What's new

Dad sells son's PS2 as punishment. (1 Viewer)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Good idea, Jack, though I think bad things should be worth more negative points (i.e. good thing = 1 point; bad thing = -2 points).

Otherwise, wouldn't the kids strategically earn points just to be bad later yet still not hit "0"?

I have 3 points, so I can punch my sister in the face and still play Nintendo later! Yay! :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I think its great.Kids are so spoiled today. I remember my step dad taking stuff away all the time. The threat of having some of my comics ripped in half or loosing my Intellivision (for u oldtimers:) )was usually enough for me to behave.

My G/F rarely ever takes stuff from her Trolls to punish them. It pisses me off, but theyre her Trolls.

I was talking about this with a friend from work just the other day and he told me this story:

He said he was 14 when this happened.His father had spent the entire day cleaning out the garage in the backyard. My friend gets home and puts his filty dirtbike in the garage, tracking mud everywhere. His father goes and tells him "I worked all day to clean that garage, please go clean off ur bike and the dirt you tracked in there".He says ok Dad and doesnt do it.

The next day his father makes him watch as he pulls the bike out of the garage and pushes it off a 50 foot hill in the woods behind the house.

He also told me a great one about how his brother once said he hated and father and couldnt wait to move out. The brother came home to find his father throwing his shit out the window onto the front lawn.

:laugh:

Ryan Wishton

Screenwriter
Well, I can see the point (It's a good idea), but the whole life story for an auction is kind of lame.

He also got less than he could have from a lame description (who wants to own items a destructive child owned?) and a soap opera story. He could have gotten more money for a better laid out auction, some nice graphics, and a better picture.

Bidders are looking to purchase a product, not read a book. As a bidder myself, I want the specifics of the item. Not to hear someones life story. I get enough of that in everyday life. Dont need to read about it when buying a product and spending money. A descripion like this would make me pass up the item immediately. I wouldnt want to deal with a seller like this. If they complain about these things, they might complain about payment arrangements, shipping plans, and other things as well. You never know.

JonZ,

Just want to say glad I dont have to know you. I wouldnt want to be called a troll and 50 other names daily.

It's times like these that make me appreciate how good my step parents and real parents were to me. ;)

If you hate kids, shouldnt date women with kids. Now, if they are just monsterous, thats another story. But, you knew she had kids I assume before getting into the relationship. So no need to keep complaining. You knew or should have known what you were getting yourself into.

Some of these stories are fair, but a couple are just psychotic. Breaking items and ruining things. Just an exuse for the adults to act violently as well and they have a lame excuse to do so.

I sure wouldnt go breaking items worth hundreds of dollars to prove a point to anyone. Thats just dumb IMO.

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

You think there is an actual proper usage?! GTFOH!

Any-who-velio is perfect. I would never use it the way you and that Philip guy do. Just remember, every time I see (read) or hear it I jab a pencil in my face and run my head into a wall. It is the most vile thing ever created. Therapy has not helped in this case.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
Sure glad I don't have kids! My cat once chewed up the cord on my $50 Saturn joystick and I couldn't fix it and had to buy a new one though. Can't take anything away from him cuz he's so cute though :)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
And yet we wonder why a child would come back home 10 years later and shoot both parents dead.....

Punishing is one thing, but sometimes kids don't interpret these things as punishment, they interpret it as "evil parents" and try to settle the score in other ways. Too harsh a punishment can backfire on the parents.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit

Ooooookaaaayyy. whatever floats yer boat. :D

I bet someone is going to ask what that means and where it came from in the future. ;)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member

That's why it's so funny when they do post their life story though. There was another one a few months ago that somehow got forwarded around where some guy was selling a bunch of Beanie Babies that his ex-wife had forgotten to take with her when she left. The auction included lots of remarks about her and how she was cheating on him, and he said "I don't know how much these stupid things are worth or why anyone would want them, but whatever I get will be spent on tools from Home Depot, and beer!" I think he ended up getting around $1000 for them.

Jimi C

Screenwriter
I recently saw an Alienware laptop up for auction under similar circumstances.

btw.. isnt it funny how people will overpay for crap on Ebay when it comes with a good story?

I think the PS2's are down to $129 new.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
Ryan,
Thanks for judging me without knowing me(restraining not to say something that will get me banned).

I didnt come up with the Troll name, THEY DID. So take it up with them. I dont call them or anyone else names.

I wasnt complaining. While I may not agree,theyre her kids, so its her job to discipline them.I can say "Marc please do what ur mother asked" ut its not my place to discipline them. Its only my opinion shes too lenient on them (which I can and do voice to her -NOT to them).Believe me they know when beg enough theyll get what they want - every time.Shes a single mother and has spoiled them.

(Yes all children should be spoiled, theyre children, but not to the point where they know they can get away with murder without consequences.Theres a diference between spoling your child and having truly spoiled children)

I never said I hated kids. I said I think they get away with WAY to much today. Ive seen the way children are punished becuase I hear of things that happen at their schools and with other parents, and its ridiculous. My G/Fs friends kids walk all over them. I COULD (and would)NEVER behave the way I see them behave. I could think of a million examples of bad child behavior we hear about every day that just didnt happen when I was a kid.

Sean didnt go out and kill his parents after the bike incident,and it taught his a lesson about doing what he was told(as a matter of fact they have a great father/son relathionship)It wasnt the only instance of him not listening to his father.His father had had enough of him not doing what he was told(He told me he deliberately blew off is dad and watched TV instead) I repeated that story becuase we were talking about severe punishment given to children.And yes pushing ur sons motorbike down a hill is severe(and no he didnt break it), and I suppose were warped becase we both thought it was funny(and they laugh about it to this day)

And I dont see anything wrong with taking away the Anime channel,the PS2 or anything a kid might enjoy when they need to be disciplined.Ive had teachers destroy my property and behave worse when I was in school.

"Just want to say glad I dont have to know you."

Right back at ya, since you like to "assume" so much without knowing what the fuck your talking about.

Later!

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter

Full article (long and in-depth) here

Thedrunkensailor started a fad on eBay of concocting outlandish stories in order to gain internet infamy, in the hopes that it will lead to higher sales prices (to be clear, I am not accusing PS2 Dad of this, just noting the current fad) the latest of which being "wedding dress guy" who admitted to embellishing his story because he wasn't getting the bids he wanted.

Is the fad unethical? Maybe. But seeing as thedrunkensailor claimed to have persuaded 700 people to pay $1.60 each for only his promise to buy a beer or tools with it, he's a pretty smart guy.

BTW, though I'm not sure anyone in this thread could answer it, but, does anyone know what anywhovelio/N E whovelio means, or where it came from?

Chris

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Chris_Morris wrote:

Hey Zen, see what you started. ;)

anywhovelio is Zen's creation. I like to use N E who. Short for anywho. But the proper use is "any how." How this got started, I don't remember. :)

N E who back to our regularly scheduled program. :D

Zen Butler

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Zen K. Butler

My word!, how the hell did we get here? If that child came back 10 years later and did that, I'd say he's lacking a bit in the emotional intelligence area.
My extreme posts were "tongue in cheek" but I don't see anything wrong with restrictions when inappropriate behavior is an issue.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
And so I was awoken in the middle of the night by a large man, dresssed in a bunny costume and waving a large handgun at me.

"What are you doing in my house!? Just take what you want and leave!" I said.

"No, I'm not here for your stuff, old man. I've come to finish you off!" he said waving the gun around like it was a tennis racquet.

"Please just don't hurt me or the dog!" I cried.

"Thats just it" he said. "I'm here to get my revenge upon thee!"

"What are you talking about? I never hurt you!"

"Oh yes you did! You remember that cold winter night fifteen years ago! 'eat your peas!' eat your peas' 'EAT YOUR PEAS!' it haunts my dreams, makes me CRAZY! and now if I kill you the voices in my head will finally let me rest!"

"No!! Little Timmy, I'm sorry I made you eat the peas!"

OK, I'm done now...... :D

Leila Dougan

Screenwriter
If a 13 year old kid is daring enough to openly admit, with a bit of attitude it seems, that he drank his parent's alcohol and trashed the place, then perhaps the father didn't take away the PS2 soon enough.

Punishment is certainly necessary and fitting, but hardly effective when only used occasionally. Of course we don't know the parent's disciplining habits, but I'd really hope that consistency wouldn't produce the monster he's growing up to be.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

If you did, I didn't see it.
It's been discussed here before and IIRC, a lot of HTF members feel as I do about them. I'll admit I'm not fond them.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I love kids and spent many years coaching little league in fact, though we've yet to have our own. But I can assure you of this, kids CRAVE discipline. The teams that I was least able to crack down on or where I was most lenient ended up being not just the most rowdy but the least satisified at the end of the year.

It's not punishment they want but DIRECTION, and punishment as enforcement for boundries helps give them that.

Sure as a kid you love to fight against the authority but this is a natural part of growing up. A kid has it worse when there is no authority to fight against.

The worst mistake a parent can make, IMO, is to try and be friends with their child. The fact is that they are looking for the structure of life and a parent's unfortunate job is to be the jerk that maintains that structure. A kid doesn't go around thinking about how they want structure of course, but they feel a sense of security in knowing its there. It allows them to establish their own identity, which generally will involve trying to break the structure as I said.

Doesn't make you a bad person to provide it, and it sure as hell doesn't mean that they will come back to kill you later, as Garrett pointed out.

Now if only someone will put some structure in place on the whole Anywho thing, which was old and gray about 5 years ago I thought (and yet the new versions have a touch of the silica charm to them I'll admit). :)

And Ebay is about as bad as the market in Casablanca. I've bought many things via Ebay, but I considered each auction to be a potential lie until it was finished correctly. You can't believe everything you read in hard print, let alone in the dime a dozen blogs of Ebay posters. :D

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"I'll admit I'm not fond them".

I certainly dont want my own. I made up my mind about that a LONG time ago and my opinion hasnt and wont change.

But I certain dont "hate" children.My problem is with them is their behavior and how nowadays childen seem to be able to do things parents "in my day" never would have tolerated.Im not sure what the problem is - maybe its becuase todays parents were kids of divorce who got away with alot themselves. After my mothers second divorce, I had very little parental supervision. My mother was rarely home.

I have friends who have children that I adore becuase theyre great kids.

Zen,
They must have the idea his father behaved like that all time the time. Ive met him and hes the nicest guy in the world. Everyone has a breakpoint and I think both were cases of "straw that broke the camels back", not daily or normal behavior.

Anyway, if this kids father uses his PS2 to pay for the damages maybe the kid will actually learn a lesson from it.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
oh, my problem isn't with the kids, it's the parents that don't teach them manners. We should probably steer back on course, I see a lock in the not so distant future if we don't :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks