What's new

DA5ES vs. DA3ES (1 Viewer)

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Which one would you choose? I have a Newcastle AM-9080 amp so, removing the amplifier section from the equation, is the extra cost of the 5ES justified? What are main feature differences of the two?

Chad P

Auditioning
You can go to Crutchfield.com and compare the 2 side-by-side. I tried to get the link for you but it did not work. Just go to:

Shop » Receivers, Speakers, Home A/V » Receivers & Separates » Home Theater Receivers

and check the boxes beside the 2 receivers, and click "Compare".

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian, I once asked for opinions from people who had compared the 'DA3ES and 'DA5ES and got very little feedback. It seems that most people on this board have gone with the 'DA5ES since it offers a lot of nice features. The feedback I did get said that the two receivers are the same soundwise. If you have a Tweeter store in your area, you might want to head over there and compare the two. As Chad said, Crutchfield's web site is a good place to compare the two receivers "on paper". Links to the receivers are provided below.
'DA3ES:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...TRD3ES&o=m&a=0
'DA5ES:
http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S...TRD5ES&o=m&a=0

Brian AM

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys, basically it looks like the sound fields, processing formats, and the remote are the main differences.... Wow... the DA3ES must be a fantastic bargain!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Brian, the 'DA5ES also has a detachable power cord and an RS-232 port. There are a few other differences as well. I have a Sony STR-V444ES receiver (last year's model) that is in the shop because it got fried in a storm. If it cannot be repaired, I will probably replace it with the 'DA3ES or 'DA5ES. I like the 'DA5ES since it has all the bells and whistles (6.1, detachable power cord, RS-232 port, etc.). The 'DA5ES could be a better choice over the long haul. However, I honestly can't see myself having a need for those bells and whistles. My 'V444ES lacks those features, and I don't find myself wishing I had them. The 'DA3ES would suit me just fine, and for $600 or less by mail, it would probably be the right choice for me. I could probably get a few years out of the 'DA3ES (unless it too were fried in a storm), and then I could replace it with something that had the features of the 'DA5ES and then some.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Which one would you choose?
I'd get the 5. The 3 doesn't give you Pro Logic II. While there is a debate constantly between those that like / don't like PL II, I'd personally never buy another receiver without this option. I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread - well, that might be taking it a little too far.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Wayne,
As a fan of pure, unadulterated stereo, I think you have taken it too far. ;) Besides, I still haven't seen anything better than sliced bread. Sliced bread has certainly improved my quality of life. :D
Chip,
The detachable power cord on the 'DA5ES is a nice option. However, given that I have a mid-fi surround-sound speaker set-up and a mid-fi DVD player with a fixed power cord at present, I don't think the detachable power cord on the 'DA5ES would do much for me. As you know, stereo is more my bag. :) Then again, my stereo amps don't have detachable power cords. :frowning: That's O.K., they sound great. :) I feel better. :crazy:

Chad P

Auditioning
I ordered the DA3ES yesterday. I couldn't justify the extra expense for the DA5ES. 6.1 is not that important to me, so the choice was easy for me. I got it for $530 from one of the shops on yahoo.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Chad, $530 is an excellent price for the 'DA3ES. As I recall, Oade Bros., an authorized dealer, is selling the 'DA3ES for around that price. Where did you order it from?

Chad P

Auditioning
I ordered it from Home Theater Advantage off of the yahoo store. They had a very high customer satisfaction rating. There is one as low as $497, but the store was not rated. I will see next week if I agree with their high rating!
Home Theater Advantage

Bryan G

Grip
I myself bought a DA3ES about a month ago from Link Removed It was $595 plus $25 shipping. Shipping was less because I also bought some speakers. I was not interested in the detachable power cord or the rs232 port. Since the sound was going to be the same, I opted for the cheaper unit. Always looking for a bargan.
I have my system balanced using Avia and my SPL. I have to say we are impressed. Movies are so clear and we are hearing things not heard before with the previous speakers and receiver. This was a true upgrade for us. It took awhile to get the new Energy take 5 speakers installed. So I ran my old speakers (RCA) HT in a box and there was a big improvement just with old speakers. If you planning on running speakers to a 2nd room. Search the forum for DA3ES 2nd Room so you get the way to do it. The manual does suck, really really bad for how to do that.
You can't go wrong either way. Both receivers will sound great. If you need the extra features, then go for it. It is all good. You won't be disappointed.
Bryan

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Bryan, thanks for the mini-review. Despite the extra features of the 'DA5ES, I am still leaning towards the 'DA3ES. It has everything I need.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Craig,the power cord thing is snake-oil to some here,But a well made power cord has a noticeable advantage over the thin 18awg coards most come with.

I myself have the Sony DA-5ES & made a DIY power cable for it & noticed a big improvement at reference levels.Bass was tighter,midrange was cleaner,& treble was less harsh everything just sounded much smother & clear.

Like I said some people don't believe in the whole power cord thing but I know what I hear & I truly am a believer.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Do both units have the same remote? just wondering. The main difference in the 555es and the 444es was the touchscreen remote for the 555es. I couldn't see spending the extra cash for that option, so I bought the 444es. I've been very happy with this receiver.

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Delray,if I remember right the 3ES dose not have the LCD remote that the 5ES has.It comes with a regular IR remote where as the 5ES has one LCD remote & one regular remote for a second room.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
DelRay, I was in the same position as you when I was shopping for a new receiver in September 2000. The touchscreen remote supplied with the 'V555ES was not worth the extra $200 or so, so I went with the 'V444ES. Besides, the ES receiver was replacing a Sony 'DB930, which had a very similar LCD remote as the 'V444ES. I like that remote.

The 'DA5ES comes with an LCD remote that is very much like the one that came with the 'V444ES (not a touchscreen). The 'DA3ES comes with a more traditional remote with a multitude of buttons. I might be replacing my 'V444ES soon and am thinking that the 'DA3ES is the better choice for my needs. I wouldn't use the extra features of the 'DA5ES, but I do like that remote.

Brett Miles

Stunt Coordinator
Keith, you could take the extra money saved on the 3es and blow it on a Pronto or something, which would still be potentially useable in the future if you upgraded the receiver again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks