DaLite Model B Glass Beaded 92" vs. DIY Parkland Plastic

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Stephen Hopkins, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

I have a Panasonic L300U projector and have been enjoying it very much for about 9 months now. Back in May I built an 88" 16:9 parkland plastic screen using an aluminum color paint and 3" black border. I'm happy with the screen, but I'm considering getting a commercial screen to replace it. The one that's caught my eye is the DaLite Model B in a 92" 16:9 w/ a glass beaded surface. I can get it for around $150 shipped. It seems that the glass beaded surface will offer a much higher gain (2.5) vs. my current screen (i'm guessing maybe 1.2 at the best?). What are the trade-offs going to be? I'm assuming black levels since it's going to be white instead of silver/grey? How about viewing angle? I can handle a loss in viewing angle since the only seating is a 3-4 person couch at about 17' from the screen and centered. So I guess I'm really asking if the pick-up in gain is worth what i'm assuming will be a drop in black levels? I have a large westward facing sliding glass door that's covered w/ blinds and curtains but it's still more light than i'd like in the room during the day. Will this screen help me get a brighter picture w/ ambient light? If so will the black levels still be tolerable?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Thomas Willard

Thomas Willard Stunt Coordinator

Do not buy a beaded screen. I prefer the matte white for my 300U. Don't worry about screen gain, but if you must have a higher gain screen Da-Lite has much better options than the old style beaded screen.

The reason I prefer matte white is no hot spots and better angle of viewing (both vertical and horizontal). Also when you replace the 300U in a few years, the higher lumen HD projector will look better using a matte white surface.

I am using the Da-Lite Model B with tensioner (45X80). Great screen for the price.

3. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

The 45 x 80 is the size I'm looking at. I'm not too worried about the viewing angle because all of my seating is within 20 - 23 degrees from right to left. I am curious to how the glass beaded causes hot spots and how they appear. It's probably going to be atleast a year down the road before I upgrade, hopefully once the replacememt to the 500U comes out and 500U prices come down, so I would really like a higher gain screen for now.

4. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

How about the Video Spectra 1.5 material? I found a place where I could get it for around $160 shipped. Would this material be better for what I'm looking to acheive w/out getting hotspotting and keeping a wider viewing angle? It has a gain of 1.5 and a viewing angle of 35 degrees. Or would the High Contrast Matte White be better? It only has a gain of 1.1, but would it be better for black levels in any way?

Thanks for the help [​IMG]

5. Max Leung

Max Leung Producer

Stephen, maybe you can order a set of screen samples (probably 1 foot square each I think) from Da-Lite.

Have a look at the Da-Lite High Power (2.8 gain), the High Contrast Matte White, Matte White, and the Video Spectra at the very least.

Glass-beaded screens are a BAD idea. The hot spotting will be similar to shining a flashlight on a piece of glass. Of course, I exaggerate, but you would notice a bright circle of light in the center of the screen.

The advantage of the High Power is much less reduced waves and wrinkles on a Model B chassis. Many owners report getting waves and wrinkles with the other Da-Lite material to a degree. Disadvantage of the High Power is the small viewing cone, which is 25 degrees (or 12.5 degrees from center of lens) when the gain is cut in half. However, a lot of owners don't mind because of the lack of waves, and mount their projector on the ceiling. The effective gain is roughly 1.4 or less in many ceiling mount situations with the High Power, unless the projector is very low.

6. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

High Power is probably out because of cost. I'll probably build my own tensioner so i'm not too worried about wrinkles. The Video Spectra is also slightly higher gain than the High Power with a wider viewing angle. The Projector sits on a coffey table and is pretty much level w/ the bottom of the screen, not sure how this affects things.