagnosis never shown before that comes out of left field. It's moving to us because we know that's what happened to Larry Hagman, but in that case everyone knew about it. For J.R. it's a sudden idea. I have no problem with him being the only one to have taken himself down. (Although various things did happen to him during the original series, like being thrown in jail, thrown in the mental hospital, thrown out of his company, shot, shot again, punched out by Ray while setting the mansion on fire, etc...)

The Pam story was interesting in that they tied it in with what we knew from the original series. Essentially, she did exactly what was indicated during her last appearance. She tried to get treatment and it failed. But the kicker here is that somehow this was kept totally, totally hidden with an added issue that supposedly Cliff was keeping the inheritance from Christopher. But why would Cliff in 1989 do that? He had no problems with Christopher that I recall. He saw Christopher as his sister's son. The Cliff Barnes I recall from the series would have wanted Christopher to take that inheritance and be a Barnes. We are also asked to believe that the doctor, when confronted with Christopher on his doorstep, would outright lie to him in an especially cruel and toxic manner and then one day later suddenly crumble like cotton candy. There's an unfortunately big stretch there.

The idea of Bobby going along with J.R.'s plan is also a bit sketchy. If the plan was always to frame Cliff, why would Bobby go along with this BEFORE what Cliff did to the rig. I can see him doing it afterward, given Cliff having knowingly blown the rig - but I don't know that Bobby ever knew the extent of Cliff's actions. WE know, since we were shown it, but I don't think Bobby knew. We can say Cliff got his just desserts, for now, but it's a very aggressive move by Bobby.

I have to wonder why Cliff has been sitting on information about the Ramos family for the last two years. Given that he was behind the whole eminent domain idea, wouldn't he want to enlist the Ramoses in his plan to unseat the Ewings? Why is it that he waits until he's in prison to suddenly spring that idea? This isn't something he suddenly found out about - he clearly had done research at some point in the past. The more logical approach would be for him to turn the Ramoses against the Ewings while the Ewings were at their lowest point, thus driving a wedge into the works. This will clearly be a plot point for next season, but it's a bit fishy in its outset. And it should be easily fixed by Elena showing the documents to Bobby, who she trusts. Once Bobby sees JR's signature and the back-door way that was handled, he can easily switch the deeds for her - it doesn't hurt his company and it shows the connection between the Ramoses and the Ewings. But for some reason, Elena flies off the handle and goes down a different road. Which is a bit out of character for her.

The Ryland thing is a bit more interesting. If I'm reading this right, little Emma is actually just as manipulative as her father. They've given her a strange ride this year. She goes from being poor little brainwashed rich girl who believes everything her father says to being girl on the run from her manipulative father to girl who's taking lots of drugs to girl who sets up her father and gives his materials to John Ross so they can have an affair. (I left out the part where they were starting to have an affair right after JR's death but that just overly complicates this picture). Are we to think that she was planning to do this for the whole second half of the season? Or is she just changing each time the plot twists? We'll need to see what she does early next season - I think she's going to be played as a younger version of her father and possibly more dangerous. And yes, I'm sure her father will get out of jail in short order while the sketchy nature of the charges gets appealed. If Ann could get off after brazenly shooting him in his home, he won't be in jail that long. Cliff on the other hand, I don't know. They may leave him in jail in Mexico...
First...I'd like to figure out how to get notified again, when repiles to posts I'm following are made. It was never a problem on the old forum. I have the setting to notify me immediately when replies are made...but I'm not always getting notified. :mellow:

Anyway, "Dallas" has always had fairly "stretchy" storylines if we compare them to real life. Also, they had to do insanely fast last minute changes to storylines and episodes to coincide with Larry's death. That's why Patrick Duffy said in that twitter message, that everyone had to film like crazy and changes had to be made all over to now include J.R.'s death...so everyone needs a break and the writers need to time to really "polish" the episodes for season 3. But, in hindsight I think they did a superb job with what happened and what they had to do to make the season work! :thumbsup: Really, I don't think the perverbial "sweater" comes undone if tugged...it only weaves itself into more twists you have to wait to see unraveled. ;)

I didn't really like the idea of Bum being the actual shooter...that was kind of a let-down. :mellow: But, I just found it kind of "wild" that about a month and a half ago I threw out the theory that what if J.R. orchestrates his own death...to help save his family and the business. I actually just came up with that as more of a joke, or something I never thought they'd do...and yet they did just that! I just found it ironic for myself. As for them making J.R. ill with cancer and about ready to die...that makes sense if you think about it. J.R. looked sick because Larry was. He has not looked well at all since the first few episodes of the first season. So, it would only be explained by J.R. having cancer and keeping it from the family to set in motion his "masterpiece" plan to get revenge on Cliff and Ryland.

As for Pam...they did go back to the original series to explain her death, and that makes sense too. But, she was only stated to "might not live much longer" because of a possible terminal illness in that last episode of hers in '89--which was actually Margaret Michaels playing the part, and not Victoria. It never said for certain she did die, and left her character somewhat open-ended. They've had her be "out there" somewhere until recently...as Victoria has always refused to be a part of the new show. I think they finally decided to kill her off for good. I still hate that idea and it angers me. :angry: But, like I said before at least there is closure for the character.

As for Cliff not giving Christopher his mother's shares in what was originally Barnes-Wentworth (not Barnes Global), that doesn't surprise me at all! Even though he was not evil, and a sociopath, like he is now...he's always been greedy and resentful when it came to the Ewings. He knew Bobby would never let Christopher become a "Barnes" and go to his uncles company...and Cliff wanted the company all to himself anyway. Katherine was dead, he had his and his mother's shares...now he could get Pam's, after she was deceased. It makes sense...it's still Cliff. As for things Cliff knew before about the Ramos family...who knows why he waited until now to expose them?? That's one thing that's going to probably be made clear in season 3.

Bobby would go along with J.R.'s plan, even before the rig blew, if he knew that Cliff was in league with the Rylands & the "dirty" governor to destroy the family, both personally and in business--and he knew that from what J.R. left him. That's not a shock to me at all. Cliff having the rig blow, knowing there were people still on it (including his own pregnant daughter :blink:) only made it somewhat easier for Bobby to carry out J.R.'s masterpiece. None of that was really a stretch for me to see happening. Bobby was not as cold-hearted or "dirty" as J.R. for sure...but you mess with the family (especially on a personal level) and watch out!! :eek: Bobby has always been known to have a huge temper.

I do find the different personality traits to Emma Ryland somewhat confusing...but still "interesting" too. She did seem to be innocent and abused one minute...to being viscious and conniving the next. This could be explained by her being hooked to perscription anti-depressants, and her strange mood-swings. Which makes her dangerous and a loose cannon, so-to-speak. I think the whole ending with John Ross, Emma, and the brief case is a definite lead into season 3...and I think it was planned by John Ross & her all along. He's just like J.R. (from tip to tail :P) as I think he does love Pamela & wanted to marry her...but he still likes screwing any woman he can, when he can, on the side--especially if it gets him something he wants. Can we say J.R. and Sue Ellen's marriage/s all over again! :laugh:

I'm sure everything will be explained and will move onto other plot developments in season 3...these new plot twists at the end of season 2 were purposefully done to "wet" our appetite in anticipation for the next season. I'm not sure when in 2014 the show will return...but I've heard one rumor that it might be in the summer again. Time will tell! :D

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I hear you, Drew, and we should definitely cut them a little slack.

But at the same time, I've been working in TV for some time, and these guys had plenty of time to reset their closing episodes, at least initially. The place where they had to scramble with the writing was for the funeral itself, once he suddenly passed away. They did get pressed to deliver the episodes on time, but that was due to TNT moving up the airdates for the last 4 episodes by presenting them as two hour blocks, thus making them air two episodes a week ahead of schedule and the season finale TWO WEEKS ahead of schedule.

The Pamela story was done I think to provide closure for the fans more than the character, and to give Christopher an added incentive to be part of the big plan. Given that the producers had never intended to include Pamela in the new series, and given that Victoria Principal herself had also said she had moved on, doing the story allowed the producers to stay with what the original show had established and at least answer that question without having to bring the character back into the situation.

As for Cliff, the character back in the 1980s was very much in love with Sue Ellen, and very protective of his family, including Pamela. He was willing to work with Bobby Ewing from time to time, but he hated JR and Jock. I believe he regularly showed affection to Christopher when he had scenes with him and Pamela. So it's a leap for me to believe that he decided to cut everyone out in 1989 - particularly since Christopher was his last connection to Pamela after her death. For purposes of the new series, the producers have now said that he was doing exactly what you described - cutting everyone else out and hogging it all for himself. And that works for the 2013 Cliff. It works for the man we saw call for the rig to be blown while his daughter was still on it. I don't know it works for the character I saw in the 80s and can still watch on DVD if I want to jump back in time...

The thing with JR's plan is that I don't believe that Cliff, the governor and Ryland were all in cahoots before JR died. What JR found was proof of Ryland's drug dealings, and he already knew Cliff's tendencies and traveling schedule. The information left by JR told Bobby how to frame Cliff for JR's death, and gave him leads both on Ryland and on Pamela's death certificate. I suppose Bobby was waiting to see how Cliff would behave, and we could go with the idea that the growing information aout Cliff and Ryland's collusion with the Governor prompted him to go forward with JR's plan. Once it was clear that those three guys were out to destroy the Ewings, Bobby went ahead and played JR's cards. If I think of Bobby trying to do this before he knew the rest of the information (and he never knew all of it), it's a fairly aggressive move for Bobby. He could get very angry even in the original series, but it's a jump for him to actively frame an innocent man.

The obvious point to the Ramos deed and the Emma morph is to create some conflict going into the new season. My issue with them is that they are sudden zigs and zags, rather than ones that organically grow out of the prior events. And again, for Elena, this is a pretty big step out of character for her. The Elena Ramos we've known for the past two years would not just assume that Cliff was being straight with her, and even if she thought he had good information, her next step would be to call Bobby and say "What the heck?", not fly off the handle and disappear into Mexico...

We'll just have to see what they come up with - It will be a little while before summer 2014, which I agree with you is the earliest I could see them returning...

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
I hear you, Drew, and we should definitely cut them a little slack.

But at the same time, I've been working in TV for some time, and these guys had plenty of time to reset their closing episodes, at least initially. The place where they had to scramble with the writing was for the funeral itself, once he suddenly passed away. They did get pressed to deliver the episodes on time, but that was due to TNT moving up the airdates for the last 4 episodes by presenting them as two hour blocks, thus making them air two episodes a week ahead of schedule and the season finale TWO WEEKS ahead of schedule.

The Pamela story was done I think to provide closure for the fans more than the character, and to give Christopher an added incentive to be part of the big plan. Given that the producers had never intended to include Pamela in the new series, and given that Victoria Principal herself had also said she had moved on, doing the story allowed the producers to stay with what the original show had established and at least answer that question without having to bring the character back into the situation.

As for Cliff, the character back in the 1980s was very much in love with Sue Ellen, and very protective of his family, including Pamela. He was willing to work with Bobby Ewing from time to time, but he hated JR and Jock. I believe he regularly showed affection to Christopher when he had scenes with him and Pamela. So it's a leap for me to believe that he decided to cut everyone out in 1989 - particularly since Christopher was his last connection to Pamela after her death. For purposes of the new series, the producers have now said that he was doing exactly what you described - cutting everyone else out and hogging it all for himself. And that works for the 2013 Cliff. It works for the man we saw call for the rig to be blown while his daughter was still on it. I don't know it works for the character I saw in the 80s and can still watch on DVD if I want to jump back in time...

The thing with JR's plan is that I don't believe that Cliff, the governor and Ryland were all in cahoots before JR died. What JR found was proof of Ryland's drug dealings, and he already knew Cliff's tendencies and traveling schedule. The information left by JR told Bobby how to frame Cliff for JR's death, and gave him leads both on Ryland and on Pamela's death certificate. I suppose Bobby was waiting to see how Cliff would behave, and we could go with the idea that the growing information aout Cliff and Ryland's collusion with the Governor prompted him to go forward with JR's plan. Once it was clear that those three guys were out to destroy the Ewings, Bobby went ahead and played JR's cards. If I think of Bobby trying to do this before he knew the rest of the information (and he never knew all of it), it's a fairly aggressive move for Bobby. He could get very angry even in the original series, but it's a jump for him to actively frame an innocent man.

The obvious point to the Ramos deed and the Emma morph is to create some conflict going into the new season. My issue with them is that they are sudden zigs and zags, rather than ones that organically grow out of the prior events. And again, for Elena, this is a pretty big step out of character for her. The Elena Ramos we've known for the past two years would not just assume that Cliff was being straight with her, and even if she thought he had good information, her next step would be to call Bobby and say "What the heck?", not fly off the handle and disappear into Mexico...

We'll just have to see what they come up with - It will be a little while before summer 2014, which I agree with you is the earliest I could see them returning...
Hi, Kevin...I actually got an email notification this time! :)

Anyway, I don't really know how rushed they were with the whole season...I was just going by what Patrick Duffy had stated in his twitter message. I think once Larry Hagman died, it kind of threw a curve towards what plots they had planned...so they had to kind of scramble to figure out how to incroporate J.R.'s death and still keep some of the same storylines.

Yeah, I agree the Pam thing was to give closure to the character and allow Christopher to become part of the main "picture", so-to-speak. I think if Victoria had agreed at one point to at least make one appearance, the producers/writers would have gone with it. But, since she's always refused to have anything to do with the new show (and hardly will have much to do with the original now) I think they finally just decided to end the questions and rumors--and give fans closure for Pam...whether they like the closure given or not. I of course do not like it...but at least we have a definite answer and can move on. Although I truly don't believe it would ever happen...on "Dallas" though, anything is possible. First that stupid doctor/husband tells Christopher that his mother's alive but never wants to see him again...then he says actually she's dead and has been since 1989. Really?? Make up your mind, stupid! :P What if Pam was still alive but was being kept hidden...or had lost her memory because of her injuries and had no memory of her former life--until she suddenly starts having flashbacks? Yeah, I know, won't happen...but with this show you never know. ;)

As for Cliff...I'm sorry but what he did in 89 by keeping Christopher from getting his mother's shares was not out of character. I went through the entire original series again last year to get ready for the first season premiere in summer of 12--and even though he did get along with Bobby more in the early years...even by the time Christopher was adopted he was having major fights with the Ewings...including Bobby. He and Bobby always kind of went back and forth of whether they were getting along at that moment, or not. But, either way Cliff was always greedy when it came to himself...he always felt it was owed to him, no matter how he got what he wanted (except he didn't resort to killing in the 80's ;) ). He even cheated and/or went behind Pam's back with several financial things and/or business deals. Cliff was also never that close to Christopher...just because he was his nephew and Pam's son. He was nice to Christopher as a child, when he was around him, but there was never this like "My favorite Uncle Cliff" thing going on. There was never a family bond there. So, especially as a child, who Cliff knew was going to be raised in the Ewing tradition and would probably be against him, Cliff would have no trouble taking Pam's shares of Barnes-Wentworth (now Barnes Global) and keeping them all to himself. He would feel they were rightfully his anyway...and Christopher would have plenty of his family's money/business when he grew up. None of that was out of character for either the 80's or the 2000's Cliff. Greed has always been there...but now we also have evil and no hesitation with having someone killed. :wacko: I used to feel somewhat sorry for Cliff in the old days...but now he's an evil, sociopathic, troll! :blink: But, I still like the character of Cliff...he's different now and much more unpredictable than the old days. He helps keep things interesting. ;)

I actually think that yes...Ryland and Cliff were in cahoots early on to try and destroy and take over the Ewings. They then fairly soon forced the corrupt governor into the deal because basically Ryland "owned" him. J.R. discovered a lot of this (including Ryland's drug business in Mexico) in his and Bum's own secret investigation. J.R. knew he was dying fairly quickly and wrote all the info in the letters to Bobby and the family. They were to carry on and carry out J.R.'s masterpiece because he would not be there to do it for them. Bobby would never just go out and try to frame Cliff...but Cliff basically got himself framed. And, I still say that if someone was trying to destroy the Ewing family (especially personally) Bobby would have no trouble taking down the person/s responsible. There were several times in the original series that Bobby went along with J.R.'s plans, even though he didn't like them, to save the family and the family business. He did what needed to be done if it meant saving the family. Cliff basically dug the "hole" he found himself in, and after what Cliff had done to everyone, Bobby really had no trouble leaving Cliff in that "hole". ;) However, Bobby did offer Cliff a way out, so-to-speak...but Cliff refused. So be it.

Yeah, the whole character of Emma seemed to zig and zag all over...I agree. I'm not sure if all that was planned...or it just sort of ended up coming out that way? :huh: But, I do think some of it was planned and was definite openers for season 3. Was Elena going off into Mexico at the end?? I thought she was furious by what Cliff had told her and she was on her way back to Southfork to confront either Bobby, Christopher, or both...but the episode ended before she got there--of course ending in the famous "Dallas" cliffhanger. But, maybe I'm wrong on that one?

We'll have to wait and see! Even though the ratings at the beginning of season 2 were a little "rocky" compared to first season...the ratings did pick back up as the season went along! Also, "Dallas" is still TNT's most watched and popular show...as "Monday Mornings" and "Southland's" ratings have basically tanked all the way around. Nothing's been confirmed officially...but I would like it if the show came back in the summer instead! I think it's the best time for it, and would give fans an opportunity to watch when their other shows are on hiatus. But, whenever, I can't wait for season 3!! :thumbs-up-smiley:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
TNT has indeed picked up the new Dallas for a third season, once again of 15 episodes. So we'll get to see some answers to the questions from the cliffhanger. And then there will be new questions asked, of course. Not too shabby for a show that was originally a hit thirty years ago. Now they'll have 40 new episodes of it. Let's see if they can keep it going into a fourth season.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
TNT has indeed picked up the new Dallas for a third season, once again of 15 episodes. So we'll get to see some answers to the questions from the cliffhanger. And then there will be new questions asked, of course. Not too shabby for a show that was originally a hit thirty years ago. Now they'll have 40 new episodes of it. Let's see if they can keep it going into a fourth season.
Yeah, I saw that...read it formally announced on ultimatedallas.com the other day! Awesome!! :thumbsup: :thumbs-up-smiley: However, despite a rumor I'd heard that season 3 might come back in the summer of 2014...the article on ultimatedallas hints that the show might return again in say January. No formal premiere date, though, has been stated yet. Here's a copy of the ultimatedallas article:

[Dallas fans can rejoice.

TNT has renewed the hit drama series for a third season. Produced by Warner Horizon Television, Dallas centers on the Ewing clan, an enormously wealthy Texas family whose sibling rivalries, romantic betrayals, corruption and even murder are truly legendary. TNT has ordered 15 episodes for the third season, which is slated to launch in early 2014.

“Dallas has built a passionately loyal following with its expertly woven storylines, clever twists and turns, and numerous outstanding performances by a cast that spans generations,” said Michael Wright, president, head of programming for TNT, TBS and Turner Classic Movies (TCM). “Although we said goodbye to Larry Hagman and his iconic character J.R. Ewing this year, Dallas has many more stories left to tell, and the Ewing clan will continue to honor J.R.’s memory by keeping its audience surprised and delighted.”

TNT’s Dallas stars Patrick Duffy as Bobby Ewing, who is now the senior member of the Ewing family following the death of his older brother, J.R. Ewing. Linda Gray stars as Sue Ellen Ewing, J.R.’s former wife and the mother of his son, John Ross, played by Josh Henderson. Jesse Metcalfe is Christopher, Bobby’s adopted son, and Jordana Brewster is Elena Ramos, who grew up in the Ewing household and is now fighting for her own family’s legacy. Julie Gonzalo is Pamela Rebecca Barnes, Christopher’s ex-wife and the daughter of Cliff Barnes (Ken Kercheval), a longtime rival of the Ewings. Brenda Strong stars as Bobby’s wife, Ann, while Mitch Pileggi stars as Harris Ryland, Ann’s scheming ex-husband. The ensemble cast also includes Emma Bell as Emma Brown, a sheltered beauty whose father has taught her to distrust the world around her, and Kuno Becker as Drew Ramos, Elena’s troubled brother who has recently returned to Southfork.

Dallas launched on TNT last summer and ranked as basic cable’s #1 new drama of 2012 with key adult demos. In its second season, Dallas has averaged 3.8 million viewers in Live + 7 delivery, with 1.6 million adults 25-54 and 1.4 million adults 18-49.]

So...perhaps we'll see season 3 next January...we'll have to wait and see. ;) I truly hope they can keep this new series going for several more seasons. I think having shorter seasons, actually helps some of these cable shows and I love that new format! I actually wish the show would go back to the summer again, but I really don't care that much...I'll take "Dallas" anytime, anywhere!! :banana:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Glad to hear there will be a third season, i was a huge fan of the original Dallas and i think this new one is strong, good acting and quality plotlines, we get the final episode of season 2 next week, i haven't read the last few pages in order to avoid any spoilers.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
"Dallas" will return in January (2014) with Season 3. I truly hope things will go smoother with ratings this time...but hopefully they won't have to deal with deaths and having to rewrite/revamp half the season this time around. :wacko: Can't wait for January!! :cheers:

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Here's some new info about "Dallas" Second Season DVD release--complete with cover art. Special features sound awesome too! However, at this time a release date for the U.S. and Canada is not known yet. :unsure: But, hopefully one will be officially stated soon. :

Dallas The Complete Second Season comes to DVD in the UK on October 7th 2013, the release date for the US/Canada is TBC.
The second season of the TNT series bids a fond farewell to JR Ewing played by Larry Hagman

Synopsis: J.R. Ewing (Larry Hagman), one of the most iconic television villains of all time, takes his last breath under very suspicious circumstances but not before stirring up a season’s worth of Texas-size trouble. J.R. deviously guides his son, John Ross (Josh Henderson), in stealing the family business from Christopher (Jesse Metcalfe) and Bobby (Patrick Duffy), while the ladies take their own sides. Sue Ellen (Linda Gray) runs for governor, Ann (Brenda Strong) takes aim at her ex, Harris (Mitch Pileggi), and Pamela (Julie Gonzalo) and Elena (Jordana Brewster) prove that being beautiful and fighting dirty sometimes go hand in hand. Plus, Elena’s brother, Drew (Kuno Becker), and Ann’s long-lost daughter, Emma (Emma Bell), add their own agendas to life at Southfork. It’s a season of must-see drama and even though J.R. and his Stetson are laid to rest, he’s still calling the shots, bequeathing a legacy he calls his “masterpiece,” which leaves the normally unshakable Ewing family in shock.

Special Features:
DALLAS AT PALEYFEST 2013
J.R’s MASTERPIECE (Directors Cut)
ONE LAST CONVERSATION WITH LARRY HAGMAN
DALLAS FASHION FILES
MEMORIES OF LARRY HAGMAN: A CAST & CREW TRIBUTE
THE BATTLE FOR EWING ENERGIES: BLOOD IS THICKER THAN OIL
DELETED SCENES (To Be Confirmed)

DVD RELEASE DATES:
UK/IRELAND: October 7th 2013
DENMARK: November 12th 2013
NORWAY: November 13th 2013
SWEDEN: November 13th 2013
FRANCE: February 20th 2014
USA/CANADA: TBA

COVER ART SECOND SEASON:

dallas-tnt-dvd-season-two-cover.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks