What's new

Dallas 2012 (1 Viewer)

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
I am a huge fan of Dallas and have all 14 seasons on dvd. The thing i like most about Dallas was the character and rivalries, especially JR scheming!! It is too early to tell whether the reincarnation will succeed or fail. However, the plot lines with Christopher and John Ross are starting to evolved and that is a good thing.
I am disappointed that Vicki Principal did not join the cast as she was one of the reason that i liked the original show in the first place. Brenda Strong does an amazing job as Bobby Ewing's wife. The addition of Steve Kanally and Charlene Tilton (She did not age well) was also very good and the timing of their cameos was very good!
I like also how Bobby Ewing plans to keep his promise to Miss Ellie and that plays tribute to her role in the series. They could have done a flashback the the original show as way to connect the dots.
JR in home and having him out of it when in fact he was not. JR character throughout Dallas was difficult to keep down and i like how he comes back to life, especially about his plan to re-gain Ewing Oil.
Linda Gray looks great for someone that is 72 years of age. I guess the plastic surgery/tummy tights have done wonders for Linda Gray.
Jordanna Brewster role was also very good as it shows how she grew up with both John Ross and Christopher Ewing on South Fork. It is perfect fit to tie the show.
Julie Gonazalo's character or Christopher Ewing's wife is a good choice, especially there appears to be a plot developing on her character. It keeps you captivated to what is going to evolve.
I am surprised that we did not see Gary Ewing's character as part the pilot or other characters that were part of its run, like Susan Howard or the secretaries, etc.
I am not a big fan of re-makes, but this shows so far seems to have gotten it right with the right mix from old to new. I did not watch Hawaii Five-O as i am not fan of the person(s) playing both McGarrett and Kono. I watched one episode and turned it off and never watched another one. Dallas does not seem to have that problem with me as it relates to re-makes.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Regarding the character Gary Ewing, I'm not sure if they could have the character appear on the revival series. If it exists in the same universe as the original Dallas series, then it may not be possible because Knots Landing cut ties with Dallas after the dream season (the 1985-86 season). Knots carried on as if the dream season on Dallas DID happen, whereas of course Dallas carried on from just before the end of the 1984-85 season.

No date yet, but the Dallas revival series will start in the UK on Five in September (read about this earlier this week on Ceefax, where it was also posted a day or two ago that the pilot episode on TNT got 6.8 million viewers).

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i have a feeling that duffy and hagman were cast to keep the older generation of fans happy.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
kingfish said:
i have a feeling that duffy and hagman were cast to keep the older generation of fans happy.
You are probably right that Dallas needed to pass the torch and by having JR, Bobby and Sue-Ellen accomplished that process. I think Dallas so far has not alienated its past fans with the current reincarnation. Other reincarnation, including the movies failed to connect the past along with new fans with their plots. I never watched Hawaii Five-O as i could not relate the past with present version of the show.

I LOVE the new show! Patrick Duffy said on Jay Leno that they consider this Season 14 of the show, and not a new version. He said it is as if people forgot which channel it was on, and then flipped back to it.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by rmw650 /t/321616/dallas-2012#post_3939751
Like I said before, if they do the show up right, they could have a few more seasons to expand upon the original and make this show last for quite some time. If ratings from last week are any indication, I say it has good momentum going forward.

Was this in the Dallas/Peyton Place discussion thread in this forum folder?

There shouldn't be as much pressure for getting high ratings, with the revival series being on cable instead of network television.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
i believe ken kercheval was on the show last night as cliff barnes. i thought he had passed away.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
kingfish said:
i believe ken kercheval was on the show last night as cliff barnes. i thought he had passed away.
Ken Kerchival won his bout with lung cancer. They could also bring in punk anderson's character, but he would be like late 80s and/or early 90s. The core of the show is JR/Bobby/Sue-ellen/Cliff/Victoria Principal and passing the torch to the kids is a great start.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
looks like morgan woodward is still alive. one of the best character actors to date.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
kingfish said:
looks like morgan woodward is still alive. one of the best character actors to date.
Jeremey Wendell's character is also still alive along with Morgan Brittany, Audrey Landers and/or Priscilla Presley. I like what i have seen so far and usually watch it via bravo on the weekend.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Maybe?????????? She will return?
http://www.buzzbox.com/news/2012-03-29/dallas:victoria-principal/?clusterId=9740664

Tom M

Stunt Coordinator
AlanP said:
Maybe?????????? She will return?
http://www.buzzbox.com/news/2012-03-29/dallas:victoria-principal/?clusterId=9740664
Old news. That "open invitation" was reported a few months ago. Victoria Principal has stated recently she has no intention of appearing on the show. Of course, people have been known to change their minds but I wouldn't count on it.
Ted Shackleford was offered a role in the pilot but he turned it down as it was just an appearance at the wedding with a few lines. He wanted something more substantial. So, he is open to appearing on the show at least.
So far, so good! This week's episode was MUCH better written and paced than last weeks. Hope it continues to get better. JR and Cliff's all too brief meeting was classic Dallas!

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
Tom M said:
Old news. That "open invitation" was reported a few months ago. Victoria Principal has stated recently she has no intention of appearing on the show. Of course, people have been known to change their minds but I wouldn't count on it.
Ted Shackleford was offered a role in the pilot but he turned it down as it was just an appearance at the wedding with a few lines. He wanted something more substantial. So, he is open to appearing on the show at least.
So far, so good! This week's episode was MUCH better written and paced than last weeks. Hope it continues to get better. JR and Cliff's all too brief meeting was classic Dallas!
It is too bad about Vicky Principal as she was my favourite gal on dallas. Vicky still looks good today!!
This week episode was classic with Cliff being introduced. Cliff and JR rivalry brought back memories of the 1980s. The show is moving in a nice direction, especially the plots. I can see that Christoper is faced with a dilemma about the two woman and which one to choose.
It is neat seeing alternative energy being emphasized in the show. Bobby looked at alternatives in 1980s as part of Ewing Oil growth strategy by buying up solar energy companies. It should be interested to see how the series plays itself out over the summer.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
The Southfork locations aside, are the rest of the exterior locations in the Dallas revival series shot on location in Texas? For several seasons of the original series, around the first dozen or so episodes were shot on location in Texas (including the exterior Southfork scenes).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by eric scott richard /t/321616/dallas-2012#post_3942136
Yes they shot the entire season in Dallas.

Thanks for answering my question.

Great stuff. Looking forward to this Dallas revival series.

younger1968

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
paul young
eric scott richard said:
Yes they shot the entire season in Dallas.
There was a rumor that Dallas was going to be shot in Toronto, Ontario. However, the studios decided it could not be Dallas unless it was shot in Dallas.
I have watch all the episodes of Dallas and really love how Cliff came back into picture. It would be nice to see Vicky Principal, but from earlier post it does not appear she is interested in joining the cast.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The Dallas City Council ponied up incentives to the Dallas production company to keep the show shot in town.
http://www.wfaa.com/news/City-approves-12-million-in-tax-money-for-Dallas-show-production-158892275.html

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Victoria Principal is apparently rich as all get-out from getting involved early in the infomercial business. We'd all love to see her back but she has no real reason to come back. She doesn't need the money. However, it would certainly be good publicity for her.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks