DA4ES.... 2way?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers' started by Kimo Bonnelycke, May 25, 2003.

1. Kimo Bonnelycke

Kimo Bonnelycke Stunt Coordinator

Hello All,

I have searched the forum, and have found a couple of threads that indicate that the 4ES is 2way capable, but that statement seems to be followed with the "This think it is, but not 100% sure).

Can anybody tell me for 100% sure that the DA4ES is compatable with sony 2way remotes (TP50X, etc)...

I have a TP504, and really hope it will work with the DA4ES. I love this remote.... Granted it has some issues, but I love it..

Kim oB.

2. DavidVT

DavidVT Stunt Coordinator

Just a hint,

DO NOT buy a receiver based soley on the fact that it works with a certain remote....

Bad karma

3. Kimo Bonnelycke

DavidVT:

Agreed.

I have wanted the DA4ES for a while though, so it really has nothing to do with the remote. I just see the 2way as a added bonus. I personally think the DA4ES is a fantastic receiver....

4. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

5. Kimo Bonnelycke

Aaron,

thx for the info. I was expecting there to be some quirks, but I will live through them. One of the main reasons I like the TP504, is everybody just thinks it is the coolest thing. People liked the old AV1000 I had too, but the TP504 seems to have more "WOW" appeal [​IMG]...

6. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

Kimo-

The 'DA4ES is definitely two-way capable; it works fine with my TP-RM501 (from an old 'DA50ES).

I'm not sure what features you're interested in using via the two-way remote, but if it's to control a megachanger, you're much better off using a Philips Pronto (I know, you've heard that before) and a free utility called SuperNudelist. I was concerned when I first got my Pronto that I wouldn't be able to control my Sony CD megachanger as easily as I had with the two-way remote, but the SuperNudelist utility is phenomenal. Newer two-way remotes might be better, but my old RM-TP501 was a real POS, and I even had it upgraded by Sony! For me, I switched to the Pronto and haven't missed the Sony remote's two-way capability in the least.

7. AaronBatiuk

AaronBatiuk Second Unit

8. Greg Schwabacher

Greg Schwabacher Stunt Coordinator

Aaron-

With the Sony remotes, I was never fond of the clumsy way in which you had to scroll through the list of CD titles in order to access the disc you wanted. With the Pronto/SuperNudelist you're given a alphabetic keypad and you touch the first letter of the disc you want and you're taken directly to a screen that displays all of the discs that begin with that letter. However, as you've pointed out, you do have to enter all of the disc information manual, although the user interface makes that very easy. The SuperNudelist utility allows the Pronto to handle track titles, but, again, the Pronto won't get updated automatically.

Of course, the Pronto allows you unlimited flexibility; unlike the Sony remote I have, the Pronto can actually completely replace all of my other remotes. I always found that the Sony lacked some function that necessitated keeping the "real" remotes around. Plus, custom macros are awesome! Among other things, I've got my Pronto set up so that my wife can touch one button and the remote automatically powers up my projector and switches it to the correct input, switches on my DVD player, switches on my receiver to the correct input and surround mode, and powers off all of my other, unnecessary equipment). But, you already knew that. [​IMG] And I almost forgot...you can download specific channel buttons (with icons) for each of your satellite or cable channels -- no more remembering that channel 501 is HBO! The Pronto's one major drawback is that it's a complete bear to set up initially...it took me 24 hours over three days to get it working like I wanted the first time around. But now, updates are a snap. Different strokes for different folks!