Daewoo 42" Widescreen Plasma EDTV DP-42SM?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Douglas, Apr 25, 2004.

1. Michael Douglas

Michael Douglas Stunt Coordinator

Anyone know anything about this TV? I've been looking to get a plasma display panel TV, but I also know that you get what you pay for. This particular TV is going for $2500, but it's Daewoo. Also the resolution is only 853 x 480 pixels compared to all the upper end TVs. How big of a difference is 853 x 480 pixels?

2. Don_Berg

Don_Berg Supporting Actor

You'd be better off with the best lower cost ED plasma, a Panasonic - the black levels are poor on the cheapo models like Daewoo. As far as the 42" ED plasmas (852x480 resolution) vs the more expensive 42" HD plasmas (1024x768 resolution) - if your viewing distance is 8feet or more, your eyes won't be able to see any difference with HD sources. With regular analog and DVD video sources, the ED plasma is superior since less scaling is required.

3. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

Guys, we talk about TVs and monitors here in Display Devices. Thanks!

4. Bill Will

Bill Will Screenwriter

Don't known anything about this outfit but www.us1camera.com has the 42" Panasonic TH42PWD6DY for $2,399.99 + shipping $199.99 = $2,599.98

5. Michael Douglas

Michael Douglas Stunt Coordinator

Thanks, Don. It's always my preference to stick with the big name brands and shell out the extra dough (I paid $500 for a basic, no frills Sony DVD player when DVD players first came out).

So what would the best low-end name-brand plasma TVs be, besides Sony and Panasonic? Where do Zenith, Philips, Toshiba, etc. fit into the scheme of things?