What's new

D-vhs (1 Viewer)

BenS

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone own one? Why would any one buy this over a dvd player?

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
I don't even know what "one" is, but judging by the name, it's a VHS system that calls itself digital?

Understanding that magnetic tape is crap,(IMO), and being in love with DVD and it's ability to allow such random access, and options, and soundtracks, I'll stick with my DVD.

No tape for me. I haven't owned an audio tape since I was a sophomore in high school, and I wouldn't waste my time or money on tapes, be it VHS or audio, as an adult.

Sam

bryan_chow

Agent
Magnetic tape is NOT CRAP. Other than the lack of random access, there are no real negatives to tapes. Remember, your financial history and credit information is probably stored on magnetic tapes too, so they're certainly robust and reliable.
Back to the original topic.
Go to the AVS Forum's HDTV D-VHS board:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forum...?s=&forumid=42
With the right equipment you can record perfect, digital high-definition video.
Bryan

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
HH Gregg is starting to promote these here.

Did you know that pre-recorded tapes can go up to 28.8mb/s? That's almost 50 percent more bandwidth than terrestrial and satellite HDTV!

Me, I've got no beef with D-VHS. It poses no real threat to DVD.

I'll probably buy one in about a year if HD-DVD is still pretty far off. I'll need SOME way to timeshift HD broadcasts.

SamRoza

Stunt Coordinator
Brian, since we're talking about Audio and Video and not simply data, or computer backups, I'd have to stick with my estimation of mag tapes as garbage.
Once again, no Random access, no options, questionable shelf life if less than the best quality mag tapes are used(even in data storage there is severe degradation over time), no 5.1 sound(except maybe in DVHS recordings where the original soundtrack is 5.1).
Whether or not the data industry has backed me up on tape or not doesn't influence the reality that Tape in an Audio/Video situation, IMO, is not where it's at. Just because the Government's car of choice is the Dodge or Ford doesn't mean my best interest in a car is the same.
NOTE: IANA D-VHS owner or User, these are just some comments about the VHS format in general, Vs. Dvd.
I read through some AVS threads, and since I see that DVHS is used in HDTV situations only, if you were to pit DVD against DVHS it still falls away the loser, for the reasons stated above. It all comes down to Versatility...
One is a standard, widely accepted and easily used, no compatibility issues, no ease of use issues. Pop it in and go. Wanna stop the film and go back to it? no problem, choose the chapter and go there. Got a 4:3 TV? no problem. Got a 16:9 with an HDTV decoder? no problem, doesn't even need the decoder to work. Want 5.1+? not a problem either.
The other is proprietary to a few manufacturers, with what seem to be quite a few inherent flaws. Tapes are mechanical and are prone to failure. The mag tape is exposed to the elements, and prone to a reduction in quality of output in time(after metal oxidation sets it, and it always does). Want to stop a tape and go back to it later? better remember the counter numbers or you'll have to search for where you left off.
So anyways, I may be off a touch on some of these points, but for the most part I think my comments are valid here. If not, I apologize and await being educated on the subject.
Sam

RyanDinan

Stunt Coordinator
Actually, I read that the DVHS players will be able to skip to chapters - Still not near as fast as DVD - But the feature is there.

But I agree. Metal tape degrades with time. They're big and clunky.

FMD (Flouresant Multilayer Disc) is where it's at. 400GB on one disc. Very fast read/write speeds. We don't need to take a step backwards to tape......

-Ryan Dinan

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I think JVC was the main force behind D-VHS (which indeed is “digital VHS.” However, I was never impressed with it because it was not compatible with anything else, and for regular tapes it was only good for VHS, not S-VHS. Who would want to switch off between digital and regular VHS? Jeez.

However, JVC has now introduced a S-VHS recorder that includes a 40 gig hard drive, so IMO D-VHS is already obsolete

Happy Holidays,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
I don't even know what "one" is, but judging by the name, it's a VHS system that calls itself digital?
SamRoza, I feel old after that comment :D :D , it was about two years ago, that D-VHS was a viable option for digital satellite recording. Hell, I almost bought one for 499.00. It recorded 400+lines of resolution, Dolby Digital 5.1 recording all on a tape that cost about 15.00 to own. I recall that you get up to 6 or 8 hours of digital recording time without really degrading the recording. JVC had it available as a satellite box, and I tell you, if it was capatible with S-VHS (and it's not), I would have jumped on it at the time since I had so many S-VHS tapes. Well I would like to see more of this S-VHS 40 gig hard drive. Looks like another new toy.

Brajesh Upadhyay

Supporting Actor
I recently owned the Panny PV-HD1000 DVHS deck + DST51 hi-def STB combo. Panny pulled the HD1000 due to Hollywood pressure. The combo allowed me to make hi-def recordings of OTA & HBO-HD programs on SVHS or DVHS tapes.

I sold them because I got too used to the conveniences of DVD (menu, chapters, durability, etc.) even if the HD quality was better in most cases. Also, because it's tape after all, it was prone to drop-outs. In the meantime, I hope to buy a DVD-R deck and wait for a more reliable HD recording system (I'd be happy with even a HD PVR for timeshifting purposes).

AjayM

Screenwriter
Want to stop a tape and go back to it later? better remember the counter numbers or you'll have to search for where you left off.
Ditto DVD-Ram, of course you can mark points on a tape with a high quality tape recorder and have "chapters".
Now I'm not arguing the facts about buying a regular DVD and popping it in and playing. That is much better than a regular VHS tape. Say DVHS caught on like wild fire and was equally popular. Do you compromise funtionality (shelf life, ease of navigation) to get superior picture quality and equal sound quality....or do you sacrifice the picture for functionality?
Obviously DVHS isn't going to replace DVD, but I see it as something that could be very nice to have when HDTV is a little more popular and available.
Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks