What's new

Daktari on DVD? (1 Viewer)

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
While I'm pleased about this release as I live in Britain I would have been happier if it had been a full DVD release. Here in Britain we don't have DVD on demand as yet. However if it is either that or nothing, then I am happy with the on demand service.

Doug^Ch

Second Unit
I received the set a couple of weeks ago, along with Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion. I have only had time to watch Clarence, which was very flat as far as video quality was concerned - very watchable but faded. I'm guessing that Daktari would look similar. I will report back after watching a couple of episodes.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I love this show and Clarence the Cross Eyed Lion, so I'm very glad both are getting DVD releases (I just watched the movie on TCM a few weeks ago, thought that transfer looked good enough).
Hope they finish the full run of the show.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I was delighted when season 1 was released. Does anyone know if it did well enough to merit seasons 2 - 4 being released as well? Many thanks.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm not sure how the sales are. I just picked up my copy at a great sale price and am enjoying the series as well. Warner Archive seems to be continuing their series in order of release so far. They continued Cheyenne in January followed by The FBI in February by my calculation Medical Center should be next followed by Courtship of Eddies father then Daktari and then Tarzan. So if it gets skipped in that sequence then it might be time to worry otherwise we just have to be patient. They are trying to bring alot of other TV shows out as well as movies and animation so it takes time.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
The WB Archive is also showing Daktari season 2 at 49.95, set for a March 19, 2013 release. I'm excited to see this show resume. I enjoyed it as a kid, and my children have loved it also. The WB is on quite a roll this year, at least as far as shows that I enjoy. Hoping to also see Tarzan season 2 coming soon....

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
GMBurns said:
The WB Archive is also showing Daktari season 2 at 49.95, set for a March 19, 2013 release. I'm excited to see this show resume. I enjoyed it as a kid, and my children have loved it also. The WB is on quite a roll this year, at least as far as shows that I enjoy. Hoping to also see Tarzan season 2 coming soon....
Yes I expect their Classic TV output will continue to increase this year. Nice Price on Daktari Season 2 considering its 29 episodes and Season 1 was $44.95 for 18 episodes but as always with WA if you can wait, a sale will come along that will make them much cheaper.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
I have been told by somebody who has this new set that there are only 28 episodes in it. That means that the episode Little Miss Nightingale which was originally transmitted on January 3rd 1967 seems to be missing. Does anyone here know why that might be please? Many thanks.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
Ian, I had the same question after receiving my set from Warner. Gord Lacey at TSOD found out from Warner that the episode "Little Miss Nightingale" actually belongs to season 3. Apparently some of the online episode guides are incorrect. That episode will likely be a part of the third season release. Warner has corrected the website listing to say there are 28 episodes in season 2. The only remaining discrepancy is the back cover of my season 2 set still says 30 episodes.

Ian K McLachlan

Second Unit
Real Name
Ian Kenneth McLachlan
Hi GM,

Many thanks for answering my question. Hopefully season 3 will be issued soon. Regards, Ian.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
I asked in the Warner Archive thread. It sounds like it's planned and being worked on. So hopefully later this year.

There were 16 months between season 1 and season 2. And season 2 released less than a year ago (March 19th). So nothing alarming about the amount of time that has passed since then.

GMBurns

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Glenn
I have great confidence that Warner will finish Daktari, along with many other shows. They don't always release the shows I want as fast as I'd like, but they are always working on someone's favorites. They are steady and consistent, and a great friend to classic tv fans.

stringbean

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Snorbitz
I'm from the UK and purchased my Daktari sets, both seasons 1 & 2 from Germany, Amazon.de. They are of course Region 2 PAL, so will not help guys in Region 1 land unless you own multi-region DVD players. The German sets are actually in English. No dubbing whatsoever.

The on-screen menu has the episodes in English too, but season two have them in German. Not a big deal for me though. The DVD cover is also in German. That doesn't worry me either as it's the content I'm interested in. Furthermore, unlike the inferior DVD-R MOD offerings from the US, these have been produced on proper pressed single sided DVDs.

I don't think the German people are happy for obvious reasons, it's all in English so they'll have to watch with German subtitles on.

Now if only I could get the Ron Ely Tarzan sets through Amazon.de on proper pressed DVDs and in English then I'll be very happy. At the moment, it's Region 1 DVD-R MOD or nothing for us here in the UK and I just don't fancy going down the DVD-R route unless I really have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks