DA3ES and SACD (sub missing?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Lenny O, Feb 7, 2002.

1. Lenny O

Lenny O Auditioning

I have my SACD player hooked up to my DA3ES on either set of multichannel inputs and for some reason, the subwoofer signal is not being output by the receiver. I can connect the sub out from the player to the sub and it works fine. I suspect I don't have something set properly, but the manual does not seem to imply that anything is wrong. Any thoughts? For now, since my sub has a dual voice coil and therefore a L and R input, I connected the L to the receiver and the R to the player. The sub plays in all formats except multichannel analog direct.
    [​IMG]

2. Lenny O

Lenny O Auditioning

Well, after some snooping, I found that the SACD player (DVP-NC650V) has bass management (!). SO, I set all the speakers to small, and cranked up the sub level, and now we have action! And it won't affect DVD's as the bass management features only apply to the 5.1 outputs. Quite cool.[​IMG] :b

3. Gil D

Gil D Supporting Actor

Hi Lenny,

How do you like the DA3es?

How transparent is sacd (or cd) using the external and anlog inputs?

4. Lenny O

Lenny O Auditioning

So far, I love the DA3ES. The sound quality is far superior to my STR-DE925. And the thing weights twice as much! Build quality is superb. I'm still working on trying out all of the features. Right now I have to get some good wireless speakers for the 2nd room.

As far as "transparent" goes, I confess I am not sure what you mean by that. The SACD sampler that came with my player sounds great (multichannel)! The more I read about SACD, it sounds like it uses the sub only for LFE and not for more bass punch.... unless you have small speakers all around (like a satellite/SW system). You can con the SACD player (if it has bass management) to output SW signal by setting all your speakers to small, even if they aren't. I'm going to try and see if it makes all that much of a difference. My fronts and surround speakers are all large.