Dahlquist Subwoofers at Ubid

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ron Katcher, Dec 26, 2002.

1. Ron Katcher

Ron Katcher Agent

I have seen a number of postings alluding to considering purchasing (or perhaps already having purchased) one of the Dahlquist PDQ line of subwoofers that are sold by Ubid. The current pricing on the 12-inch sub is in the area of $100 shipped, and I am looking for a decent, inexpensive sub.

Can anybody report back on their experiences with and thoughts of the PDQ-12 or PDQ-15 subwoofer?

Thanks!

2. EricTownsend

EricTownsend Stunt Coordinator

I purchased the PDQ-500 from them. That was the 15-inch job. It was, I think, $144 with 1 penny shipping. Looks great & weighs a ton, but I have yet to hook it up. I will post as soon as I have (if someone doesn't beat me to it). For the price, I figured I can't really lose.
    -Eric

3. EricTownsend

Make that the PDQ-1500 and I paid $143.01 shipped.
    I'll let you know!

4. Ron Katcher

Ron Katcher Agent

Looking forward to your review. Thanks!

5. EricTownsend

Well, I took the beast out of the box & tested it briefly... The packaging was very good and everything was in one piece. Did I mention this weighs 58 pounds? It has a 15" woofer (PDQ1500) and is dual rear ported. Not sure if it is magnetically shielded, but I don't think so, the manual said to keep it 40" away from the TV or computer equipment.... Not a biggie. It has the requisit phase switch (0 - 180), rotary volume, rotary crossover, and an LFE on/off switch which if on, turns off the internal crossover so your stereo can do the crossover work.
    Anyway, I used scene 23 from disc 1 of Pearl Harbor on DVD (Airfield attack). Oh my... For under $200, this really sounded great! Heck, even for over $200 it sounded great!
    The Specs are (from the manual) as follows... I just love the verbage they use to make their's sound great... Anyway, I just copied straight from the manual:
    Amp type:
    Class "D" operation
    Digital ready
    Driver compensated EQ circuitry
    Automatic mute once activated
    Rated power:
    PDQ800 = 50 watts, 100 peak
    PDQ1200 = 125 watts, 400 peak
    PDQ1500 = 175 watts, 500 peak
    Freq:
    38-150Hz, 32-150Hz, 28-150Hz
    Low pass Crossover
    Precision variable electronic crossover 50-150Hz
    High pass crossover
    Passive filter, 120Hz, 18dB/Octave
    Inputs:
    Line/Low level - mono or stereo RCA type
    High level - Stereo speaker spring clips
    Protection:
    Intelligent overdrive protection circuit
    Internal fuse
    Power:
    120V AC 60Hz
    Finish:
    Cabinet - Black woodgrain vinyl
    Anyway, I am going to be very happy with this Sub. I will have better chance to give it a full workout (including music) once I get moved into my new house (3 weeks).
    Hope this helps!
    I have some pics I took too. If you want to see them, just drop me a line at: [email protected]
    See ya,
    Eric Townsend

6. Sonnyc

Sonnyc Extra

I have the PDQ-1200 and I think it's a great sub. Previously I purchased the Cosco KLH 10" to try out and I think the Dalhquist sounds much better; stronger, tigher bass. I stuffed it with some extra padding but couldn't hear the difference. With LOTR and the volume above 1/2 way, the floor shook.

I got it from Ubid for $108 and 1 penny shipping. It's a nice sub for the price. I have it about 3' from the TV and don't see any problems.

Good luck.