DA4ES equilizer setting help

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Mark Hedges, Jun 23, 2003.

1. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

I was wondering if I could get some suggestions with setting the equilizer up on my Sony DA4ES. The capabilities are so extensive I don't know where to begin!

The reason I want to play with it is that my room is set up kind of lopsided, resulting in one of my mains being basically in a corner and the other close to the wall but without any corners near by. Are there seperate EQ settings for the left and right?

Thanks!

Mark

2. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Mark, This is probley not the best advice or what you are looking to hear, but the best thing to do is just set down when you have time & play around with it for awhile. I have the DA5ES & I found the best way for me was to play a few of my favorite songs in 2ch & just fool around with it for a couple of hours until I was happy with how it sounded. I don't know if yours has it or not but mine has, if I rember right 4 EQ pre sets so you can get nailed out pretty good thin go into another pre set & do it the same to start then tweak it around a little & compare the two or more. Its really hard to give you a starting point just for the reason of your room layout, speaker set up, personal taste ext will be different from others.
    Grab a comfy chair a cold one & start playing, I had quite a bit of fun with mine doing just this. Best of luck

3. Mark Hedges

Mark Hedges Second Unit

Your telling me I have to do it the hard way? :)

Your suggestion is probably the best way, of course. It's the engineer in me that wants to see a well defined quantitative procedure for everthing. I have found that I have to let my engineer side go in the audio world!

Mark

4. Joe Tilley

Joe Tilley Supporting Actor

Ya, sometimes it just sucks. But hay it (can) be fun. Acutely sometimes find myself messing around with the EQ, along with other setting just for the hell of it just to see if there was something that may sound better that I didn't find or rather hear before.

5. Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Wayne
    Mark,

Perhaps this link will be of help. I wrote it recently in response to someone wanting to know how to use the equalizer on their Sony receiver.

Regards,
    Wayne A. Pflughaupt