Daisy Chain two SONY DVD Jukeboxes?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by carlos torres, Nov 30, 2001.

1. carlos torres

carlos torres Auditioning

1) Has anyone been successful connecting two SONY DVD Jukebox players by making one of the players the master? I called Sony Customer service and they said no - they can only be masters. I have a 200 player and I want to add a 300 player but I don't want to go through the hassle of keeping one machine off when I want to play a specific movie. I currently have a Macro set up so that when I press the DVD icon on my Pronto the whole system turns on and ready for DVD playing. If I have no other choice I can always set up a macro in my Pronto so that when I pick a movie the corresponding DVD player will turn on - but that means I have to modify all my existing movie macros and I am not looking forward to that [​IMG]
    2) Also do you think Video quality will be affected much if I use a standard (but modified) A/V switcher for component cables leading out of the DVD players into the TV?
    Thanks
    Carlos

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Wow, Carlos, you’ve been busy. 16 posts in 3 years? [​IMG]
    Seriously, I’ll be surprised if anyone here can help you if Sony said it can’t be done. If it was possible to daisy-chain two of these changers, I expect the manual would have addressed it with full instructions.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt

3. carlos torres

carlos torres Auditioning

"Wow, Carlos, you’ve been busy. 16 posts in 3 years?"
    S l o w t y p i s t...[​IMG]

4. KeithH

KeithH Lead Actor

Carlos, that's O.K. I don't post here too often either. [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I don't think Sony allows you to daisy-chain two DVD megachangers together. Why, I don't know. I assume you have the DVP-CX850D from a couple of years ago and want to daisy-chain it to the 'CX860 or 'CX870D. I don't think it will work. You can daisy-chain a Sony CD megachanger to the 'CX850D, but that obviously doesn't help you.
    The prices of the 'CX860 and 'CX870D have been falling, and they are about a year old now, so I would expect Sony to come out with new DVD megachangers in the next few months. Maybe they will incorporate progressive-scan output and/or SACD as well as daisy-chaining of DVD megachangers into newer models. Maybe newer models will even hold 400 discs since Sony already markets 400-disc CD megachangers. Of course, you still wouldn't be able to daisy-chain a new model to your 'CX850D, but you might consider upgrading to a new model. That may not sound appealing, but that's all you can do, I'm afraid.

5. andrew

andrew Auditioning

Carlos,

I have a similar problem and this is my solution.

I have 3 850's and I got one of the IR video switchers (composite video and stereo sound), I run the video though the video part and the coax digital audio through one of the stereo sound channels (I know I should burn in hell for this, but it works great). So now I only use 1 input on my receiver for all 3 changers, I made buttons in my pronto to do all the switching (I got an IR switch box so this could be done). The only remaining issue was how to control each changer separately and the answer to that was.... who cares they all turn off and on and play movies etc simultaneously but I only watch 1 at a time so who cares what the other 2 changers are up to (in fact it looks sorta cool in the darkened room to see all 3 cranking away )

Andrew