What's new

DA5ES...sub level by input? (1 Viewer)

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Is there a way to set the sub/lfe level different for different inputs on the DA5ES. I would like to watch TV and DVD's with the sub/lfe a little hotter than I like to listen to for music. I know I can manually do it, but it would be allot nicer if I could set it by input source...with the TV and DVD inputs being about 2 dB higher than the CD input. Thanks.

Dan Joy

Supporting Actor
Joe, I have been unsuccessful at that. I think the only memory retainment(is that a word?) on inputs it the sound-fields(AFD vs DPLII etc..). I would like to use DPLII MOVIE for local tv and DPLII MUSIC for some satellite viewing but it seems that once you select one and enter it, the other inputs use it.
Good luck. The only other suggestion would be to program micros on your remote.

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
How about this...the LFE channel has an output adjustment. I could set that at +2 dB. I listen to music in 2 channel (plus sub), so that shouldn't affect CD music, as there is no LFE output. Now when watching DD or DTS sources, the LFE should be 2 dB hotter. Or alternatively, the receiver also has a Sub level out. I could turn that down to -2 and re-calibrate the sub. The LFE would then also be 2 dB hotter (relative to the rest of the speakers and sub). Sound reasonable?

Joe Barefoot

Stunt Coordinator
Sorry to keep answering my own posts, but I'm hoping some will learn with me. When I first calibrated my SVS, I set my sub level to -10 dB on the receiver and then adjusted the volume on the SVS to be about 2 dB hot as compared to my other speakers. That seemed to help my LFE channel on DVD's allot. I eventually turned the sub out back to 0 as my receiver wasn't triggering my SVS amp on at -10. My LFE effects seemed to loose some drama. Now as I learn more, I think I know what happened.

It's all a relative thing. Since the sub and LFE have separate adjustments, what I did by calibrating to the sub was to relatively increase my LFE output by 10 dB. Clear as mud?

Now for the question. Is that too much of a difference between the sub and the LFE channel? Any thoughts on setting it up this way?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.