What's new

DACs: RP91 vs. Denon 3300 (1 Viewer)

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
This one has me wondering a bit these days. I've been hearing some comments that the RP91's DACs outperform some receiver's DACs.
I've compared the two, and when adjusted for volume its close, but I still give the edge to the Denon.
Has anyone else compared?
The volume thing has me confused, because at the same level, say -10dbs, the 3300 clearly is louder and packs more punch. If I leave the Denon at -10dbs for the digital input, and move up the 6 ch. in volume to say -5dbs, its more even.
Its not a matter of volume, either, its fuller sound. I might understand if the 91 produced a clearer image or soundfield at lower volumes, but I don't think that is happening.
Can I attribute this to running another set of cables (analog), that is deteriorating my signal, or could it be my regular ole Radio Shack cables that is the "problem"?
Its clear that the digital signal is the most "direct", but I just wonder how others can say that the sound is better with the 91 doing the decoding.
I would think that the newer (2+ years) decoders in the 91 would give the Denon a run for its money. The 91's decoders handle DVD-A for christ's sake. :)
I just thought that with the overall performance of the 91 in the audio department (redbook cd's, e.g.), that it would be more of a closer race in the DD decoding department.
Cables anyone?
As usual, thanks for any input.
Scott

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Scott while cables used to connect the Panny to the Denon will affect the sound I prefer my Denon 3300's DAC's to those in my Panny A320...that said my Link DAC kills both of them so it was well worth the $175 price tag :)
------------------
http://www.attcanada.ca/~itisi

Scott O'Keeffe

Stunt Coordinator
Yah, its not too surprising I/we prefer the Denon, but I thought it'd be a little closer. Maybe DVD-A just tricks me into thinking the decoders in the 91 are better.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks