Dagon... A new classic!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Justin_S, Jul 15, 2002.

1. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

I actually got to see DAGON the Saturday before july 4th weekend at a theater in San Antonio, and let me tell you, it is one excellent film! The fish people are such freaky bastards! The island settings are all gorgeous too. Best of all, this film is probably the most faithful HP Lovecraft adaptation to date, and it makes for a spectacular film! This is seriously Gordon's best film since RE-ANIMATOR, and I honestly think it is a new classic! You heard right, a new classic! The only problem I had with the film was a small bit of the CGI, but that is really a small complaint for such a wonderful film.

By the way, after seeing the film in the theater (which was a true pleasure), I quickly preordered the DVD. Well, I was at Best Buy this past Saturday, and they had one copy of DAGON for $19.99! Needless to say, I snatched that sucker up, and cancelled my preorder! I've watched it two more times since getting the DVD. HIGHLY recommended!

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Alright. A Lovecraftian thread has been open for over an hour now and there's still no sign of Julie K. Something's definitely not right with the world. [​IMG]

3. Alex Spindler

Alex Spindler Producer

Heh.

I think I might just have to pick this one up. The DVD File review was very favorable.

4. Rex Bachmann

Rex Bachmann Screenwriter

Rex Bachmann
    Justin_S wrote:

5. Justin_S

Justin_S Producer

Hey, I'm a huge Lovecraft fan, and it definitely is very hard to adapt his work into films, but I think some films have actually done so pretty well. DAGON is the one that has done it the best to date though, and yes, I think that is saying something. Something great at that! [​IMG]

6. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

You guys don't know how much I've been banging my head against the keyboard lately. I've seen reviews from folks who bought the Brazilian DVD - well, I ordered one that never showed up. I had a problem at the last minute and missed the theatrical showing last May. I have been haunting, literally haunting, my local Best Buy lately on the hopes they'll put out a copy - nothing, nada, zip. I am SOOOOOO frustrated. I WANT DAGON!!! Everyone is seeing this film except me! ARRGGHHHH!!!!

7. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

8. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Well, I checked with my local Blockbuster. If you don't have an aversion to going to them they are supposed to get it in on the 23rd. I'm sure there won't be a ton of copies but at the same time I doubt too many people will be rushing to get that one (and that's not a statement about quality or anything, just awareness).

9. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I've got it on pre-order and it should arrive by street date (unless the Mi-Go agents are interfering with the mail again!) but I want it NOW.

10. James_Kiang

James_Kiang Screenwriter

Ah, I see. I just didn't have enough confidence to make the purchase sight unseen. Actually, now that I think about it, there is a no-name rental store down the street that tends to break street date on the next week's releases. They might have it out already. Hmmm, might have to swing by after work.

11. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Yeah, this has been my most anticipated release in I can't remember how long. I've tried twice now to see it early (the Brazilian DVD that didn't come and the missed film festival) and these reports of stores breaking street dates has me in a state similar to the cat in a certain Far Side cartoon - the cat is in the house pressed up anxiously at the window looking at the wreck of two trucks. They bear the logos of "Al's Small Flightless Birds" and "Ted's Rodents". So near, so far.

12. JonZ

JonZ Lead Actor

Re-Animator is one of my favorite movies. From Beyond is ok, and I havent liked most of the other Lovecraft adaptions.
    I am looking foward to this one,I recently read the story and the reviews have been very favorable.

13. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu fhtagn!
    Well hot damn, I guess the sacrifices and those chants from the dread Necronomicon worked: my local Best Buy had a copy of Dagon on its shelves last night. Of course, DAgon was filed after the DR Who DVDs in a display of some totally unearthly logic, but whatever.
    My opinion?
    The best HP Lovecraft adaptation ever and a great horror film that is sure to become a classic.
    Of course, most Lovecraft adaptations in the past have been lacking. Re-Animator was a good one - I think it caught some of the tongue in cheek style and self-parody of the original story. The Resurrected is pretty good but lacking something. The rest are pretty bad (but then, being bad does not preclude enjoyment - I do like to pop The Dunwich Horror into the player from time to time.)
    Dagon is in a class of its own. Sure, there are differences between it and the stories it was based on (Dagon and Shadow Over Innsmouth) but unlike the rest of the attempts, this had a very Lovecraft feel to it. I might have liked to see the folks of Imboca display something a little closer to the standard Deep One look, but that's just a minor little nit, overall I thought the changes and additions were very well done. I really liked how Gordon got across the idea of the unblinking townsfish, er, townsfolk. [​IMG]
    I really enjoyed this movie. I spent a lot of time anticipating its release and that can often lead to a sense of disappointent when finally viewing a movie. That did not happen here at all. I loved this movie. I was on the edge of my seat quite often (even knowing the entire plot!) and the town is a perfect 'Innsmouth'. Boy, is that a creepy and decayed town! And the water - I still feel wet.
    The only quibbles I might have are with some of the CGI. But less than perfect CGI bothers me less in low budget movies than in big budget movies.
    I think this will eventually become a new classic and hopefully drive new films based on the works of HP Lovecraft. Horror fans should pick this one up!

14. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

I watched this last weekend and really enjoyed it. Very well made horror film, with some very good scares. My only complaint, which has already been said, was the bad CG.

Thank God they kept the
    dark ending. I kept thinking that they were going to have the guy pull off some miracle and get out of the situation. But no, it ended the way it should have ended. How refreshing.

15. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

Ross,
    Yes, had this been a big budget Hollywood movie we would have lost that. Which would have ruined the entire movie IMO.

I also love how

Lovecraft's words come up at the end as the screen fades to black. That's just so beautiful.

I've seen this 8 times already since I got it. This just keeps growing and growing on me.

16. JohnE

JohnE Supporting Actor

I've been debating if I want to buy this and I think you just sold me Julie. Off to Amazon.

17. Michael Dueppen

Michael Dueppen Stunt Coordinator

I rented this a couple weeks ago and loved it.
    Definitely recommended.

18. Andy Sheets

Andy Sheets Cinematographer

I got this in from Netflix last night and put it in almost right away. Really well done, IMO. It definitely sets a new high standard for Lovecraft adaptations. It had some of the problems that are pretty much inherent in low budget movies, mainly in the FX quality and the occasional hiccup in the acting, but everything else was excellent and I love how utterly non-Hollywood it was. No cheap wussing out on the subject matter and no stupid "made you jump!" moments. The movie totally trusts its story and everything flows from that.
    Favorite moments had to be the ending, and the bit in the hotel room involving the door lock was very suspenseful. Those townspeople were really creepy [​IMG]
    Edit: Oh, and the town name is cute too, if I remember my Spanish correctly. Imboca = "In the mouth" ---> Innsmouth? Heh [​IMG]

19. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

I saw this at a festival at the American Cinematheque in May (after Re-Animator and From Beyond!) and was duly impressed. The DVD is solid, save for the crappy cover and the aforementioned CG problems. But what do you expect for a movie that only cost $5 million?

Very dark, unsettling and worthwhile. I hope Stuart Gordon makes more movies like this and not "Space Truckers"!

20. Artur Meinild

Artur Meinild Screenwriter

I have to get my "grubby little webbed hands" on this as well, hehe... [​IMG]
    It sounds like a very cool movie, and we are in great need good Lovecraft movies!