d-vhs owners please help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Neil Graves, Nov 6, 2002.

1. Neil Graves

Neil Graves Auditioning

hey all you previous d-vhs owners. got some ? before i purchase a d-vhs. i have a zenith hdtv with built in mpeg-2 decoder. i have looked at the back and don't see a i-link jack. does this mean there will be no way to record from my hd set? i purchased the set in 2000, is it obsolete already. looks like all i have is a 15 pin (computer cable) input on back of the hd set that connects to my rca dtc-100 hd satellite dish. my only current available hd channels are through direct tv, hbo, showtime, hdnet. is it worth getting this player if i will not be able to record?
    any idea of future models that might work with older hdtv's? or any kind of cable converter that will go from ilink to 15 pin jack?
    any idea if satellite receivers will have ilinks on there future hd models?
    a very concerned hidef fan
    neil

2. Andrew_Ballew

Andrew_Ballew Second Unit

You will not be able to record to D-VHS without a set-top box or integrated tuner with a Firewire connection designed for communicating with D-VHS. Even then, protocols are not standard, and compatibility may be hit or miss.

169time.com can modify your RCA set-top box to include the necessary firewire connection.

Cheers

Andrew B.

3. Miles

Miles Second Unit

Hey Andrew,

I can't seem to get to the site you recommended... BTW do they perform this mod on other STB or just the DirectTV ones?

Miles

4. Brajesh Upadhyay

Brajesh Upadhyay Supporting Actor

There are really only two options for recording HDTV right now (not considering PC-based options): the 169time modded DTC-100 w/Firewire (allows you to tape OTA & DirecTV HD), or the Samsung SIR-T165 STB w/Firewire (OTA HD recording only).