What's new

Dali Helicon 400's Arrive with Authority! (1 Viewer)

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Many haven't heard of this company out of Denmark, and those who have have probably commented on the "unreal craftsmanship" of these speakers, and smooth flowing sounds coming out of them. I have kicked off a good 50 hours on the speakers now, and have been utterly impressed with the sound of them...after demoing speakers (paradigm studios, dynaudio, Dali etc over the past 6 months, I found my mate...and will finally stop at these. First, the packaging..wow! I get worried about a product coming via boat from Denmark, being shipping on through the dist. center, and handled by a freight company...after I set my eyes on the pallet, I knew they would be in great shape! Not a ding in the cardboard! Whew! Opening them up was like a young child at Christmas....Up top they came with Spikes(2 variations) , post connectors, directions, Allen wrench, and WHITE GLOVES! Unbolting the bottoms (they have 2 heavy duty self tap plastic screws to hold the bottom on for security) and removing the cardboard, foam, and whatnot, my first reaction was WOW!! simply amazing looking..the pics don't do them justice by any means....Its tough to explain but they have the best finish of anything I've seen..whether it be a chair, cabinet, frame..you name it...it beats it..and its a speaker! Afer my wows, and 50 hours later...my thoughts are this...simply the best speaker I have ever looked at, listened to, and can finally say I'm done on the speaker portion! I threw everything at it...name it..organ, rock, jazz, movies of all ranges, XBOX, clarity is amazing...detail in every piece....good deep response (30 Hz) with some KICK! The soundstage present is utterly amazing in the fact that people over are convinced I have a center channel in my room (I had my screen down and they thought there was a speaker behind it) it fills my 4500 CF room with ease.... I highly recommend you do yourself a favor and listen to these speakers...I've been working with 2 Dali reps, and a sales Rep for them and I am VERY satisfied with the quick response and the flat out service they've provided with getting these to me in a timely matter (snow played a factor in this as well ..big storm delay up in MN To Ben, Steve, and Gordon..you guys are the best..thank you for you efforts, and hopefully others will give them audition...I think you are cheating yourself if ya don't at the pricepoint they are at. If you have any further questions, please PM me, or ask away....Oh...pictures Here are 2...only wish You could see that natural wood in person! --->

http://home.mchsi.com/~toml/wsb/html...e-skip-25.html

PS...Although I didn't get to audition the big Dynaudio Temptations (30k'ish a pair) My audio guy told me there is no need to...the Dali line sounds as impressive at a much much lower price. (They were put away at the time, as he has sold them...reason being...the Dali line has takin over as his preferred line in HIS household. Quite a statement....but I did see them prepped for pickup.

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Hey Tony! Thanks much! Still waiting on the boat to port here in the USA with my Center and surrounds:) Thanks again for reading/looking! tom

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Very impressive Tommy. I just spent the last half hour or so looking at them on a few different sites and they appear to be as nice as you state. (beautiful) You also must be packing some power to run/lift them knowing you.:emoji_thumbsup:

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Thanks Zack, and yes the B4+ resides in the corner across from the Dali's.

Steve, thanks to you also! They are crafted VERY well...the real wood almost looks fake. Like I've been told, they sound better than they look..and I'll back the statement up with a yes, they do. The price is reasonable when you consider it has made my audio guy dismantle his Temptations and sell them for the Dali's...I did in fact hear 2 other Dali lines and they were also VERY impressive..I chose this line because it was the right size to fill my room, good price, and sounded every bit as good as the others in the line...if I had a bigger room, then 1 knotch up would be sufficient..but my room is big..so these babies can hold their own quite well. Thanks again! tom

Scott_N

Second Unit
Tommy

I got a chance to hear the Helicon's this past weekend at my dealer and thought they were very close to the Euphonia series in sound. The biggest difference seemed to be in the bass. The MS5's really sounded good with a CJ Premier 17 and CJ Premier 140 but the Helicon's didn't like that combo at all and sounded better with a solid state amp from Edge. The mids and highs were very lovely though and the fit and finish is amazing at this price point. Very nice speaker for the money.

Enjoy!

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Yes Scott..I heard all 3 side by side..we ran a sweep and the MS5's had a bit more in them, but also were 3 times as much:) I have a good bottom feeder already (SVS B4+) and it ready if needed....talking with Dali, and room size, the Helicon fit my bill perfectly..the MS5's are a big speaker! I did think the midrange was better on the Helicon in clarity...after hearing them for a few hours, I got to know them pretty good with all the switching back and forth. We used a few amps, Sherbourn 7/2100, Gemstone, and a Plinius Odean...all conservativly 200 WPC...and all sounded great...my biggest "wow" with amps was not hearing any difference between the 3 amps...fun stuff...now the wait for the rest of the set:) take care and thanks for the comment! tom

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
My friend was a foreign exchange student from Denmark and when I went to his house his dad showed me a pair of Dali Book shelves that are over 20 years old. That company has been around quite a while and is considered pretty high end according to him.

I think those drivers are even designed in denmark, they look similar to the Vifa XT Wood drivers that go for $100 a pop.

I wonder what they sound like...

TommyL

Supporting Actor
Chris, yes the company has been making speakers for quite some time...glad they finally made it to the US with some higher end stuff, as I couldn't find anything in the price range I liked better...I should be getting the rest soon (CC and surrounds) I'll post a pic or 2 of them when things are here. Thanks for the input! tom

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NenaSiddall
Recent bookmarks