What's new

"Dallas" on SoapNet (1 Viewer)

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
SoapNet are showing the most famous of all "Dallas" episodes tonight, the finale of season 3, which is the episode that ended with the cliffhanger of "Who shot JR?".

Not sure if anyone else here is following this show, but I really enjoy it, both for the nostalgia factor and for the fact that it is a really well-written show. The writers really pay attention to details.

Of course, the second most famous show of the series has the worst cop-out in TV history, when Bobby steps out of the shower after Pams "dream". :D

They're blowing through the seasons pretty quickly, and I must admit that the daily showings sort of tamper with the pacing, I wish they'd show it weekly as it was shown originally. Of course, that'd have them showing it for many years, but that'd be fine with me. :)

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I dont get the Soap channel but I sure used to watch all those soaps in the 80s. I had no life. Dallas, Knot's Landing, Falcon Crest and Dynasty.

Those were the days!!!!

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
My other favorite of those you mentioned was "Falcon Crest". It was a little more fast paced than "Dallas", and Angela Channing was almost as bad as JR. :)

I'm glad "The OC" is filling some of the soap vacuum in prime time, but it's still a little too teen-oriented for me to fill the shoes of "Dallas" and "falcon Crest".

Here's what I wrote to bitch about now though :) :
during a commercial break in "Dallas", they ran a promo for the show, and showed a family tree, where they said "Ray Krebbs, son of Jock Ewing"... but that hasn't been revealed yet in SoapNets airing of the show! I'm watching this show with my wife, and she hasn't seen much of "Dallas" before, and she just yelled "WHAT?? Ray is Jock's son??"

Damn, that pissed me off that they ran that... I was looking forward to her reaction when they revealed that...

Sure, they probably assume people have seen the show, but it was an unnecessary spoiler for those who haven't, or don't remember most of it.

/Mike

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I've been following the series, and I hated the fact that SoapNet has been pushing "Who Shot JR" while showing episodes leading up to the actual shooting! Some of us are watching it for the first time.

Friday's episode had that big, ugly "Who Shot JR" ping-pong paddle through the episode. The other season 3 episodes were pushing the climax of the season. That is no way to show a serialized series!

The big ugly graphics that the network has been putting on the show is no picnic either.

On the plus side, the episodes seem to be uncut except for the opening promos before the credits. Frankly I'd rather lose them than any actual material from the episode itself. But another (relatively minor) downside is that WB plastered the Lorimar logo with their own. (I checked Knots Landing one day to find the Lorimar logo intact).

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
It sure brings back memories. Dallas was the only show I ever really paid much attention to as far as night soaps are concerned. My wife knows them better which is why we have soapnet in the first place.

While I'm not familiar with ABC night soaps I still love the look of them. All of them (Colbys, Hotel and Dynasty) all had as look to them I can't describe but I find very appealing. Also the announcer that ABC has used for years adds a certain feel as well.

Some of the best TV show theme music came from night soaps too such as Hotel (Mancini), Falcon Crest and Dynasty. Dallas' theme always had that larger than life sound to match the feel of the show.

Daytime soaps are pretty much shit (although my wife would kill me for saying that) but night soaps are usually pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks