Daisy-chain ground loop filter?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ray_S, Oct 11, 2001.

1. Ray_S

Ray_S Auditioning

I get a really bad hum from my sub when I power it up so naturally I got a ground loop filter from Rat Shack. It eliminated it considerably but I can still hear a slight hum. Would daisy-chaining two filters eliminate this? Or is there a better quality filter that would work better?
    On that note, is the problem my house wiring or the fact that I have an inexpensive sub?

2. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Ray,
    The "ground loop filter” is more appropriately a “ground lift,” that is, it disconnects the ground lug from the electrical service. Using two ground lifts will add nothing to something that is already disconnected.
    I’m guessing you have the sub plugged into a different outlet from the rest of the gear? Most likely the problem that the two outlets are not only on two different circuits, but also on separate service legs at the breaker panel.
    Plug the sub into the same outlet s the rest of the gear, and the problem will most likely go away.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List

3. Ray_S

Ray_S Auditioning

Thanks Wayne. One more thing: my sub is on the other side of my room, so I can't plug it into the same outlet as the rest of my gear. Would it be enough if I plug it into an outlet that shares the same breaker switch?
    Thanks again!

4. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    First try running an extension cord to put the sub on the same outlet, as a test, to see if it makes a difference. If it does, then yes, plugging the sub into an outlet on the same circuit would accomplish the same thing. Typically all outlets on a circuit are wired in a daisy-chain fashion, which is functionally the same as using an extension cord.
    Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt
    ------------------
    My Equipment List