What's new

D-VHS Hookup? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Byrnes

Auditioning
I just purchased a JVC HM-DH30000U D-VHS recorder/player for $200.00 without the remote from a Major retailer with a 5 yr warranty. Can anyone tell me if this unit will work with my Samsung SIR-TS360 HDTV receiver. The Samsung has DVI, Component, and RGB outputs, but the JVC seems to only have the cable type coax connections, and a firewire input. Does this unit accept a signal from the ant in, or is there an adapter for the RGB, or DVI to firewire?? I'm so confused!!

Jay Blair

Second Unit
I've recorded to my unit with the signal coming in through the ant. connector using rabbit ears. Don't see why that would not work with your HD tuner. I'm surprised your tuner doesn't have S-vid and composite outputs. I have a Samsung 151 HD tuner that has both, along with component (but no DVI), and hook it up to my 30K through S-video.

Where did you get the unit for $200? I have a friend who wants one and he doesn't need the remote since I have a spare JVC remote from an older VCR that I could give him.

Kevin Byrnes

Auditioning
Sorry, I should have told you that my Samsung HD set top has also got s-video, and composite outs, however, I was under the assumption that I could record HDTV material from OTA, or satellite broadcasts. Are you telling me that the tuner built into this unit is an HDTV tuner?

Kevin Byrnes

Auditioning
Also, I picked it up as a last of its kind model at a local retail chain (ABC Warehouse) and the Sony RN-AV2100 that I use works just fine for this unit. I also got a 5 yr warranty for $129.00.

Jay Blair

Second Unit
No, the 30k only has an NTSC tuner. You can record from an HD tuner to S-vid in or composite in on the 30k, but with reduced resolution, meaning you no longer have a true HD recording. But it still looks pretty darn good using S-vid (it looks more like DVD instead of HD).

You were smart to get the extended warranty. I also got one for my 30k that I bought new. The 30k does have a reputation for going bad fairly often on many of the earlier units, before JVC fixed the problems. I would also advise getting one of the JVC DVHS cleaning tapes that JVC recommends (and which JVC started shipping with later 30k units to reduce some of the problems with them).

I think you can only record HD material using the firewire input on the JVC with non-copyprotected material. There are HD tuners with fireware out that will work with the 30k.

Kevin Byrnes

Auditioning
I wonder if there is an adapter available to convert the DVI, or RGB output to firewire. If anyone knows the particulars on whether the formats are compatible to make such an adapter feasable, please reply.

ScottJH

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scott
Kevin,

I saw that ABC had these on closeout in their weekly flyer. Did ABC Warehouse have any new-in-box left?

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
IN ORDER TO RECORD HD YOU NEED TO CONNECT YOUR SOURCE USING FIREWIRE.

There is no other way.

Kevin Byrnes

Auditioning
This was the last one there, and has no remote. If I cannot find a way to convert the DVI, or RGB to firewire, I will more than likely return this one to the store.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Kevin, you snaged this VCR for $200, the cheapest price I've heard of yet, and you want to return it! To think I was pleased with myself for snagging one for $250! It does multiple formats and will outperform more expensive S-VHS machines. Even if you can't make 1080i recordings right now you'd be ready to at some point. The 480i tapes I've made off HD Net are by far the best looking tapes I've ever made. 'An don't watch any D-Theater tapes because youll proably faint?

I find it real handy to have a VCR around that's quick to start. DVD recorders are all good and well but they're not always handy as you wait for a disc to format. I've decided to adopt D-VHS for the next few years anyway. It's the best thing out despite it's drawbacks. "an you got it for the price of VHS recorder for all practical purposes.

If you keep the VCR, the one thing I'd tell you to be on top of is head cleaning. D-VHS operation requires sparkling heads, so brush and floss three times a day.;) Clean the heads every 6-8 hours of use. Use a regular head cleaner and then follow it up with the JVC VU-V13U, a pro head polishing tape. You can get that from JVC's website.

I really think you should keep the VCR myself. Best wishes! :)

Tony Kwong

Supporting Actor
I wish I had another V13! They are no longer available!

Maybe I should be a little more clear, The only way to record HD onto a JVC 30k is to use firewire. Adapters will not work. I have tried.

They newer decks will be comming out with a built-in tuner. Only then will you be able to record without a firewire stb, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks