Dahlquist Orbit 5.1 Subwoofer

Discussion in 'Speakers & Subwoofers' started by MikeyG, Nov 12, 2004.

1. MikeyG

MikeyG Auditioning

Hi All... I bought a Dahlquist Orbit 5.1 speaker system about 2 years ago and simply love it. Well, till my subwoofer went south. I opened it up to find a 1A fuse blown. when I change it and add AC, it humms for a moment till the fuse blows again. I stared at the components for a bit and did not notice anything burnt/mangled. Anyone know what might be wrong? I'm hoping to get this repaired myself. Going tothe dahlquist website was useless. It looks like they are out of business via the web-Mike

2. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hi Mike,
    They are definitely in business. Give them a call at 905-305-8387 or email them at [email protected].
    Let them know if it is the original Orbit 5.1 or the later generation Orbit5.1A as they are different amplifiers.

3. Reggie_F

Reggie_F Agent

Mike,

How do you find the subwoofer's performance. I'm thinking of getting the Orbit 5.1a but I'm worried the subwoofer lacks some low-end.

MarcH,
    I've noticed that you sell the Dalhquists and I'm sure you are quite familiar with the Orbits. That being said, is it advisable (or needed) to add a larger sub, ie. Dayton Tiny Mighty to the system. Orbits sub is rated to 40hz sub.

Thanks.

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Auditioning

Thanks for the Dahlquist number. I'll give them a call and reply later with a status. I have the 5.1A. And like I stated in the orig post, I love this speaker system. The subwoofer and all. I have the speakers about 8 feet off the gound and the subwoofer below my center channel. the room is about 20' x 20'. Powered by a Denon AVR 1803.

-Mike

5. Marc H

Marc H Second Unit

Hi Reggie,
    I am very impressed with the Orbit sub, especially with the "A" version. It handles bass peaks really well and is tougher to bottom out than the other small subs I have experience with. I am also impressed with how such a small sub can fill a room. We have it on display in the front room of our shop which is quite a large area and seems quite satisfying. The spec of 40Hz is just the limit of rated flat response (+/-3dB) and there is usable output well below that. I would guess that it gets just below 30hz in a usable way.