1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Dagon - A good Lovecraft adaptation

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Randy Schissler, Aug 19, 2002.

1. Randy Schissler

Randy Schissler Stunt Coordinator

I recently purchased the DVD Dagon and watched it last night. Although Lovecraft wrote a short story with the "Dagon" title, the movie is based mainly on the longer story "The Shadow Over Innsmouth". Most Lovecraft based movies have been poor attempts, but I was quite pleased with Dagon. It isn't a perfect movie, but it stays pretty intense all the way through, holding true to Lovecraft's ideas, and Lovecraft would appreciate the fact that it avoids campy humor. I especially liked the ending where it showed the text from the last few lines of The Shadow Over Innsmouth, as those lines are the essence of the story.

--Randy Schissler

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Picked this up this past weekend at Best Buy's horror/sci-fi sale. Haven't watched yet.
    Some additional thoughts on the movie in this other thread.

3. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

You found this at Best Buy? Wow. The ones here in LA were clueless about this title. I finally picked it up at Laser Blazer last week, after having seen this at a festival in May. Pretty great stuff.

4. Mark McAlister

Mark McAlister Stunt Coordinator

How much was it at Best Buy. I want this movie, it was great. What were the Extras included on the disc? btw, Macarena Gomez was hot in this movie[​IMG]

5. Julie K

Julie K Screenwriter

I really enjoyed Dagon and think it's not only a great Lovecraft adaptation but also one of the best horror films I've seen in quite some time. Five tentacles out of 5. I particularly enjoyed the flashback scenes as told by Ezekial (the Zadok Allen character) - very compelling.

Mark,
    There are two commentaries on the disc and both are worth listening to. The first is by Gordon and Dennis Paoli and it is extremely informative. The second is more scene specific with Gordon and Ezra Godden (who plays Paul Marsh) but it's still quite a bit of fun.

On a side note about Best Buy and Dagon - mine got one, count them one, whole copy a week before the street date. I've noticed that with anything other than a major blockbuster title that you can just about forget finding it at Best Buy. They'll get just one copy of some new smaller film (like Dagon or Attic Expeditions), maybe a few copies of some catalog titles (or none - just where the hell was Time After Time?!?), but stock tons of copies of Planet of the Apes or Time Machine. They used to have a much better selection.

(Edit: fixed my brain fart concerning poor Ezra's name. You would think after 9 viewings I would have it correct. Have I mentioned how much I love this movie?)

6. Scott Bell

Scott Bell Stunt Coordinator

I agree..this is one of the best "Lovecraft" movies to date. I ordered mine from a Canadian site ($13.50 shipped). I highly recommend this to any Lovecraft fan.

7. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Best Buy price was $19.99 ($17.99 during last weekend's sale).

8. Jan Strnad

Jan Strnad Screenwriter

I've seen this DVD and been very tempted, but I've never given it a shot. Guess, as a Lovecraft fan, I need to check it out! Thanks for the tip!

Jan