What's new

D-VHS 24 frames per second? (1 Viewer)

TerjeS

Auditioning
Is it true that the film originated material recorded on D-VHS tapes can not be shown in its true 24 fps native format? The ATSC specifications only seem to allow 24 fps for progressive 1080 (not in 1080i used in D-Theater). If this is true will movies on D-VHS still have motion artefacts from 3:2 pulldown?

Jim Ferguson

Stunt Coordinator
The "native format" of most HD broadcasts, and also most D-VHS tapes is 1080I, not 24fps. You would need an external processor such as the Faroudja DVP5000 to do 2:3 reconstruction on these sources. That said, I have never seen anything like a "motion artifact" on any off-air HD program, or HBO-HD or Showtime-HD.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
1080i and 24fps are totally different things!

1080 is the resolution and scan type

24 fps are the FRAMES PER SECOND

they have nothing to do with one another, and theoretically yes, DVHS should be 24fps.

TerjeS

Auditioning
I agree it SHOULD be, being a relatively new format and all, but I'm not so sure it really is, since ATSC dosn't allow it. We all know that tampering with the frame rates of the source will result in inferior picture quality. Perhaps most Americans don't bother about repeated frames in the 3:2 pulldown process because they are just so used to it (been watching it since childhood).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks