Dagnabbit!!! (subwoofer)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Joseph, Nov 2, 2002.

1. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    My sub was fine but after watching Spiderman, it would not turn on. I checked the fuse (blown), replaced it and it blew again, and again. I decided to do some investigation. If I unplug everything after the transformer, the fure does not blow. As soon as I hook in the power supply, it blows, even with no load. Looks like I need another power supply for this PSB Subsonic 6.

I wish I had the money for a decent sub.

2. Khoa Tran

Khoa Tran Supporting Actor

What was the post for if you just solved your own problem?

3. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Neil,

I thought you had built your own sub at some point. Maybe not, but it might be worth checking out if you haven't already.

4. Chris Tsutsui

Chris Tsutsui Screenwriter

The post is likely for venting. You might post too if your sub suddenly stopped working.
    I feel for you Neil, today I had an old 27" television officially call it quits. It started with audio problems that shut on/off and when the sound stopped for good I took it apart and looked at the IC and it was totally fried. [​IMG]
    It's an Old Toshiba, at least it was only a secondary TV.

5. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Neil,
    You wanted a Tumult right? [​IMG]
    Seth

6. steve nn

steve nn Cinematographer

We shall grieve for you Neil and hope the sub Gods will relieve you with a new sub? Strength and Honor [​IMG]

7. Michael R Price

Michael R Price Screenwriter

Neil, there's a possibility you blew the output transistors under the heavy load. This happened to my amp when I shorted its output by accident - the fuses blew, but when I replaced them they would just blow out again. Replacing the output transistors (not too expensive if substitutes are readily available) fixed the problem. You may want to try that yourself, or send the amp in for repair.

8. Geoff L

Geoff L Screenwriter

Neil

Sounds like (this assuming the Sub-6 is not a quick fix) a good time to build that MAX CAL DIY Sub you were planing!

I belive your the one with that Raw driver......?

Good luck on what ever route you choose to go after, repair-6 or build the Max.

Regards
    Geoff

9. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

If the situation cannot be fixed, how about replacing the damaged amp with a plate amp and possibly, a new driver. [​IMG] Not sure what the exact driver size is on your PSB? Any other info like dimensions, vented dia/length, etc would helpful too. [​IMG]
    Dave

10. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    nbI believe the box is only 2.5 ft^3 with two 2" ports at 9" long. My maxcaliber driver is a little too big for that driver hole, plus the box is a little smaller than what I would use that driver for. I would estimate the PSB driver to be 11.2" in diameter but I would have to take exact measurements to be sure. I may try to replace the two output transistors. I'll see if I can get a close match. I will also try to see if PSB will just sell the power supply portion (1 small card) of the amp. I sure ain't gunna buy a whole amp.

And yes, this thread was definitely for venting.

11. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Get a load of this...
    I payed cdn$900 for the sub. I called PSB and they do not sell just the power supply (just the whole amp) for a steal of cdn$600. [​IMG]
    I have two options as I see it. Replace the 4 power transistors that I can see on the supply and see if that works. Then my next option is to get an equivalent plate amp for it from a local parts store.

12. DavidY

DavidY Supporting Actor

PSB charges CDN$600 for a new power supply....talk about price gouging. [​IMG]
    FWIW, http://www.creativesound.ca carries the Adire AVA250 for CDN$284.
    Dave

13. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Neil,

Also keep in mind that the sub may not have the same frequency response using a generic plate amp. I'd imagine that the PSB has some amount of boost built into their amps.

14. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Like I said before...
    You really wanted a tumult anyways right? [​IMG]
    Seth

15. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    Well, I have fixed it. I replaced the 4 power transistors on the board and tried it out tonight with success. I am so happy.