Dahlquist vs Atlantic

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brett Nix, Dec 12, 2002.

1. Brett Nix

Brett Nix Auditioning

I am currently looking for speakers to match with a Denon 3802 in a 20*17 room. 50/50 music/HT. I have talked with Marc at Audioshop about a Dahlquist system (QX6 fronts, QX5 rears, QX50 center, no sub) and also have the option of purchasing a slightly used Atlantic Tech T70 system (with sub) for about the same price. Anyone have input on these 2 systems for me? 1 main concern is that the fronts and rears will be wall-mounted. Any help would be appreciated.

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

If you heard the Dahlquist system you wouldn't even think twice about this! Tell Mark, James sent you LOL. Get the Dahlquist setup and thank me later.

3. Donnie Clark

Donnie Clark Agent

I have 6 Dahlquist QX 6's. The three rear are wall-mounted using Home Theater Direct's wall brackets with minimum modification. They weigh 15 pounds and the brackets hold up pretty well. The port is on the top-rear but the brackets give them about 4-5 inches of space from the walls.

I can't say enough about the sound they re-produce. I decided to go with the same speakers throughout for balanced audio. I'm betting you will not be disappointed with these speakers, especially for the money. Not sure about the Atlantic Technology speakers. I chose the Dahlquist over PSB, Klipsch and Paradigm. There are better speakers out there, but you might pay twice as much. The size, level of bass and the tweeter reproduction are incredible.

Oh, I use the Denon 3803. Sounds great! Impressed with both music (DVD-audio) and movies.

Donnie

4. Philip A

Philip A Agent

I have Dahlquists as well and could not say enough about their sound/build quality (QX10's & QX60C on the front, QX6's and QX4 across the back). I can't imagine getting anything in this price range that could stand up to their comparison. I've compared Polk, Infinity, and Klipsch with fantastic results. Sorry I don't have AT experience, though.

You'll be well-served working with Marc at Audio Shop--I've been very happy and totally impressed with his after-the-sale help as well...

--Phil

5. Brett Nix

Brett Nix Auditioning

Thanks for the responses. I'm leaning closer to getting the Dahlquist system and adding a sub later, but I do have one other question. How awkward do the QX6's look mounted on the wall? They are a good bit larger than the AT fronts and I'm having to consider the WAF here. Thanks again.

6. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Hi!

I have had a 5.1 Dahlquist setup for three months and its the best purchase I have made in audio stuff in a long time!!

I have 2 QX10's for fronts, a Q60C center, 125 sub and two QX9's for rears.

I have the front and center biwired.

In 2ch stereo mode they are awesome in HT 5.1 mode they are awesome!

Female voice is awesome!!!

marc at audioshop is a really great guy to deal with and has lots of answers...really customer orientated!

Alex
    Raleigh..

7. Donnie Clark

Donnie Clark Agent

Brett,

Check your e-mail. I have forwarded photos of the front and back of my room to give you an idea what they look like wall-mounted, on shelves and in-wall. All are QX 6's.

Donnie