Dahlquist subwoofer 'popping'

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Viro, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Viro

Viro Auditioning

Man, it's crazy what forums you can find on the 'net these days....

So I have a weird problem...

I have a Dahlquist subwoofer with the following specs...

8" high-power woofer with 1.5" voice-coil
    reflex rear ported front-firing cabinet
    Class-D (digital) pwer amplifier, 90W RMS - 250W peak power
    system optimised amplifier equalization

This is hooked up through a single RCA digital sub cable to my Kenwood VR-6060 home theatre receiver...

Here's the problem.....out of nowhere the sub starts 'popping'.

It'll do it if I'm watching tv with the audio going through my home theatre or it'll just start popping in the middle of the night with the receiver off (no sound to the speakers/sub).

When it does it it's a steady 'pop......pop......pop.......pop'

I'm reasonably handy and if I'm directed to a solution that'd be great....I'm past the warranty now and really don't want to dip into the cookie jar to get another one yet.

The set I bought was the Dahlquist Orbit 5.1 surround set....the sub is a model QX10T

Just looking at the circuit board, nothing really appears to have been damaged, all looks new.

2. jamiee

jamiee Auditioning

I wonder if it isn't picking up some sort of interferance from something?

Have you unpluged it from the receiver to rule that out?
    Maybe try another subwoofer cable or electrical outlet.

You can also contact Dahlquist & see what their suggestions might be. I've found them good to deal with in the past [​IMG]

Here's their website: dahlquistcorporation.com

Their contact info is there & I'm sure if you shoot them an e-mail they'll get back to you in a couple of days.

3. Viro

Viro Auditioning

I'm thinking interference but why would it do it all of a sudden like this....and it's plugged into a surge/line bar so it's not like it's in a regular wall outlet.

I've had it for over 1.5 years now and don't feel like I 'abuse' it with running my speakers loud...sure i crank it up for some things which is really all it takes but I looked at the condition of the woofer and I would think it's still ok.

It almost seems like something is overheating or something and then it just puts out the steady 'pop'. Once I unplug it and then plug it back in it 'stops'....until it'll start up again maybe 8 hours later.

It's not like it's just doing it when the receiver is on either....it's doing it with the receiver off...in the middle of the night.....awaking me from my deep sleep....

'pop........pop..........pop........pop....'

4. Viro

Viro Auditioning

yeah she's messed up....

I had to replace the fuse but after I did i plugger 'er back in and got nothing...

weird though, after tinkering with it plugged in the led power light was red.....and then went green....

5. Tim Stumpf

Tim Stumpf Stunt Coordinator

Sounds like your amp is toast.

6. jamiee

jamiee Auditioning

Is the Dahlquist warranty only 1 year on the Orbits?

I know the warranty period for my QX series is 5yrs. Something you may wanna doubble check.

As for the sub...yeah it does sound like the amp is toast. If you live around Toronto you could always bring the unit in for servicing. Just make an appointment to do so.

7. Viro

Viro Auditioning

i was peaking around for the warranty info and it's only 1 year on the powered sub but 5 years on the center and channel speakers....

figures it kicks the can after the warranty expires (2 years old now).

Gonna have to get it fixed i guess....I can afford to get a new sub but I really don't want to spend the cash like that. I love my home theater but 400 bucks (canadian) to shell out for one just bites.

8. jamiee

jamiee Auditioning

Ah good'ole Murphy's law strikes again!

I had to get a warranty replacement on a mid-bass driver & tweeter for a QX6 & 8 (Neice dented the tweet, woofer just fizled out after a couple of weeks). I'm fortunate enough in that I live only a 5 minute car ride away from the Dahlquist factory. I was expecting to have to leave the speakers there a few day's but was impressed when the tech fixed them both right on the spot w/ new replacement components, tested them & had me on my way in 30 minutes. All this on the Friday (late afternoon) of a long weekend.

He also didn't charge me for the damaged tweeter (which I had expected him too)

Overall I was pretty happy w/ their service.

9. Bruce Carillon

Bruce Carillon Auditioning

Viro! I've got the exact same problem with my subwoofer as well! Did you ever find out what caused it?

Thanks!!

10. Viro

Viro Auditioning

I'm still working on it!

Gonna have to take it in I think to get repaired which really pees me off....didn't last as long as I would have thought!

My pops has got an old 70's stereo with speakers that still kick ass for pete sake.

I replaced the fuse and plugged it in and got nothing....the power LED light was red, then after awhile went green ??? never noticed that before.

Also, usually after you power it up I never got the sound that the amp or whatever kicked in (usually when I plugged it in you get that 'pop' like you just plugged your guitar in if you know what i mean).

Not gonna tinker with it. I want to cuz I like to do stuff like that but I'm not familiar with amp stuff.