DAD vs DVD-A ???

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Tony Aguila, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

I was checking out the Alan Parsons Project's I Robot album and discovered that this is a DAD, not DVD-A. I'm not clear on the difference(s) but it sounds to me like the former is 2-channel 24/96 stereo.

My player/receiver setup will do DVD-Audio as well as 24/96 stereo. I'm curious to know if the signal from DADs go through the digital connection, or does it also require the multi-channel direct feed?

And to Alan Parsons fans out there, have you listened to this album (I Robot)? Is it worth the $30+ for the DAD disc? Will they be coming out with a DVD-A version?

2. HankM

HankM Second Unit

If your DVD player can pass 24/96 on the digital out and your receiver or preamp DAC's can handle 24/96 than yes. If your DVD player can not pass it on the digital out than you have to use the analog outputs. I know Pioneer, Sony & Denon allow for 24/96 digital outs. Toshiba & Panasonic do not allow this. I have 2 DAD's and I have to listen with my analog output on my Panny RP-91.

3. Tony Aguila

Tony Aguila Stunt Coordinator

Interesting. I have the Panny RP91 also, and my receiver is the Elite 36TX. But now I'm kinda confused. I don't have any DAD disc to try, but I do have several DVD-As, and whenever I play (Group 1) DVD-Audio without switching my receiver to multi-channel, it defaults to 24/96 stereo.

4. PatrickM

PatrickM Screenwriter

5. RicP

RicP Screenwriter