Dahlquist reviews???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Robertto, Sep 13, 2002.

1. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

Anyone have/demo these suckers?

Specifically looking at the QX9, 6 and 60c. Not too much in the search.

Any relative comparo vs Axiom, Paradigm, or the rockets?? Those are what I know best.

Thanks!

2. Jeff_Fitz

Jeff_Fitz Stunt Coordinator

3. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

I too am looking at comparisons between the Dahlquist speakers and the Rockets...

Anyone have any insight?

Robertto, what did you end up with?

Matthew

4. Steve Winkler

Steve Winkler Stunt Coordinator

Robertto,

I have the Qx9's for my front left & right and my surround left and right, and the QX60c for my center. Zero experience with either Axiom or Rockets as they are not available in my area. Very comparable to Paradigm, probably their Monitor line IMO. Maybe you've read some of the other posts I've put up here, I don't know, but I am really enjoying these speakers. They are (Qx9) clean, efficient, and loud. I love their bass response and I find the treble to be crisp and clear. The mid-range is as others have stated, laid back. For the money, I don't know if I could have made a better purchase and with over 100 hrs. on them now, they sound better and better. IMO the light cherry finish is very nice, better than the standard black in both appearance and fit/finish. The Qx60c reproduces movie soundtracks like a center speaker should, discernable dialog anchored to the monitior, with the clarity of music and sound effects mixed in. It is shaped in a way it can be placed either below your screen or on top and comes with with little "stick on" rubber feet.

I'm having these positive results with an older Sony STR-de 925 ht receiver, can't imagine how good they may sound with a little better amp or seperates.

Hope that helps a little.

Marc at audioshop.on.ca is a good man to talk to about this speaker line.

Steve

5. ernie.bin

ernie.bin Stunt Coordinator

from my experience, the dahlquists have a *very* different sound from the paradigms.

Paradigms being on the brighter side, the dahls being laid back. The difference was severe enough for me to stop considering the dahls due to my preference of the paradigm sound. I think the axioms ride even higher on the brightness scale, while rockets are more laid back.

best thing to do is try to get a listen of them somewhere.

6. Paul_Fisher

Paul_Fisher Screenwriter

Here is a link for a review of the QX6's, which I have and love.

7. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Agent

I bought a pair of the QX-9's for my son for Christmas, I've had the Axiom M80ti's in my home for an audition, am very familiar with the all Paradigm models, but haver never heard the Rockets. I might add that I have never compared any of these side by side using the same electronics, etc.

I cannot believe the QX-9's were being described as having a laid back mid-range, I couldn't agree more. The mid range is in fact where they excell. They are very smooth for sure, but do not mistake this with bing laid back because they are also very dynamic. The amount of bass you get out of this line is just incredible and it also has a sweet tweeter. This is the type of speaker that sounds good on all types of music and is also an excellent choice for HT.

As someone else mentioned, these are comparable to the Paradigm line, but IMO they are better. Close in all respects, except the mid-range where the Dahlquist is much better IMO. The tweet on the Paradigm is also brighter. Bother are excellent choices, but for the money I'd go with the QX-9's.

Oh yeah, the Axiom's. Many like this speaker and it is a pretty darned good speaker as well. If your looking for a brighter speaker with a more forward sound, probably even a bit nuetural than the other two, than this might be the speaker for you. Some prefer a very true speaker, some a warm, some a bright, you get the picture. All depends on your taste.

Hope this helped at least a little.

8. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Thanks everyone for your replies thus far! I have appreciated all the comparisons that have been made and it has definitely helped my decision process.

If it helps foster further discussion I am looking into gettting QX10s, QX4s and a QX60...

I have heard the Dahlquists can take a while to get just right in a room... Have you found this to be the case?

How large of a "sweet spot" have you found the dahlquists to have?

What is the off axis response like? (Perhaps in comparision to Paradigms or Axioms)

I really like the consistent description how they are less bright, but still very detailed, than some of the other speakers I was looking at (Axiom, Paradigm).

Although I know it is a different type of speaker (bookshelf) has anyone had the opportunity to do a direct comparison with Ascends?

Thanks again for all the help and insight,

Matthew

9. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

Robertto, do a search on here for QX6 there was a few discussions. I have given my comments many times. The QX6's are great and the QX10's are better. I have sent you a PM.

10. Robertto

Robertto Stunt Coordinator

Actually guys I went with the axioms. First the M22s up front then the vp150 ctr and finally added another set of M22s for the rears. I love the for both music and HT they do take a long time to truly settle in 100hrs is just the start at 300 hrs they come into their own. Running it with a sub is essential lows are not the specialty of these speakers I run them w/the Sony wm40(think that is the model w/the polyfil mod. For the money they are a great deal not as laid back as the paradigms but that's not what I wanted anyway.

FWIW I never did hear the Dahlquists.

Hope this helps you all out a bit.