What's new

Dahlquist Subwoofers at Ubid (1 Viewer)

Ron Katcher

Agent
I have seen a number of postings alluding to considering purchasing (or perhaps already having purchased) one of the Dahlquist PDQ line of subwoofers that are sold by Ubid. The current pricing on the 12-inch sub is in the area of $100 shipped, and I am looking for a decent, inexpensive sub.

Can anybody report back on their experiences with and thoughts of the PDQ-12 or PDQ-15 subwoofer?

Thanks!

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
I purchased the PDQ-500 from them. That was the 15-inch job. It was, I think, $144 with 1 penny shipping. Looks great & weighs a ton, but I have yet to hook it up. I will post as soon as I have (if someone doesn't beat me to it). For the price, I figured I can't really lose.
-Eric

EricTownsend

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I took the beast out of the box & tested it briefly... The packaging was very good and everything was in one piece. Did I mention this weighs 58 pounds? It has a 15" woofer (PDQ1500) and is dual rear ported. Not sure if it is magnetically shielded, but I don't think so, the manual said to keep it 40" away from the TV or computer equipment.... Not a biggie. It has the requisit phase switch (0 - 180), rotary volume, rotary crossover, and an LFE on/off switch which if on, turns off the internal crossover so your stereo can do the crossover work.
Anyway, I used scene 23 from disc 1 of Pearl Harbor on DVD (Airfield attack). Oh my... For under $200, this really sounded great! Heck, even for over $200 it sounded great!
The Specs are (from the manual) as follows... I just love the verbage they use to make their's sound great... Anyway, I just copied straight from the manual:
Amp type:
Class "D" operation
Digital ready
Driver compensated EQ circuitry
Automatic mute once activated
Rated power:
PDQ800 = 50 watts, 100 peak
PDQ1200 = 125 watts, 400 peak
PDQ1500 = 175 watts, 500 peak
Freq:
38-150Hz, 32-150Hz, 28-150Hz
Low pass Crossover
Precision variable electronic crossover 50-150Hz
High pass crossover
Passive filter, 120Hz, 18dB/Octave
Inputs:
Line/Low level - mono or stereo RCA type
High level - Stereo speaker spring clips
Protection:
Intelligent overdrive protection circuit
Internal fuse
Power:
120V AC 60Hz
Finish:
Cabinet - Black woodgrain vinyl
Anyway, I am going to be very happy with this Sub. I will have better chance to give it a full workout (including music) once I get moved into my new house (3 weeks).
Hope this helps!
I have some pics I took too. If you want to see them, just drop me a line at: [email protected]
See ya,
Eric Townsend

Sonnyc

Grip
I have the PDQ-1200 and I think it's a great sub. Previously I purchased the Cosco KLH 10" to try out and I think the Dalhquist sounds much better; stronger, tigher bass. I stuffed it with some extra padding but couldn't hear the difference. With LOTR and the volume above 1/2 way, the floor shook.

I got it from Ubid for $108 and 1 penny shipping. It's a nice sub for the price. I have it about 3' from the TV and don't see any problems.

Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.