1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

? dac

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by DarrinH, Aug 13, 2001.

1. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

I know this pertains to audio, but I am clueless other than that. I know that DVD players and receivers have them but can someone explain what this is and how it works?
    Also, does your DVD player have to be DTS capable if your receiver can decode the DTS signal? What I mean is that if I have a DVD player output DTS through its digital connection even though its not labeled DTS (but is labelled Dolby Digital) to a receiver that is DTS will I hear DTS sound or not?
    Currently I am still running a Dolby Pro-Logic receiver.
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "10,000 for me by-myself. For that you get the head, the tail...the whole damn thing."

2. RicP

RicP Screenwriter

DAC stands for Digital to Analog Converter.
    A DAC takes the 0's and 1's from the digital source (CD, MD, etc) and converts them to an analog wave form that can be amplified and produced by the speakers.
    The mathematical algorithms to do this conversion are getting better all the time, so there are always new DAC's that sound better than older ones.
    Your DVD player needs to be DTS capable to pass a DTS Signal. It SHOULD display the DTS logo on its face, but it may not. MOST DVD players these days are capable of passing a DTS signal through the digital connections. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.ricperrott.com
    Ric Perrott

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

4. DarrinH

DarrinH Second Unit

OK, my player is a Sony DVP-S300, I bought it in 1998 so I guess it only has Dolby Digital. So I will have to get a new player in order to take advantage of DTS once I get a new receiver here soon.
    ------------------
    The EC
    The Entertainment Cave
    "10,000 for me by-myself. For that you get the head, the tail...the whole damn thing."

5. JohanK

JohanK Second Unit

Darrin, I have the Sony 300 and, as you stated, it won't output the DTS bitstream. [​IMG] It does play CD-Rs though. [​IMG]
    ------------------
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/bbs/equipment/28687.html
    [​IMG]