What's new

DVD Review Dallas: The Complete First Season (2012) Review (1 Viewer)

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
I always liked the character of Pam, particularly as originally envisioned by David Jacobs.  She was the point person for the audience - she was our way into the world of the Ewings.   But as I understand it, she chose to leave the series, much as Patrick Duffy chose to leave it two years prior.  The difference was that where her character really had been played out, his was necessary as a counterpoint to JR's shenanigans.  You needed his virtues to bal ance out JR's lack of them.  Also as I understand it, neither Pam nor Principal was ever considered at any point as someone to have in the new series.  Cynthia Cidre has been fairly blunt about this, saying that she had mapped out the entire 2nd season and had no intention of trying to include Pam in the situation.  As it is, the series is fairly plot-heavy and character-heavy.  Her character would be extraneous to the materials already percolating about John Ross, Christopher and Elena, not to mention the materials about Bobby's health and his wife's past, Sue Ellen's political ambitions, and of course the machinations of Rebecca now that we know who she is.  Pam would simply be a call-back to the original show without a plot to support her, or at least a necessary one. The idea that I really wonder about is whether Cliff Barnes will appear at JR's funeral.  There's a moment from the great TV series Wiseguy (while it lasted, during its first two years), wherein there was a rock rivalry between Tim Curry and Paul Winfield where each had promised the other that in the event that the other died first, the survivor would dance on the grave.  I really could see Cliff happily dancing on JR's grave.  And then being punched out by Bobby, Gary and Ray.  For old times sake.
It was Victoria Principal's choice to leave the original series. She wanted to go on to other things and business endeavors. I don't think her character would ever have been "played" out, as neither would Bobby's. I was glad they brought him back....and hated how they had Pam "exit". It left you hanging, and open-ended. She needs closure somehow (perferrably without killing her off). Cynthia Cidre may not plan on Pam being in the 2nd season...but I've read several places that back when they were putting together the 1st season, Principal was asked to have some appearances but she declined. Because of that, by now Cidre may not plan to ever have Pam appear. But, if you recall Pam's character was mentioned or referred to a lot during the 1st season...almost giving you the "impression" that she might suddenly make an appearance somewhere along the line. I don't think if "magically" Pam would appear somewhere along the line it would "drag" any plotlines down at all...if they did it right, that might be one of the most watched or anticipated episodes of the new series! But, whether it was Victoria's, Cynthia's, or both of their choices...that does not appear to be likely anytime soon. :( I cannot immagine that Cliff Barnes would not appear at J.R.'s funeral! :laugh: Even before the 1st season ended, they already had plans for Cliff in season 2. I can't wait to see how they play out J.R.'s death and funeral...they say it's going to equal the shock of the original "Who Shot J.R.?" storyline....so who knows? It would not surprise me if J.R. is murdered and they have to figure out who did it. Of course Cliff would be the prime suspect...but that also would be too obvious. ;) We need a shock, and something we don't see coming. I can't wait for season 2!! :tu:

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
You're absolutely right that Pam's departure from the original series was dictated by Victoria Principal's wish to leave the show, just as Bobby's death had been mandated by Patrick Duffy wanting to move on. But Bobby was essential to the backbone of the series, where Pam wound up being less essential. At the same time, we could argue that losing Pam was one of the signs of the original series jumping the shark - the last few seasons don't strike me as having been particularly memorable. You're also absolutely right that many websites were buzzing with the notion that Victoria Principal would return. But that had nothing to do with the actual production. There was never any intention to bring her in. They were happy to just mention Pam a few times, to note that the character had existed. And in the original series, they had established that Pam likely died over 20 years ago of whatever terminal illness she had when Bobby found her in Paris. Any closure happened at that time. You're again right to note that we won't be seeing the character on the new series. It's nice that they remember the many touchstones of the original show. I agree that there's no way that Cliff wouldn't show up for J.R.'s funeral. No way. I can't imagine it ending without a fight between the Ewings and the Barneses. For old times sake. Heck, back in the old days, when both Cliff and Bobby were held hostage (Boy do I hope I have that one right), even when J.R. and the others engineered a rescue, it STILL ended in a Ewings/Barnes fight. It has always been thus...

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
You're absolutely right that Pam's departure from the original series was dictated by Victoria Principal's wish to leave the show, just as Bobby's death had been mandated by Patrick Duffy wanting to move on.  But Bobby was essential to the backbone of the series, where Pam wound up being less essential.  At the same time, we could argue that losing Pam was one of the signs of the original series jumping the shark - the last few seasons don't strike me as having been particularly memorable. You're also absolutely right that many websites were buzzing with the notion that Victoria Principal would return.  But that had nothing to do with the actual production.   There was never any intention to bring her in.  They were happy to just mention Pam a few times, to note that the character had existed.  And in the original series, they had established that Pam likely died over 20 years ago of whatever terminal illness she had when Bobby found her in Paris.  Any closure happened at that time.  You're again right to note that we won't be seeing the character on the new series.  It's nice that they remember the many touchstones of the original show. I agree that there's no way that Cliff wouldn't show up for J.R.'s funeral.  No way.  I can't imagine it ending without a fight between the Ewings and the Barneses.  For old times sake.  Heck, back in the old days, when both Cliff and Bobby were held hostage (Boy do I hope I have that one right), even when J.R. and the others engineered a rescue, it STILL ended in a Ewings/Barnes fight.  It has always been thus...
Kevin...are you involved with production of the new "Dallas"? Just curious, as you seem to have "definite" knowledge about the current series... If so, then you probably know for sure, but I've read articles with statements from actors (such as Patrick Duffy and others) and crew that said at one point Victoria was asked to make an appearance as Pam on the new show...but she declined. But, perhaps, those are lies or "exaggerations" by the media, or whoever, to try and hype up things. It was never stated for certain, that Pam died of some so-called terminal disease in the original series...only hinted that that might be what happened. Other times later, just had it that she disappeared and was never heard of again. The new series also stated this--never stating she'd died, only that she'd disappeared one day and no one ever heard from her again. This was NOT closure of any kind. ;) The whole "Pam" saga has always been open-ended, and one thing that has irritated most die-hard or "true" "Dallas" fans. They had just gotten Bobby and Pam back together and fans were elated...when suddenly Pam is in the accident and then disappears. :rolleyes: Her character had not "played out" for anyone...except for Victoria herself. We all know Victoria wanted to move on...although saddened, it's one of those things. But, we still needed some kind of closure for the character. Disappearing and never being heard from again, isn't exactly what fans had/have in mind. :td: I understand mentioning Pam's character from the original series a couple times mabye...but continually mentioning her without ever planning to have her on is kind of weird, and gives fans the wrong impression...as most "remembered" past "Dallas" characters are starting to pop up with cameo or occasional appearances on the new show. Nothing against anyone...it's just kind of odd. Whether it's the new production's choice, Victoria's choice, or both that Pam will never appear....it's still sad and irritating that the character still has no closure and is still out there somewhere. I wouldn't expect her and Bobby to get back together or anything...I think that's past...but it would still be awesome to have her make at least one appearance to let Bobby and her son Christopher know where she's at and that she still cares...as I keep stating...to give Pam true closure. But, anything on "Dallas" is always possible. One thing everyone knows when it comes to Hollywood and showbiz...never say never. If this new show goes beyond the 2nd season, and the death of J.R., then who knows? Mabye down the road a "Pam" appearance could be agreed on, by everyone? Probably not...but one never really knows until it does or doesn't happen. :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I wonder what's going to be in J.R.'s will...

Originally Posted by HunterMan
I understand mentioning Pam's character from the original series a couple times mabye...but continually mentioning her without ever planning to have her on is kind of weird, and gives fans the wrong impression...as most "remembered" past "Dallas" characters are starting to pop up with cameo or occasional appearances on the new show. Nothing against anyone...it's just kind of odd. Whether it's the new production's choice, Victoria's choice, or both that Pam will never appear....it's still sad and irritating that the character still has no closure and is still out there somewhere. I wouldn't expect her and Bobby to get back together or anything...I think that's past...but it would still be awesome to have her make at least one appearance to let Bobby and her son Christopher know where she's at and that she still cares...as I keep stating...to give Pam true closure.

I also never liked the fact that Bobby and Christopher's attitude after her disappearance was just to forget about it and let her go, especially Christopher. I just couldn't believe that about Bobby, who defied a long-standing family feud to marry Pam twice, nor Christopher, who was 6 years old and very close to her.

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'll try not to belabor this, as it could give the wrong impression about such things. I am as much a fan of the character of Pamela as of any of the original characters of Dallas from the first series. I found her character to be one of the most level-headed out of the bunch when things got started. And the writers loved to put her and Bobby into tragic situations, caused either by one of them keeping secrets from the other, or by fate, or usually by the machinations of JR. But after they'd done this for ten years, it's pretty clear that Victoria Principal wanted to move on and so chose to leave the series. Her character was written off in a fairly abrupt manner, but the series then returned to settle any questions with the single appearance in Paris. In that scene, a lookalike actress played a scene with Bobby, telling him that she had a new life, etc, and having him leave thinking she was happy where she was. After Bobby left, she then had an exchange with another man in the room who turns out to be her doctor, who asks her why she didn't say she had a terminal illness and would likely be gone within six months. (And this is fairly typical of soap opera conventions) She of course says that she wouldn't want Bobby to think of her in that way and wants him to remember her as being happy, etc. (Or again, however the usual soap opera convention of this goes.) Result - Bobby never knows that she was terminal and never hears about her death. Granted, you would be absolutely right to say "Why not?" And you'd be right to ask why Christopher was okay not knowing either. But the series and the characters had moved on. Now, in the new series, she certainly gets mentioned here and there. Her initials are on the "Love Tree". Cliff will of course mention his sister, particularly in the final episode of the season. But I wouldn't say that she was a continual presence. If any original character was mentioned right and left in the new series, it would be Miss Ellie, who left Southfork to Bobby, and whose direct instruction was that the land never be drilled on. The portrait of Miss Ellie and Jock is always central in the mansion, as it should be. I consider those characters to be the major touchstones of this series. To answer the other question, I am not directly involved with the production of the new series. If I were, I would not be able to review the season set. (It's one of my conditions of writing the reviews - I cannot write a review of a production on which I'm employed.) But without disclosing names, I do talk to people who do work in production on the new series, and they're far enough up the creative food chain for me to understand that what they're telling me isn't just a rumor on the set. When I first heard that the series was going, I asked if the character of Pam would be involved, and I was told in no uncertain terms NO. The new series had the three primary cast members they wanted in their cast, and they were bringing in only a few additional characters here and there for guest spots, including Charlene Tilton, Steve Kanaly and Ken Kercheval. The new season will see a few more characters pop in, particularly for the funeral episode, but it's not a reunion show. They're trying to tell a new set of stories, mostly focusing on the young characters. Given that they have Brenda Strong as Bobby's third wife, they've developed that character out as well. I would be delighted to see Victoria Principal appear on the new series, but my understanding is that this is not going to happen. I'd be delighted to be surprised by such an appearance. But Cynthia Cidre has made very clear, and publicly so, that she has no intention of including Pam in this season, given the arc she has already written.

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Larry tried to get Victoria to return to the show at the end of season 11. The end of season episode has Cliff telling Bobby Pam has been seen at some party. The start of the next season has Cliff and April going in search of Pam. Cliff finds her and she states she will not come back and is going to marry her doctor.The Doctor brings up the fact after Cliff leaves to Pam that she is going to die. Larry wanted her back for the very last show and Victoria then stated she would only if Pam would be gone for good. I read an interview where Victoria or heard I should say that Pam is dead from car crash. She had not kept up with the plot. The episodes when aired had titles the Mummy the Mummy Walks they renamed them after the episodes went on DVD. I want her back too. Never say never is true. I still say I will not be on board for another season. The last seasons were awful of Dallas the original. I bought the DVDs but never look at those last seasons from 11 on.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
I'll try not to belabor this, as it could give the wrong impression about such things. I am as much a fan of the character of Pamela as of any of the original characters of Dallas from the first series.  I found her character to be one of the most level-headed out of the bunch when things got started.  And the writers loved to put her and Bobby into tragic situations, caused either by one of them keeping secrets from the other, or by fate, or usually by the machinations of JR.  But after they'd done this for ten years, it's pretty clear that Victoria Principal wanted to move on and so chose to leave the series.  Her character was written off in a fairly abrupt manner, but the series then returned to settle any questions with the single appearance in Paris.  In that scene, a lookalike actress played a scene with Bobby, telling him that she had a new life, etc, and having him leave thinking she was happy where she was.  After Bobby left, she then had an exchange with another man in the room who turns out to be her doctor, who asks her why she didn't say she had a terminal illness and would likely be gone within six months.  (And this is fairly typical of soap opera conventions)  She of course says that she wouldn't want Bobby to think of her in that way and wants him to remember her as being happy, etc.  (Or again, however the usual soap opera convention of this goes.)   Result - Bobby never knows that she was terminal and never hears about her death.   Granted, you would be absolutely right to say "Why not?"  And you'd be right to ask why Christopher was okay not knowing either.  But the series and the characters had moved on. Now, in the new series, she certainly gets mentioned here and there.  Her initials are on the "Love Tree".  Cliff will of course mention his sister, particularly in the final episode of the season.  But I wouldn't say that she was a continual presence.  If any original character was mentioned right and left in the new series, it would be Miss Ellie, who left Southfork to Bobby, and whose direct instruction was that the land never be drilled on.  The portrait of Miss Ellie and Jock is always central in the mansion, as it should be.  I consider those characters to be the major touchstones of this series. To answer the other question, I am not directly involved with the production of the new series.  If I were, I would not be able to review the season set.  (It's one of my conditions of writing the reviews - I cannot write a review of a production on which I'm employed.)   But without disclosing names, I do talk to people who do work in production on the new series, and they're far enough up the creative food chain for me to understand that what they're telling me isn't just a rumor on the set.   When I first heard that the series was going, I asked if the character of Pam would be involved, and I was told in no uncertain terms NO.  The new series had the three primary cast members they wanted in their cast, and they were bringing in only a few additional characters here and there for guest spots, including Charlene Tilton, Steve Kanaly and Ken Kercheval.  The new season will see a few more characters pop in, particularly for the funeral episode, but it's not a reunion show.  They're trying to tell a new set of stories, mostly focusing on the young characters.  Given that they have Brenda Strong as Bobby's third wife, they've developed that character out as well.  I would be delighted to see Victoria Principal appear on the new series, but my understanding is that this is not going to happen.  I'd be delighted to be surprised by such an appearance.  But Cynthia Cidre has made very clear, and publicly so, that she has no intention of including Pam in this season, given the arc she has already written. 
Yeah, I know Pam appearing is most likely never going to happen...and definitely not for this upcoming 2nd season. :( I just wish she'd make an appearance once or twice to give her character closure. If that would ever happen (and I doubt it will) then I wouldn't think she would become a "regular" again. I like Bobby's new wife Ann, and look forward to seeing how their relationship plays out. I also like how they've "included" Miss Ellie and Jock in the new series too. :) I've seen every episode/TV Movie of the original series, and of course remember the episode where the Pam "look-alike" was asked by the doctor why she hadn't told Bobby she might be dead within six months...the cue word being "might". ;) They never definitely stated she had died, and sort of purposely left it open-ended...like she might be, but might not and is still out there somewhere. The new series mentioned her several times in the first few episodes...also stating that she just disappeared one day and never was seen again. This of course is the true "Dallas" style and lets you know that anything is possible...even bringing people back from the dead, as they did with Bobby originally. :laugh: I love the character of Pam and enjoyed her immensely on the original show...and I hated how they had her leave it. :f But, in actuality my favorite character from "Dallas" is...Sue Ellen! :D She has survived un-Godly things from J.R. and her life with the Ewings...and despite unbelievable ups-and-downs became very level-headed, intelligent, and has tried to be the best at whatever she put her mind to. She's become the "survivor" that everyone would hope to be if they had gone through what she has. I know Pam will probably never grace the new show's screen...but it would make a superb shocking, cliff-hanger finale sometime! ;) Plus, it could finally give her some closure...that she didn't die, but survived her so-called "illness" and is living a new life somewhere else--but has had some contact with Christopher over the years. There's enough fanbase out there for Pam, that I don't think an appearance or two would "bog" down any of the new characters or storylines...if they could get Victoria to agree and the production to go along with it. But, I know that's just wishful thinking. :cool:

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm of the mind that the series needs to rely more on the younger cast than constantly going to the originals. As the loss of Mr. Hagman has shown us, a few of them are not long for this world or in the best of health. This is sort of Dallas The Next Generation and if the John Ross and Christopher characters are to grow, then the original cast needs to be less in the forefront. Much as I hate losing JR, his character was too much of a magnet. When Hagman had to take some time off for chemo mid season, the younger cast was allowed to develop and it did them a great favor. I don't think we need Pam in the series any more than we need Lucy (not to mention that Charlene Tilton is so over the top just doing a walk-on she's an ill fit). I love the old cast, but sooner or later JR had to step aside anyway (and I still can't believe they didn't see it coming). Cliff is now this arch super villain when before he was just a punching bag who wasn't particularly smart. Now he's Lex Luthor. We didn't need that, but I like Kerchival and he needs the work (I understand his health isn't all that good either), so okay. But let the kids carry on and keep the older guys around for the original fans. But let's not see any more come back unless it's really necessary. At least, that's my take on it. Having said that, I'd love to see Ray come back as a regular, out of all of them.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
ScottRE said:
I'm of the mind that the series needs to rely more on the younger cast than constantly going to the originals. As the loss of Mr. Hagman has shown us, a few of them are not long for this world or in the best of health. This is sort of Dallas The Next Generation and if the John Ross and Christopher characters are to grow, then the original cast needs to be less in the forefront. Much as I hate losing JR, his character was too much of a magnet. When Hagman had to take some time off for chemo mid season, the younger cast was allowed to develop and it did them a great favor. I don't think we need Pam in the series any more than we need Lucy (not to mention that Charlene Tilton is so over the top just doing a walk-on she's an ill fit). I love the old cast, but sooner or later JR had to step aside anyway (and I still can't believe they didn't see it coming). Cliff is now this arch super villain when before he was just a punching bag who wasn't particularly smart. Now he's Lex Luthor. We didn't need that, but I like Kerchival and he needs the work (I understand his health isn't all that good either), so okay. But let the kids carry on and keep the older guys around for the original fans. But let's not see any more come back unless it's really necessary. At least, that's my take on it. Having said that, I'd love to see Ray come back as a regular, out of all of them.
I think the series pretty much has relied more on the younger cast...it's supposed to be a new generation. But, we still need the originals too! Like it or not, they are the backbone of the whole series period!! ;) We still need to focus on them too, and a lot of the "younger" cast's problems are the same problems that the original show faced...just in modern day. Therefore, we need the original cast to help them through it. We need both "sets" to make this show work. I realize, and most have for several years, that Larry Hagman's health was not good. I was glad he was able to return to the role of J.R. and be in the episodes he could. I think that they will now focus on making John Ross into the new "J.R."--which is only right. ;) As for other characters (besides Bobby and Sue Ellen) returning...even though I agree Charlene Tilton was a little over the top as Lucy in the first episode at Christopher's wedding :laugh: --she did get more serious in a couple later episodes when she didn't do what John Ross wanted and sided with Bobby. By no means am I expecting Lucy to become a "regular" again...but a couple appearances once in a while would be okay. She can be goofy...but she can be devious too, and that's usually interesting to watch. Her parents (Gary and Val) are supposed to return this 2nd season...so I'm sure we'll see more of Lucy. :) I really like Ken Kerchival as this new intelligent, but almost "evil" Cliff. It's a new side I've not seen before...but I think his character has "hardened" over the years and he's become this angry old man (who appears patient) who's full of hate and revenge. It'll be interesting to see what "punches" he pulls in season 2. Ray returning was nice too...but I haven't heard as much about him coming back as the others. But, I hope he does...I liked Ray in the original show and he and Bobby were always the ones trying to be as honest or do what was right, over most of the others. An appearance by Pam would be nice...to give her character closure or let fans know what's become of her. I don't think it'll ever happen...but if it did it would probably be a one time thing. Overall I LOVE this new show, and ALL the characters!! I think they've done a superb job of incorporating both the original characters and the younger generation as young adults...and I hope they continue to delve into the younger character's problems...as well as the original casts', and bringing back more originals we haven't seen in years! :D I look forward to seeing everyone, and how it all plays out. January 28th, baby!!! :tu:

Mark Collins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Here is news from TV Guide on how JR will be written out of the show. The character of JR Ewing looks set to exit Dallas in a murder mystery “Who Killed J.R.?” According to TV Guide Magazine, “Dallas” executive producer Cynthia Cidre and the show’s writing staff decided to launch a “Who Killed J.R.?” mystery following the death of Larry Hagman. The charcter of JR Ewing will appear in the first five episodes of Season 2. “We all felt having J.R. die of natural causes would have been completely inappropriate, not only to the character, but also to Larry Hagman,” Cidre said. The executive producer received Patrick Duffy’s blessing to do the story and also ran the story by Hagman’s son, Preston. It has not been revealed how the character will be shot in a throw back to the 1980 who done sensation or killed in some other form. However it happens there is a long list of potential killers including his long time enemy Cliff Barnes, Pamela Rebecca or perhaps even Bobby’s ex wife Pamela.

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Mark Collins said:
Here is news from TV Guide on how JR will be written out of the show. The character of JR Ewing looks set to exit Dallas in a murder mystery “Who Killed J.R.?” According to TV Guide Magazine, “Dallas” executive producer Cynthia Cidre and the show’s writing staff decided to launch a “Who Killed J.R.?” mystery following the death of Larry Hagman. The charcter of JR Ewing will appear in the first five episodes of Season 2. “We all felt having J.R. die of natural causes would have been completely inappropriate, not only to the character, but also to Larry Hagman,” Cidre said. The executive producer received Patrick Duffy’s blessing to do the story and also ran the story by Hagman’s son, Preston. It has not been revealed how the character will be shot in a throw back to the 1980 who done sensation or killed in some other form. However it happens there is a long list of potential killers including his long time enemy Cliff Barnes, Pamela Rebecca or perhaps even Bobby’s ex wife Pamela.
Now I wonder if Tom M. will retract his correction of me for saying that very thing? I read this already on Dallas Fanzine and was repeating what I heard there. Thanks for the update, Mark!

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
Ron1973 said:
Now I wonder if Tom M. will retract his correction of me for saying that very thing? I read this already on Dallas Fanzine and was repeating what I heard there. Thanks for the update, Mark!
And I was repeating EXACTLY what Cynthia Cidre said in an on camera interview. That she changed her mind is not my fault. Given that Patrick Duffy and Larry Hagman's son gave their blessing to this development does give me hope it will be a quality storyline. That said, looking forward to Monday!

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Well...it seems we might find out what happened to Pamela Barnes Ewing after all...and I'm not talking about Cliff's daughter Pamela Rebecca on the new show--but Victoria Principal's original character! Here is a copy of an article I just read tonight during the 2nd season's premiere: [It’s been a long time coming but the big reveal of what really happened to Pamela Ewing is about to rock the foundations of Southfork. Jesse Metcalfe recently revealed to Starry Constellation magazine that in season two we will discover what really happened to Pamela Ewing. It is rumored that a twist takes place at JR’s memorial when it’s revealed what really happened to Pamela. It appears JR knew all along. With the news that JR is murdered in a who done it mystery can we expect Victoria Principal back on set soon carrying a smoking gun?] Who knows what happened to her?? It could be that they will have her dead, and has been since she left the original show (the whole "possible" stupid termnal illness scenario--"hinted" at in one of the last episodes she was in). Or, maybe she has been hiding in another life...or maybe she'll make a surprise appearance and be J.R.'s killer!! :eek: :laugh: Whatever the case (and I really hope they don't "kill" her off) it will be nice to finally have closure to her character, and/or to find out what really happened to her. :) I also listened to an interview Cynthia Cidre did a couple months ago and they asked her flat out what she had planned, if anything, for Pam. Cynthia basically stated that trying to include Pam has always been considered or discussed as an idea...they just had not found the "right" way to do it, and didn't know at that time if they ever would. Now maybe they will do something with it. ;)

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I'm more intrigued by what I saw in the first two episodes premiered this evening. SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE SECOND SEASON: First off, the lighting is a bit better, so it's not as harsh, particularly on the older cast members. Linda Gray in particular benefits from the greater attention going into this area. Secondly, the storylines they are running are happily continuing where they left off in the first season. There is some very interesting material coming to light about Ann (Brenda Strong) and her past. The fact that they've added Mitch Pileggi on as a regular as well as Emma Bell means that they intend to spend some time dealing with exactly who Ann was when she had her daughter and why the daughter was taken away. If you ask me, I believe they are setting up Ann as a parallel to Sue Ellen - as a woman with substance abuse problems and an abusive husband. The scene we saw with Judith Light (who will recur many more times) stopped just short of saying that these people rescued the daughter from Ann because she was either an alcoholic or a junkie. We will definitely see more of this matter in the coming shows. It's nice to see that they were able to spotlight J.R. in a good way before Hagman passed. His scenes with the state attorney and with young Pamela were classic moments. In both of those cases, he made clear where he stood with a minimum of fuss. For the record, the original Pam was mentioned at two key moments - once when Pamela revealed herself to Bobby and Christopher and established herself as Afton's daughter. (And I understand that Audrey Landers will also appear this year, as would be appropriate.) The more interesting moment came when J.R. stopped short of threatening her - specifically noting that she was the second Pamela to "fox her way into the henhouse", that he'd already taken care of one and was planning to be two for two in the score. I don't believe this means he had anything to do with her demise - that would be too far for J.R. particularly where it involved his brother's wife. But it does mean he's proud he flushed her out and that from his point of view, he drove her away. There's another interesting side note when J.R. and John Ross are talking in the office, and J.R. asks to confirm that he's still getting his share of the company when the shenanigans are done. John Ross' answer indicates that had Hagman not passed, a storyline would have concerned the fact that John Ross has no intention of sharing anything with his father. Josh Henderson is starting to fill into his role, particularly as he gets better at manipulating everyone around him. The one major aspect he's missing is the grin after doing bad. Give him time, and I bet he picks that up too. Still not thinking we will ever see the original Pam on this series, but I agree that the fate of her character will likely be discussed. This is the kind of thing that would be known by Cliff and his daughter, even if Bobby is unaware of the final part of it. I expect that the likely result will be to discuss that she had passed away twenty years ago, but we'll have to see what happens when it's finally brought up.

HunterMan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Drew
Kevin EK said:
I'm more intrigued by what I saw in the first two episodes premiered this evening. SPOILERS BELOW FOR THE SECOND SEASON: First off, the lighting is a bit better, so it's not as harsh, particularly on the older cast members.  Linda Gray in particular benefits from the greater attention going into this area. Secondly, the storylines they are running are happily continuing where they left off in the first season.  There is some very interesting material coming to light about Ann (Brenda Strong) and her past.  The fact that they've added Mitch Pileggi on as a regular as well as Emma Bell means that they intend to spend some time dealing with exactly who Ann was when she had her daughter and why the daughter was taken away.  If you ask me, I believe they are setting up Ann as a parallel to Sue Ellen - as a woman with substance abuse problems and an abusive husband.  The scene we saw with Judith Light (who will recur many more times) stopped just short of saying that these people rescued the daughter from Ann because she was either an alcoholic or a junkie.  We will definitely see more of this matter in the coming shows. It's nice to see that they were able to spotlight J.R. in a good way before Hagman passed.  His scenes with the state attorney and with young Pamela were classic moments.  In both of those cases, he made clear where he stood with a minimum of fuss.  For the record, the original Pam was mentioned at two key moments - once when Pamela revealed herself to Bobby and Christopher and established herself as Afton's daughter.  (And I understand that Audrey Landers will also appear this year, as would be appropriate.)  The more interesting moment came when J.R. stopped short of threatening her - specifically noting that she was the second Pamela to "fox her way into the henhouse", that he'd already taken care of one and was planning to be two for two in the score.  I don't believe this means he had anything to do with her demise - that would be too far for J.R. particularly where it involved his brother's wife.  But it does mean he's proud he flushed her out and that from his point of view, he drove her away. There's another interesting side note when J.R. and John Ross are talking in the office, and J.R. asks to confirm that he's still getting his share of the company when the shenanigans are done.  John Ross' answer indicates that had Hagman not passed, a storyline would have concerned the fact that John Ross has no intention of sharing anything with his father.    Josh Henderson is starting to fill into his role, particularly as he gets better at manipulating everyone around him.  The one major aspect he's missing is the grin after doing bad.  Give him time, and I bet he picks that up too. Still not thinking we will ever see the original Pam on this series, but I agree that the fate of her character will likely be discussed.  This is the kind of thing that would be known by Cliff and his daughter, even if Bobby is unaware of the final part of it.  I expect that the likely result will be to discuss that she had passed away twenty years ago, but we'll have to see what happens when it's finally brought up.
"Dallas" was and still is almost always intriguing in each episode...that's why it's always been and still is so popular--you're never bored. ;) Obvioiusly they would continue with the same storylines from the first season...otherwise it wouldn't make sense. It will be very interesting to see what they do with Ann's past concerning this new mysterious "lost" daughter that's turned up. As for Judith Light...anyone who's read up and/or kept up with what was going to happen in 2nd season knew she was coming. She's a very good actress...however, I'm having a little trouble accepting that she's Harris Ryland's mother?? :eek: She looks the same age as Harris...and in reality there's only a couple years difference in ages of the actors themselves. Don't know if she's supposed to be the "evil step-mother"...or his bio-mom? But, despite the fact that Judith can play a superb villianess...the age thing with the mother-n-son scenario is a little odd. :laugh: I think the lighting is perfectly fine with both seasons so far...and don't really notice any difference between first season and last night's premiere episodes. I've never found that the "original's" looked bad in any of the episodes...and with that being said I think for 72 years old Linda Gray (Sue Ellen) looks superb! I actually think that Linda Gray looks better now than she did the last few seasons of the original "Dallas"! I too liked how they have spotlighted J.R. so far in season 2. Cynthia Cidre stated in an interview that they knew Hagman was not well at all and they didn't know how long they'd "have" him...so they took it as easy with him as possible--but also wanted to optimize his character while they did still have him--to let him shine as much as possible. I look forward to the rest of his episodes and hope we get as much J.R. as we can before we say farewell! :tu: Obviously John Ross will begin to fill his father's shoes...even more so after J.R.'s death. That only makes sense and is the "right" thing to do. The J.R. smile would be nice...but in a way I hope John Ross developes his own...the same idea but not trying to copy J.R. exactly. For the record...I didn't say that last night's episode would reveal anything about the original Pam. The article I read and posted before above, stated that sometime this 2nd season it would be revealed what happened to Pam, and that J.R. has known it all along. I never said that I think J.R. killed her or had anything to do with her demise (if she's dead...and in my opinion that would be somewhat ridiculous if supposedly J.R. had killed her)....but if they do have her supposedly dead from years ago, maybe they'll have it that J.R. knew it but kept it from Bobby. The article had a humorous end-note stating that maybe we'll see Pam suddenly make an appearance and she's holding the smoking gun...in other words she showed up to kill J.R. I don't think that will happen (and I think the article was kidding to be funny)...however, that would be a superb shocker that no one would really see coming if they actually did do that. ;) The original Pam was mentioned at appropriate places in last night's episodes, considering who Pamela Rebecca really is. I have no idea how they wll explain what really happened to Pam...but most likely they will have her supposedly dead. That will "suck" and most true or die-hard "Dallas" fans will not like that (including myself)...but at least there will be closure and she won't be "out there" somewhere open-ended. MORE SPOILERS: I had read that Afton may or may not make an appearance in season 2...after last night's episodes I would gather that she probably will. Maybe at J.R.'s funeral?? However, other "originals" that will make surprise appearances (besides Gary and Val) are Cally Harper (J.R.'s 2nd wife) and Mandy Winger...his mistress for many seasons in the original show. They are supposed to show at the funeral and cause Sue Ellen grief...I can't wait!! :laugh: For whatever reason Sly will not be making an appearance...although originally they did have her coming on this new show, but that was changed?? :confused: That's one thing I'm not liking...even over Mandy Winger, Sly should be there...but oh well. You can't have everyone I guess. :P I'm loving what I see in store for season 2 and can't wait for each episode to unfold!! As J.R. said...it's gonna be a masterpiece! :D

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
I can't wait to see Cally! I'm an oddball, but I like the later episodes better than the first few years when it was finding its footing. I wouldn't mind Sasha Mitchell being brought back for an episode or two as James Beaumont to contest the will. Maybe they could have Barbara Eden kill him? :D

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I don't think we're going to have long to mull over the future storylines of Dallas. The premiere's ratings were abysmal, the lowest the show has seen so far. There wasn't even a curiosity spike of people who want to see how the JR stuff goes. Maybe his "death episode" will see a jump, but once Hagman is gone from the series, expect the numbers to plummet further. This will likely be the final season and I can only hope the producers end the series by tying up plotlines rather than giving us a cliffhanger like Alphas, or V, or the other dozens of shows that felt a cliffhanger might sway the network from cutting their losses and continuing to air a failing program. http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/01/30/ratings-drop-for-season-premiere-of-dallas/

Kevin EK

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I agree that the show's ratings were low. We'll have to see how things go over the course of the season that TNT has already paid for. It's possible that they'll call it a day after this, but it's also possible that they'll hang on to it for one more season. Either way, this isn't the same situation as when Dallas was a powerhouse on CBS in the 80s and would regularly run 25 or more episodes in a season. This is a much lower budget affair which may be able to stay on for longer than we might think. Ratings for cable shows are a different scenario than for networks. Alphas was of course SciFi, but V was on ABC, which actually renewed it despite poor ratings for the first season. I'm always reluctant to predict what networks will do, given all the factors involved. In some cases, it's pretty obvious - but in those matters, you can usually see a lot of telltale signs (the show isn't filming anymore, the cast is all signing on to new series, etc). Let's wait and see what really happens here.

ScottRE

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
I'm not shoveling dirt over it yet, but seeing so many of my favorite shows bite the dust, I am prepared. My only hope is, as stated, they wrap stuff up if worse comes to worst.

Ron1973

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
One that didn't help is waiting so long to show Season 2. I'm enjoying the show and was faithful to watch it, but I don't think I would have missed anything had I have chosen not to watch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks