DA4ES- EQ settings are messing up the calibrations! Help!!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSP, Dec 3, 2002.

1. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I finally got around to setting and calibrating my speakers perfectly and was enjoying my movies until I went and started playing with the EQ. After I adjusted the EQ to my satisfaction I did however notice a lack of balance in the soudfield.
    Upon checking with an SPL meter I found that the calibration was totally gone and that's what was causing the imbalance. The manual says somewhere to turn the EQ "Off" to calibrate the speakers which I did. What's more, every EQ preset requires me to recalibrate the speakers to 75dbs again, including the sub.
    I like to listen to music without the EQ but need the EQ for movies and would hate to go back and forth to adjust speaker levels.
    What am I doing wrong?

2. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Nobody has this problem?

3. MatthewK

MatthewK Stunt Coordinator

Not sure what your doing wrong as I don't have the same needs as you do.... but want to encourage you to be a little more patient.
    People are not monitoring this forum 24 hours a day and do so in their free time. If you need someone to respond ASAP, usually it is better to contact a paid service and wait on their endless phone que! [​IMG]
    Seriously, there are probably people who know what you are asking on the board but give them time to see the message. If you don't get a response in a couple days perhaps then "bump" the message up.
    Matthew

4. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks Mathew, got a bit frustrated there. I know someone will set this straight [​IMG]

5. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

BUMP!

6. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

I think that the solution is as simple as to turn the EQ on before calibrating. I assume that the EQ is being used to help to match the tonal characteristics of the different speakers around the room. In any case, it should be 'on' when calibrating speaker levels, since it will be 'on' when watching movies!
    I have no idea why the manual would suggest turning the EQ off before calibrating. You should however probably disable the 'surround eq', that is, the bass/treble controls available in each different soundfield. Then tweak the EQ to match up all of your speakers, then calibrate speaker levels, then adjust the tone controls to your liking. With those tone controls ("surround EQ"), all speakers should be affected equally.
    I would also suggest setting the crossover for each speaker to exactly the same setting prior to calibrating, then, if necessary, adjusting it according to the capabilities of each individual set of speakers. This is because the pink noise used to calibrate is bass-heavy and the extra bass provided by a larger speaker and/or one with a lower crossover point will throw the calibration out of whack due to the extra bass which adds to the SPL meter's reading. I would suggest using something fairly high, like 120 Hz, to calibrate, then adjust the crossover. Some people insist on using the same crossover point for all speakers. YMMV.

7. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

Thanks Aaron for the reply. I did calibrate the speakers also with the EQ on as I watch movies with the EQ on but turn it off for music (DPL-II & DTS-Neo) and it goes haywire. Anyway, I guess there is no real solution to this as most all receivers must be doing this once you adjust the Tone controls.

8. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

Nick,
    Why do you turn off the EQ for music?

9. NickSP

NickSP Supporting Actor

I think turning off the EQ gives a much flatter response and for some reason, I haven't messed up with the EQ while playing music as I very much liked the sound right out of the box.