Dahlquist QX6

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Donnie Clark, Dec 4, 2002.

1. Donnie Clark

Donnie Clark Agent

I have been in the market for a new home theater for years and finally decided on everything. As far as speakers, I auditioned Klipsch, Paradigm and PSB. I took a leap of faith based on this website and my needs. I wanted a small, bookshelf speaker that could handle everything except very low bass and sound good on movies and music.

I bought three pair of the Dahlquist QX6's and just received a Denon 3803 receiver today. I didn't opt for a 7th channel due to space concerns. My old system consisted of a Sony 935 receiver with DCM time-frame main speakers and Cambridge handling the surrounds.

My new system is above and beyond what I expected. These little Dahlquist speakers are awesome. My wife and I listened to several CD's in two-channel stereo and A/B'd them with my old DCM's. Keep in mind that the DCM time-frame 750 was a $1000/pr speaker 12 years ago and very highly regarded. The Dahlquist really give them a run, but smoke them dollar for dollar. Imaging was slightly, and I mean slightly better on the DCM's but they were also left and right specific speakers with offset drivers. They also had a little more clean bass thanks to a three-way design and an 8-inch woofer, but didn't play as low. The Dahlquist are better in every other sense. The biggest difference is that the Dahlquist can be in a less than perfect position and still sound great. The tweeter has the widest dispersion I've heard. We started with them about three foot above ear level and I thought, man these sound good. Once they were angled down slightly, or we stood up, they sounded even better. The difference wasn't huge, just slightly better which makes these so flexible. The bass was impressive before I hooked up my sub (Klipsch KSW-15). The rear center is mounted on it's side and doesn't suffer much at all from being off axis.

I have been going through my favorite library of DVD's and am very impressed. I really liked both the PSB's and Paradigm's, but I don't think any of their bookshelf speakers can compete with the QX6's dollar for dollar. Klipsch is just too harsh for me.

The hardest part about buying the Dahlquist's is that I can get the other speakers very close to dealer cost. With the currency rate, the Dahlquist's were the best bang for the buck in my experience. My living room couldn't handle tower speakers and I wanted the uniformity of six matching speakers for great surround. If this fits your bill, or if your speakers need to be in less than ideal positions, you may want to consider these little beauties. Also, if you're looking at a satellite system with sub, just consider five of these instead. They will be about the same price, sound much better overall and you can add a sub when the budget fits.

I have a Panasonic PT-AE300 projector on order. Really looking forward to demoing the system in the dark and have people in awe of the sound (and picture) only to turn on the lights to show them these little bad boys. Thank you everyone for taking the leap of faith before me so your reviews could help convince me, and thank you Marc at Audioshop. You asked me to let you know how I like them, couldn't be happier.

Donnie

2. James Bergeron

James Bergeron Supporting Actor

I totally agree with Donnie. These speakers are great! I use them in a 2 channel system and I am very happy with them. I'm betting when the upgrade bug hits, I'm going to have to look very hard to find something to best these. And I WILL have to do in home comparisons, because these speakers are great. I've compared them to my Paradigm Studio 40's which are double the price and it's a close match, the Studio's go lower (but they are a MUCH larger speaker) and the mid (Again has a seperate driver) is a tad cleaner but, the upper end on the Dahlquist is phenomenal and sweet, it's not ear pearsing or harsh.

3. Abhinandan

Abhinandan Stunt Coordinator

Donnie,
    Nice post! I have Denon 2802. I'm planning on 3 pairs of QX6s after reading your post! I wanted to know about the surround effect with QX6 and how have you placed them in your setup. What's the crossover on your sub? What's the setting on each of the channels? Are they all SMALL?

4. Donnie Clark

Donnie Clark Agent

My setup is limited so the surrounds are on the back wall along with the rear center, approximately 2 inches from the 8 foot ceiling, angled down slightly. The surround sound is good but they sounded better in my basement theater when they were mounted on the side walls. I tested them by replacing my Cambridge dipoles and found that I prefer direct radiator surround vs. dipoles. If your room is wide enough and you can mount the surrounds on the side of the room, you will probably be very happy.

I have a Klipsch KSW-15 sub and had all six speakers set at large for a while. I switched them to small last week and they will probably stay that way. The sub handles LFE + mains, 80 Hz and below. The speakers had no problem producing the bass and there was no distortion at high volumes. I just don't believe in pushing the Denon amp or the speakers hard, when it isn't necessary. Try the speakers without a sub and you will be impressed. I demoed them to many friends and they couldn't believe such a small speaker could produce so much sound.

I can't say enough about these speakers. For the $ spent, they are a great bargain. I will probably upgrade my sub, receiver, CD player and projector in the next three years as technology changes. I can't forsee wanting to upgrade these speakers. When I upgrade my basement theater, I will get Dahlquist's as well.

Good luck with your setup. If you get the speakers and don't like them for some reason, they will be easy to sell. I haven't seen a used Dahlquist QX series for sale anywhere yet. I will e-mail you a photo of my room.

Donnie

5. Abhinandan

Abhinandan Stunt Coordinator

Donnie,
    Thanks for the pictures! Nice setup! I'll post my impressions after getting my Dahls home. Denon and Dahls are both on warmer side. How do you find the treble response with Denon? Does your left speaker interfere with your TV-tube?

6. Donnie Clark

Donnie Clark Agent

I find the treble response fine with the setup. The receiver bass and treble are set flat. My only gripe with the receiver is you cannot adjust bass and treble separately for each speaker. I would like to be able to adjust the treble +1 on the center speaker since the perforated screen just slightly affects the sound. The speaker doesn't affect the tube TV.

Have fun with your setup. It should sound great.

Donnie

7. Kincade

Kincade Second Unit

I'd have to agree w/ donnies assessment - I purchased a set of QX10's for my mains, QX4's for surrounds, and a QX60C for a center around christmas. After about 80 hours of break-in, i am amazed by the clarity, the wide imaging, and fantastic soundstage of these speakers - frankly, i'm glad i didn't go with the paradigm monitor 9's i was looking at - they did not sound as good, and would have cost me more money.

my only problem has been with placement in my room - i cannot get the qx4's placed to a position where they are not a distraction during HT - even at 3' above the couch firing at each other, they sound like they're aimed directly at the seating area. i hate to say it, but the dipole rears may have been a better choice for me with my current room...

these speakers are truly a bargain, especially with the favorable exchange rate.

8. Chu Gai

Chu Gai Lead Actor

i was very fond of the time-windows from that period.

9. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hi Kincade,
    Please turn down the level for the QX4 by about three or four dB to see if they disappear more easily. Hopefully that will give you a nice seamless surround image.
    If not, let me know and we'll have to upgrade you to the QX20R for the effects. They can be switched between a direct or dipole radiating mode.
    Thank you gentlemen for your trust and for your business on the Dahlquists!