Dad needs some decent basement speakers......

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveSpoon, Apr 26, 2002.

1. SteveSpoon

SteveSpoon Stunt Coordinator

can you point me at a couple different speakers to consider? Would like to stay under 200 bucks per pair. Will be driving them with a receiver (have to find one of those yet, too!!) in the 50 watts per channel category (such as a Yamaha RX-385). Since he isn't touching his receiver upstairs (Yamaha RV-901), he just needs a good basic system for downstairs.

I am so unorganized. Looking for speakers he can mount on the wall (ie, not too heavy). Which speakers should we be looking at? I've got a J&R catalog in front of me, and the only speakers which look like we could all live with would be the JBL N28 or Yamaha NS-6390. Like I said, he isn't interested in putting on a concert, just looking for some nice sounding speakers. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve

2. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

3. Bob Sheen

Bob Sheen Stunt Coordinator

4. SteveSpoon

What about those BIC DV62si bookshelf speakers? I could also give Dad my Jensen JS-1000-A 12 inch subwoofer to tighten (tighten is used rather loosely here!!) the bass up.......or wouldn't you wish this system on your worst enemy??:p) I know what some of you are going to say....hey, he's your Dad, get him something decent!!

Thanks.

Steve

5. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

6. SteveSpoon

What is the difference between the JBL S26 and JBL N28 speakers....they look like their pretty much the same thing. What am I missing? Thanks.

Steve

7. Phil Iturralde

Phil Iturralde Screenwriter

Both Series, ... the N-Series & S-Series, were designed using technologies employed in JBL's TEC Award Professional LSR Recording Studio Monitors.
    JBL Tagline:
    1) The Northridge Series sets a new price/performance benchmark and makes high-quality JBL sound more affordable than ever before.
    2) Studio Series loudspeakers utilize many of the same leading-edge testing and design technologies included in our Professional Series LSR Linear Spatial Reference studio monitors, and allow home listeners to enjoy the same neutral, uncolored, detailed and spatially accurate sound quality heard by the pros.
    So, the main difference is the target market, speaker cabinet and drivers used. Each Series is timbre-matched, and the key is the tweeter.
    N-Series (ALL): 3/4" Titanium-laminate dome with EOS™ waveguide
    S-Series (ALL): 1" Pure-titanium dome with EOS™ waveguide
    FYI: Pulled specifically from the JBL TEC Award Winning LSR PRO Monitor Series = EOS™ waveguide & the S-Series uses the same size tweeter.
    Phil

8. SteveSpoon

Sounds to me like he would be happy with either series. Heck, after a few beers (his basement is CENTERED around the bar!!!) probably wouldn't matter what speakers he had!!! Just kidding.

Thanks for all the good info on the JBL speakers. Lots of homework to do yet, but you guys have been very helpful. Thanks a lot.

Steve

9. Frank Zimkas

Frank Zimkas Supporting Actor

Give the Polk Audio RT25i a listen.

10. Doug Drake

Doug Drake Stunt Coordinator

11. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer