DA4ES video switches off when audio only sources are selected?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Smith, Jan 2, 2003.

1. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

Does anyone know how to keep the video working on a DA4ES when switching to an audio only source?

Sometimes I like to listen to a radio broadcast of a football or basketball game while watching it on TV, but every time I switch to tuner the video goes blank.

There’s a menu item that I can switch to either “video always on” or “auto off”. I would think that this is it, but it doesn’t matter what I have that set at, it still shuts off.

Thanks in advance! David

2. David_Rivshin

David_Rivshin Second Unit

I'm assuming you're running your video signal from a DBS or cable box through the receiver and then to your TV.
    If that's the case then yes, when you switch to any source on the receiver the video will come from that source. In the case of the tuner there is no video, so it has nothing to pipe through. I do not believe the Sony receivers have the ability to split switch the audio/video separately (at least not with analog sources).
    As a workaround I would suggest connecting the video direction from the DBS/cable box directly to the TV instead of, or in addition to, through the receiver.

If you give the exact models of equipment (STB and TV) that you're using then we might be able to give more specific advice in terms of workarounds.

Best of Luck,
    -- Dave

PS. That option you found in the DA4ES setup relates to the video switching circuitry. If you select an audio-only source then the video circuitry will not only go unused, but actually shut down. I personally would prefer to have it "auto-off" so as to save power and decrease interference. But if it's shut down it may take it a second to turn back on when you switch back to a video-enabled source, so there is a trade-off involved. Either way you won't see a picture...

3. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

David,

Thanks for the reply!

Actually, I can definitely work around it by going to a different input straight to my TV, but I was hoping not to have to do this.

I love this receiver, but I really don't like this part of it. Every receiver that I've had in the past will just pass along the last video that you were on when you go to an audio only input.

Oh well, thanks again! David

4. Diallo B

Diallo B Screenwriter

I currently have a 4es as well and I absolutely hate the fact that the video shuts down when I switch to an audio source. My old Sony STR-DE945 would operate a video source with a seperate audio source and it was the best when watching games/playing PS2 and wanting to listen to a cd, radio or something else.

I have tried all of the options on the 4es to get that option but it seems that it does not exist on this receiver.

DJB

5. Craig_Kg

Craig_Kg Supporting Actor

[rant]This also happens with my 2ES (equivalent). My old STR-DE675 was better in this respect![/rant]

6. Roy Wallace

Roy Wallace Stunt Coordinator

This is an interesting point to consider when shopping for a new receiver.
    I am slowly planning what I should do to replace my ancient Sony STR-D2020.
    This unit passes the last used video signal through the monitor out regardless of audio source selection as well, and I just assumed all recievers did this.
    Is this defeating of the video a common thing with new receivers, or are the new Sonys the exception?
    So far my short list includes: Onkyo TX-SR700, JVC RX-8020VBK, Sony STRDA2ES, Denon AVR-1803, as well as several others. ( I have not factored cost into my plans just yet...)
    I wonder if any of these do the same thing, and if that should be a concern for me...
    It just figures, you go searching for answers to questions, and find one answer and TWO MORE QUESTIONS [​IMG]
    Roy