What's new

DA4ES.... 2way? (1 Viewer)

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

I have searched the forum, and have found a couple of threads that indicate that the 4ES is 2way capable, but that statement seems to be followed with the "This think it is, but not 100% sure).

Can anybody tell me for 100% sure that the DA4ES is compatable with sony 2way remotes (TP50X, etc)...

I have a TP504, and really hope it will work with the DA4ES. I love this remote.... Granted it has some issues, but I love it..

Kim oB.

DavidVT

Stunt Coordinator
Just a hint,

DO NOT buy a receiver based soley on the fact that it works with a certain remote....

Bad karma

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
DavidVT:

Agreed.

I have wanted the DA4ES for a while though, so it really has nothing to do with the remote. I just see the 2way as a added bonus. I personally think the DA4ES is a fantastic receiver....

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
Can anybody tell me for 100% sure that the DA4ES is compatable with sony 2way remotes (TP50X, etc)...

I have a TP504, and really hope it will work with the DA4ES. I love this remote.... Granted it has some issues, but I love it..
Yes it does work, and I am 100% sure. I have a 4ES and I use an RM-TP504 with it.

There are quirks with the combination. Besides the limitations of the '504 itself, of which I am sure you are aware, there are other limitations due to the receiver. The remote was designed for the STR-V555ES, and due to some slight feature differences, certain things do not work well. The EQ editting doesn't work right because the 555 had a 'mid' band for the surrounds, but the 4ES does not. The list of soundfields available on the 4ES is different (and shorter, BTW) than the 555, so soundfield selection doesn't work quite right. Probably related to the soundfield list being different, setting Surround parameters like effect level, room size, etc., doesn't work. Setting speaker levels doesn't work for surround speakers because the 4ES has separate level settings for each speaker, while the 555 used one setting plus a balance control. The 555 doesn't have surround back speaker outputs, so obviously no level control there. Most of the setup stuff (speaker sizes and distances) works fine, as does picking the EQ setting (1 through 5 or off). You do not get the "custom" screen, which you can pick input mode or audio split, etc.. You can of course get around all of these limitations by learning the cursor keys, enter key, and menu key from the 4ES' remote into the '504. You can then use those keys to setup the receiver in the same manner as you would using the original remote.

You will be happy to know that the disc title and track name downloads work fine (when you have a Sony CD/MD unit). The remote will store disc names for all of your discs, if you have a Sony mega changer. These features are why I use the remote.

Kimo Bonnelycke

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron,

thx for the info. I was expecting there to be some quirks, but I will live through them. One of the main reasons I like the TP504, is everybody just thinks it is the coolest thing. People liked the old AV1000 I had too, but the TP504 seems to have more "WOW" appeal :)...

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Kimo-

The 'DA4ES is definitely two-way capable; it works fine with my TP-RM501 (from an old 'DA50ES).

I'm not sure what features you're interested in using via the two-way remote, but if it's to control a megachanger, you're much better off using a Philips Pronto (I know, you've heard that before) and a free utility called SuperNudelist. I was concerned when I first got my Pronto that I wouldn't be able to control my Sony CD megachanger as easily as I had with the two-way remote, but the SuperNudelist utility is phenomenal. Newer two-way remotes might be better, but my old RM-TP501 was a real POS, and I even had it upgraded by Sony! For me, I switched to the Pronto and haven't missed the Sony remote's two-way capability in the least.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
I'm not sure what features you're interested in using via the two-way remote, but if it's to control a megachanger, you're much better off using a Philips Pronto... and a free utility called SuperNudelist
Greg,

The RM-TP504 is much, much better than the '501. First of all, it has learning capability. Second, the batteries actually last a decent amount of time; I replaced my first set after about 4 or 5 months. It even has a DC input jack. Third, you can see the screen - the backlight is bright enough (not glaringly bright, but bright enough), and the screen is now a higher-contrast black-on-white rather than blue-on-white type. And it is Control-A1II capable, so it works with over-200 disc changers.

I had never heard of SuperNudelist, but it looks like just the ticket for Pronto users. I think that I would miss the automatic update of this remote when a new disc is inserted, and I buy music at about 3 to 5 albums a month, so that is fairly often. Also, I copy all of my CDs onto CD-Rs, along with CD-Text information. This way, the 2-way remote will display song titles in addition to the disc name. All SACDs have CD-Text on them, and a few CDs do too.

Greg Schwabacher

Stunt Coordinator
Aaron-

With the Sony remotes, I was never fond of the clumsy way in which you had to scroll through the list of CD titles in order to access the disc you wanted. With the Pronto/SuperNudelist you're given a alphabetic keypad and you touch the first letter of the disc you want and you're taken directly to a screen that displays all of the discs that begin with that letter. However, as you've pointed out, you do have to enter all of the disc information manual, although the user interface makes that very easy. The SuperNudelist utility allows the Pronto to handle track titles, but, again, the Pronto won't get updated automatically.

Of course, the Pronto allows you unlimited flexibility; unlike the Sony remote I have, the Pronto can actually completely replace all of my other remotes. I always found that the Sony lacked some function that necessitated keeping the "real" remotes around. Plus, custom macros are awesome! Among other things, I've got my Pronto set up so that my wife can touch one button and the remote automatically powers up my projector and switches it to the correct input, switches on my DVD player, switches on my receiver to the correct input and surround mode, and powers off all of my other, unnecessary equipment). But, you already knew that. :) And I almost forgot...you can download specific channel buttons (with icons) for each of your satellite or cable channels -- no more remembering that channel 501 is HBO! The Pronto's one major drawback is that it's a complete bear to set up initially...it took me 24 hours over three days to get it working like I wanted the first time around. But now, updates are a snap. Different strokes for different folks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Peteo
Recent bookmarks