What's new

Dallas: Complete First Season :) (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
the boxset has finally arrived.

JR is fantastic to watch with all the scheming.

Cannot wait to watch all the episodes

Jaime_Weinman

Supporting Actor
The commentaries by Patrick Duffy and Linda Gray are quite entertaining, mostly for Duffy's funny comments. He has some great snarky (but not nasty) observations to make on everything from the "ugly doors" on the show to Victoria Principal's infomercials to his own status as "The Talking Hair from Dallas."

Haden

Supporting Actor
Already halfway thru disc 2 right now and enjoying every episode. Given how they are promoting the "Who Shot J.R." finale of this season on the front cover of the DVD's packaging as well as including a retrospective featurette about it, I wish they'd rush season 4 on DVD to give us the full resolution. I really hate the idea of not getting the next season until Summer 2006. A December/January release date would be much more reasonable considering the severe lack of extras on these season sets.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Perhaps restoration/remastering is keeping them from doing them faster. I have the S3 episodes and the shortest episode is 48:15 and the longest is 48:55, so I would guess nothing is missing. They look to be an improvement in PQ over S1/S2.

John Sullmeyer

Second Unit
I bought the set today and once I popped it in, noticed that the theme song was slightly changed for Season 3. I don't recall if they brought the original back for the later Seasons. Anyone else remember this?

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I didn't start watching until season 3 and I don't recall the theme song changing after that. Then again, it was 25 years ago. :eek:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
I'm a bit surprised by the lack of talk about Dallas: Season 3, which was released on August 9th by WB.

It contains THE biggest television-series cliffhanger in history in ep. #25 of this excellent-looking 5-Disc DVD set from the always-class-act people at Warner Home Video (IMHO that is re. that comment; I like WB's products a lot, including their classy 2-Disc movie SEs that they have produced in the past, but unfortunately discontinued; which reminds me -- is the new "King Kong " (1933) two-disc edition going to come in the previous WB-style "SE" Digipak design? Via the DVD-Times site, it appears it might come in a Digipak, instead of a 2-Disc Amaray case; I was just curious, because having it in the former type of classy WB 2-Discer packaging would be a plus IMO).

This "Dallas S.3" set comes in a slimmer package than the first (Seasons 1 & 2) set. Same number of discs in each of those sets (5), but the S.3 package contains fewer flaps and panels within the nicely-done Digipak case. This due to the fact, like "ER Season 3" (and probably other WB sets that I haven't purchased), four of the five discs are arranged in "overlapping" disc trays. A lot of collectors hate this overlapping design with a passion; but I think it looks pretty good actually (esp. ER-3, which has colorful disc art on each of its 6 platters, unlike Dallas-3, which are dual-sided with no art).

The hubs/trays are fairly nice -- not too "tight", from my experience anyway. So you can get the discs free without too much risk of physical pain and/or angst.

When all Dallas #3 discs are removed, a nice picture of the Dallas skyline is revealed on the case underneath (similar to Dallas 1 & 2, although that one is even cooler-looking, with the letters "D A L L A S" spelled out in huge font across the super-wide Digipak). :)

And, unlike Dallas 1 & 2, the third-season package includes a multi-page (fold-out style) booklet with episode information for the 25 (1979-1980) programs included in the set. This booklet includes some nice photos too, including a really outstanding publicity still pic of Sue Ellen and sister Kristin in front of the Southfork main house. The cover of the booklet has a picture of a crumpling J.R. Ewing, very much like this one.....

I haven't gotten into the episodes themselves yet for Dallas 3. I'll be getting into them soon I'm sure. Some fans over at www.ultimatedallas.com have been going through all 25 shows in just 2 or 3 days! Holy J.R.-fest! I won't go through them quite that quickly. Some folks there have said the DVD video quality is even better than Seasons 1 and 2 (and I think that set has pretty good A/V quality too).

There's a new documentary about the shooting of J.R. on Disc 5 of the S.3 set, too -- plus two Audio Commentaries by stars Linda Gray and Patrick Duffy (one for "A House Divided", which was the big cliffhanging, "J.R. Gets His!" episode).

-------------

Dallas DVD Prediction.........

We'll see Dallas: Season 4 on DVD in December 2005 (in time for Christmas). That way, the delay between the big "Who Shot J.R.?" ep. and the resolution program, "Who Done It?" (which was the fourth ep. of Season Four) is very minimal; it'd be just a 4-month wait to find out "Who done it" -- in case a few people don't know the resolution already.

I hadn't realized until I got S.3, that it had been almost an entire year since the first Dallas set was released (it came out August 24, 2004). Heck, I still have a few shows from Season 2 to watch yet. :)

Haden

Supporting Actor
I hope you're right about your prediction of season 4 coming in December, but rumors from the last few months seemed to indicate that WB wants to sit on this series and release it at one season per year for some idiotic reason. :frowning:

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Speaking further of Warner Brothers' TV DVDs........

Anybody know why Region 2 is getting new "ER" and "West Wing" season sets well before Region 1? Always thought this was odd. Is it just a "WB" thing?

I noticed at Amazon's U.K. site, that ER-4 and ER-5 are on the horizon in R.2 sets. ... Plus West Wing 5 and 6, too. (Note how almost the entire main cast of WW has been totally neglected and left off of the S.6 box cover, unlike all previous season sets; kinda strange IMO.) .......

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
That would be idiotic, which is why I think it's just a rumor. Dallas was on for 11 years. It's going to take two more years just to bring them out every four months. Warner ain't stupid enough to take eight years. (If this were a Fox or Universal TV release, I'd be worried, but not Warner).

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
So it did. Don't know where I got 11 years from.

Therefore, one a year would be even more idiotic.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I'd bet it has something to do with US syndication rights. They may have to wait until a given season has had a full run in syndication before releasing it on DVD.

Chris.SC

Auditioning
Actually, Dallas ran for 13 1/2 years. It premiered on April 2, 1978 and ended on May 3, 1991 with a total run of 356 episodes (360 epsidoes if you count the 2 reunion movies, each getting a two episode count for 1 hour of syndication). That makes 13 years and the five episode pilot from the spring of 1978, or 13 1/2 years. To answer the question regarding Dallas' music. It changed every season. The DVDs contain the original episodes uncut, with the exception of the "Next on Dallas..." clip at the end, and the original Lorimar logo. Fans need not worry about syndication prints of Dallas because these are easy to spot. The syndication version of Dallas begins with "Lorimar presents" and a narrator recaps the last episode set against Dallas music. If it starts like this then it is a syndicated print.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks