What's new

Daddy Daycare? Another Murphy misfire? (1 Viewer)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Well there you have a good point.

Dan Aykroyd still exists as a second-tier character actor (Pearl Harbor, Grosse Pointe Blank, Evolution) and by appearing in a whole LOT of crappy DTV/cable flicks (Susan's Plan, Getting Away with Murder, etc., etc.) I'd say his leading man days are over (how hilarious it is to consider that he was the "star" of Dragnet and Tom Hanks was second banana!) but the guy's always a welcome sight on my TV screen.

Bill Murray is on a higher plane entirely. I suspect that, despite his reported 'difficulty' with other actors, most directors would kill to have Bill play a supporting role in their movie. By and large, I'd say people still really love Bill Murray.

Chevy Chase? Eep. Hard to say. He's another one who's known as a real troublemaker, though it's hard to tell how much of that is true and how much is BS. Based on what I've heard, the guy's an outright jerk! Still, it would be great to see Chevy get a role that 'fits' his aging persona. I think the guy still has some real laughs left in him. He's currently one step above unemployed, but the right script and a ballsy casting director could change that right quick. If Travolta can do it....

Good movies or bad, I'll always love these guys. Their movies virtually raised me. :)

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Oh no, Daddy Day Care made a lot of money this weekend. On the one hand I'm happy for Eddie Murphy, who could use a hit, but I'm afraid that this means that we'll see him wasting his talents in more horrible children's movies.

I think that's bad. Kids like almost every piece of kid movie junk you put in front of them. Worst example: Master of Disguise. There need to be more films that both children and adults can enjoy. I'm especially looking forward to Finding Nemo this season.

Regarding Aykroyd - he's had more than his share of bad parts, but when a film like House of Mirth comes along, it's as if it's all been worth it.

Bill made the move, Dan did (yes, I'm on first-name basis with these guys ). Chevy Chase has said that he's afraid to, emotionally - I'm still hopeful, though. But will Eddie Murphy ever start doing dramatic work? Would he be good at it?

Look at Richard Pryor - another talented comedian where you wouldn't immediately think "serious actor". I'm probably the first to admit that I thought Jo-Jo Dancer was good. It had its flaws, but it showed that Pryor had a lot of promise in the dramatic acting field. Unfortunately, his illness prevented him from exploring it more. If only Murphy would take the gamble.

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
Like Michael said, I don't think a $27,600,000 opening weekend is going to sway him away from family films ;)

Although it could be argued that the parents forced their kids to see the movie :D

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Trading Places[/q] is a good indicator of what Eddie Murphy is capable of doing. If he wanted to do more dramatic roles, he could succeed. What it comes down to is......does he want to? Judging from most of his later output........No.

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Life had potential of being a comedic drama. There were some interesting dramatic elements but I don't think they were explored enough.

It's easy to see why Chevy Chase and Eddie Murphy don't make dramatic movies. They films they do now probably don't require much of an effort. They just come to the set and read their lines. They've done it for decades and they know that they're good at it. In terms of performance, there's no risk.

Doing a dramatic part requires effort. They'd have to mentally prepare for the part. I think both are afraid to do that. Chevy Chase once said that he passed on American Beauty and Forrest Gump for that reason. Perhaps Eddie Murphy, too.

And, of course, they run the risk of being criticized like Bill Murray in The Razor's Edge.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
Watched Ebert and Roeper earlier this evening and they both ripped Daddy Day Care a new one. I wouldn't be surprised to see it make one or both of their 10 worst films of the year list(s), based upon their comments.

- Walter.

DanHaya

Second Unit
Frankly, I think he needs to get back to the kinds of films that made him a star back in the 80s, but why would he when he's making tons of money making family films?

I had heard a year or two ago that he was working on a script for Beverly Hills Cop 4, but my guess is that he's never been able to come up with a decent storyline. I had kinda hoped that he would return to that franchise if he could make one as good as the first two.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
More like Delirious, less like Raw.

In my high school days, I about ran off the road laughing so hard while listening to Delirious on tape.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
Nowadays, he'd probably do a concert film like "Bill Cosby: Himself". If the lack of vulgarity in his recent work (excluding the "Nutty Professors" and "Life") is any indication, he'd probably be doing a more family-friendly stand-up act.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

Who wants a parfait?

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I was really hoping this movie would do worse then it did this past weekend because I think movies like this are crap and they are aimed at the lowest common denominator. Potty jokes and nothing more than a way for Murphy to pull in some more money.
Though its made for kids, I think hes right in the same catagory as crap movie Kings, Sandler and Rob Schneider.

You can make films for kids like Spy Kids so I know it can be done.

Next up for Murphy, another Disney movie based on a theme park ride.
Eddie, what have you dont to your career??????!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks