DA4ES Flash Upgrade Report

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSP, Feb 11, 2003.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Hi Guys, thought I'd share my experience with the upgrade yesterday of my 4ES. Thanks to Sven and Alex for making it easy on the rest of us. I followed the instructions and the upgrade itself went fine. The 4ES displayed "Memory Clearing" in the end and a mesage box on my laptop said "Memory Updated" or something like that.
    The 4ES was reset to it's factory default settings so I went back and recalibrated the speaker settings, etc.
    What does the upgrade do or fix? Basically nothing. Well it may have fixed things like multi room, etc. but nothing obvious.
    It does not remember DPL settings for different inputs, so if I choose DPL-II music for CD and then go to DVD and choose DTS-Cinema Neo and later when I switch back to CD, I am still on DTS-Neo Cinema.
    Cinema Modes are still in DPL domain and the receiver has not changed in any way with regards to DSP modes, etc.
    Even EQ setings are not unique to inputs selected. I have 2 distinct EQs I use. EQ1 is for music and EQ2 is for movies. If I have selected EQ1 for CD then EQ1 carries over for all the inputs. I have to physically change the EQ to EQ2 when watching a DVD and change it back to EQ1 when listening to a CD.
    So in short, I have not seen any benefits for myself currently but the upgrade went smoothly. Hope this will help those with he DA4ES in deciding whether to upgrade or not.

2. Alex Dydula

Alex Dydula Stunt Coordinator

Nick,

I just set the tuner for Cinema EX A mode, then set the dvd to Cinema EX B mode and then cd to Neo Cinema mode, I rotated the selector and all three modes had the same decode mode associated with it...it seems to remember what I set it to, matter of fact it even remembers the volume setting too. Sometimes I have startled myself when I switched modes!!

Alex

3. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Alex, the receiver does remember the settings for DSPs and Surround modes and this was the case even before the upgrade. What the reeciever cannot do is remember the individual "Surround" settings, i.e. DPL-II Music, DTS-Neo Cinema, etc.

4. Alex Dydula

Nick,

Your absolutely correct! This does not seem to be a really big deal, maybe to some...but I dont play much with the setting, I listen to 2ch stereo and sometimes use the Cinmea ex modes , I like the B mode best, and the A/B concert hall modes...

In the movie mode I almost always use the autodecode and DTS or DTS-ES if its there..without any other stuff. So its not a big thing for me...

But for 2ch stuff if you want to assign or play with these modes without getting up and having to press the button on the receiver...I guess that could be a hinderance.

Alex

5. Zack_R

Zack_R Stunt Coordinator

6. Alex Dydula

Zack,

I use the Cinema Modes when I think the dolby digital 5.1 'stinks' seems to add more 'zip' into the movie soundtrack...some of these movies have a lot to be desired and the Cinema mode helps out here at least to my 'ear' another subjective thing...

Alex

7. terence

terence Supporting Actor

I use Cinema EX C LOVE IT! Can't live w/ out it, i use it on all my movies & concerts, but that's just me.

8. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

9. terence

terence Supporting Actor

10. Brad Newton

Brad Newton Second Unit

11. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

12. Juan_R

Juan_R Supporting Actor

Not remembering the individual setting in each input was the biggest problem I had with Sony receivers. I don't use the same sound field for audio and video.