D-VHS is the only software HD source.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ed St. Clair, Jul 4, 2002.

1. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Imagine my pain seeing posts on this forum knocking the highest quality video consumer source ever.
    It's not perfect, but then neither is DVD, or any other format the public has seen.
    I truly believe tape is not the problem. Yes, I myself don't chose to invest $25 or more on a tape. Or $1000 or more on a tape player. But I see cost making that choice, more than tapes weakness. If a D-VCR was $50 & D-VHS movie was $5, we would still have the no tape forever bunch, but they would be drown out by the rush to the local B&B by hordes of hobbyist.
    Or better yet free! As the offer on this very site makes. Can you consider yourself an vidiophile if you would turn down the highest quality consumer source ever for free? Or, are you proving yourself to just be close-minded?
    HD-DVD is coming. However, the A/V industry is watching D-VHS right now. And a site like this with the same people, saying the same negative thing over & over again is counter productive to HD.
    If you don't want to go back to tape, as I don't, state it once and hope like heck D-VHS succeeds. So we all may enjoy HD sooner, cheaper & of higher quality than we ever thought possible.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

Maybe I'm being over critical, but starting a new thread to post your comment on this situation, just seems as though you're trying to get an argument going that has caused previous threads to be closed.

3. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

No, but thanks for asking.
    Hope to open eyes & put out the flames.
    By saying D-VHS is good for all of us, as it brings us closer to HD for everyone.

4. Eric F

Eric F Screenwriter

The flames will never end. You're only fanning them.
    We get your point: You like D-VHS, you think it's good.
    I agree with Kyle. I don't think anymore of these advocacy threads are needed. Now if you'ld like to talk about software titles specifically, that would me nice. [​IMG]

5. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

DVHS is good because if you want HD now, you can have it

However, the hardware manufacturers AND the studios know most will wait for HD-DVD. I'm good till then

6. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    If people behave themselves then this thread remains open, if not then this thread will be closed as well as some accounts. It's safe to assume that HTF's Moderator Staff has grown tired of this "tit-for tat" type of discussions about this format and will not tolerate any further incidents.
    Crawdaddy

7. Ed St. Clair

Ed St. Clair Producer

Even when you try...
    Saying that I don't like tape, even got me called a D-VHS backer!
    Thought that the benefit's to this hobby of D-VHS would enlighten this crowd.
    I was wrong. Close the thread.

I did like the idea of someone to start a new site for D-VHS. Please count my vote to this endeavor. Thanks.

8. Nigel McN

Nigel McN Supporting Actor

It does beg the question (although probably outside the scope of this forum), how long will the format be 'secure'.

9. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

10. Dave Anderson

Dave Anderson Second Unit

I think Admin is over reacting a tad on these threads. Sure, they get heated up but I've yet to see any direct name calling. Most people here seem to have no problem disagreeing in a reasonably polite manner. I can understand Admin jumping in with one warning on one thread, but it seems to be happening in ever D-VHS thread.

Ed, people are always going to disagree. I still say the difference between a recent LD (1995+) and a recent DVD are minimal at best - EVEN on a 16x9 set. Most people disagree with me. And while studios seem to read these HT forums, our opinions do not dictate their policies.

I myself am looking forward to the potential with D-VHS. I think HD-DVD is a minimum of 2 years away. If D-VHS drops belows $1000 MSRP and there is a reasonable selection of titles, I'm all over it.

11. Andrew Bunk

Andrew Bunk Screenwriter

I've seen many say that they would instantly buy D-VHS hardware if the Star Wars Trilogy were released exclusively on D-VHS.

I am a huge SW fan, and I will say that even if the Trilogy was released on D-VHS, I would not buy this format.

Any media with moving parts like VHS and D-VHS is simply a flawed technology. You're almost guaranteed to never have a perfect picture.

Of course you can scratch a DVD, but if you handle them well the picture quality should never decrease.

I'm also perfectly happy to wait for HD-DVD.

12. Michael St. Clair

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

That's easy for you to say since you don't have the responsibility to maintain order on this large forum.

Crawdaddy

14. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

15. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

16. Andy_MT

Andy_MT Second Unit

17. Jason_Els

Jason_Els Screenwriter

HD-DVD is not just a myth or a "what-if". It is coming and likely sooner than originally promised.
    I do not deny that the DVHS is attractive from an aesthetic standpoint. I do deny that it is any where near as convenient, durable, storage-friendly, or (most particularly) content-rich. I will likely have to replace a few of my favorite DVDs when HD-DVD comes along and for the short period of time DHVS will be a viable buyer format, it isn't worth it even if the picture is perfect.
    Where DVHS might have long-term success is in video rental. DVDs are less durable than tapes in the rental business because frankly many people do not treat rental media nearly as well as their own. In this particular situation DVHS might be worth the extra storage space it requires. Of course this begs the question as to how much longer the video rental business will be viable given the coming video-on-demand services, but I don't think they're going anywhere soon.
    For ME, DVHS is not worth the money unless someone gave it to me or I won the current contest :wink:. I'm not saying someone might think it's great and if they do, that's wonderful. It might even prove superior to recordable HD-DVD in which case both formats will co-exist in harmony and live together happily ever after.