DA4ES 7.1 Decoding / Upgrade Comments & Questions...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Smith, Feb 21, 2003.

1. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

OK,

I have recently skeptically decided to upgrade my Home Theater to 7.1. I’ve had the DA4ES for a while, but I just really didn’t think it would be worth it to add those back surrounds, especially since my room is only about 12’ wide and set up nicely with the side surrounds directly to the side.

I had a pair of Mini-Monitor’s that were bedroom speakers, but I decided to run the wires and put the Mini’s behind the couch in the back of my 18’ X 12’ HT room.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I was VERY pleasantly surprised by the results after listening to a variety of movies, including Gladiator (DTS-ES Discrete). It sounds truly AWESOME!

I am a little confused by the decoding and surround back options though and would love to understand it a little better. After the back speaker install and turning them on in the menu of my DA4ES, I played with the 3 surround back modes during different movies and here’s what I found:

Auto, Matrix, Off…

DTS-ES Discrete would play in the Auto mode and Matrix mode, but I’m not sure if it was truly playing discrete in the matrix mode or not. If I went to the display, it showed 3/3.1 regardless of the 3 modes, but it didn’t play at all if the mode was set to off, plus the SB icon on the receiver front panel turned off.

All of the EX modes would play in Matrix, but not at all in Auto or off. The display reads the same if it’s an EX title or not, 3/2.1, and the SB icon on the receiver front panel only turned on in Matrix.

Regular 5.1 NON-EX titles seemed to play exactly the same as EX titles.

My non-digital sources (Cable) didn’t play anything in the back surrounds at all, regardless of the mode, and the SB icon on the receiver front panel was off regardless.

OK, after wondering exactly what was going on, I logged into HTF looking for answers. What I found out was that my DA4 falls into the serial numbers that need the flash upgrade. Well, I bought a cable and downloaded and installed the upgrade last night.

Now, since the upgrade, everything works great, but I’m not sure if it’s how they intended it to work.

Now the 3 surround back modes seem to do nothing at all! It doesn’t matter what mode it’s in, it seems to decode things properly!

Even if it’s set to off, it still decodes the back channels, plus it even decodes them with an analog signal now also, so the back channels work with my cable, Dish, VCR, etc.

I know this is a lot of info, but has anyone else experienced anything similar to this?

Thanks! David

2. David Smith

David Smith Stunt Coordinator

One more thing I found out at lunch.

After the update, Zone 2 now works without the receiver being turned on!

3. Seth_L

Seth_L Screenwriter

Most EX DVDs are not flagged as EX DVDs. As such you must manually turn it on. Since EX is a matrixed format there's no loss by forcing it on manually.

For DTS-ES discs you should leave it to auto. Some are 3/3 others are 3/2+1. When you force it on you're forcing the DA4ES to use the Sony DMCD decoder (which is a matrix decoder) rather than the DTS decoder which can be discrete or matrix.

Seth