What's new

Dad wants an upgrade for under $500- help please! (1 Viewer)

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
after seeing/hearing my new setup, he figures he wants to upgrade our family/tv room system. here's what it has now:
4 old in-wall speakers (he claims they're great, but he really has no clue. and yes, that's only 4)
an old sub of some kind
35-40" Trinitron TV, not sure on model but it's semi-new
old yamaha amp ______
old yamaha pre-amp --> all about 10 years old
old yamaha tuner ____/
old yamaha tape deck /
old yamaha cd player /
new Mitsubishi VHS player (it was ~$500 two yrs ago)
he wants a new receiver and a dvd player for around $500. he really knows how to get ripped off 'cause he hires people to come to the house and tell him what to get. i want to get him something he will like and not rip him off. i also NEED to convince him to get another speaker!! here's what i'm thinking:
Onkyo 595 ($359)
a good dvd player (HELP)
one speaker (HELP)
he really has no clue what he's doing but insists the in-walls and sub are great speakers and will not replace them. i know it's bad, but any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! thanks!
-thomas

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
$500 isn't a really big budget to play with if your dad needs both a new receiver AND DVD player. If you're going with that Onkyo model, that'll leave you with roughly $140 to spare. I can't even think of a player I can wholeheartedly recommend for that price level.
If he extends his budget a tad bit (like maybe $50 or so), he can open up the door to several good models. The Panasonic RV-31 is a decent

Thomas_Berg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Thomas
where the heck did you find a 595 for $360?
jandr.com lists it for $399 but if you call and say i got it for less, they can go as low as $359. it's the best deal in town now!
yeah, i know $500 is not nearly enough but that's one thing i need to convince him of. i'll look into the RV-31 and try to get him to cough up a few more bucks for a center channel. what would you recommend for about $100 (+/- about $50)?

Matt DeVillier

Supporting Actor
$500 is calling it close, but doable. I got my Sony DB-840 receiver for $350 shipped (from soundcity), and it shouldn't be hard to find some of last-year's dvd players (Pioneer DV-333, Panny DVD-RV30, Toshiba SD-1600) for < $150 (I just sold a new RV30 for $130). I agree though that you really need to convince him to budget additionally for a quality center channel. A stopgap solution would be to use the TV's built in speakers as a center channel if possible.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
If he want to continue using the external amplifier then you'll want to get a receiver with pre-amp outputs. The 595 does not have them.

Nicholas A. Gallegos

Stunt Coordinator
Ryan:
I highly doubt that a 10-year old Yamaha power amp is going to have 5-channel pre-ins. At the budget Thomas is limited to, it makes more sense to get a good receiver that will replace both parts.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks