D-VHS 1080i Software - Coming soon (discussion here?)

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brian-W, Jan 27, 2002.

1. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Well, Fox has made a preliminary announcement for D-VHS 1080i with two other studios to follow. I forgot that in all the hub-bub at CES, at JVC's "D-Theater" (D-VHS) they mentioned Fox was going to announce titles to be available by end of 1st quarter 2002 (end of March). Two other studios that are also in the rumor pipeline were Disney and New Line. We'll see.

What titles to be released and if they'll be OAR is what I am concerned about (given HBO's showings lately).

Anyway, given that this is 'software' I'm hoping we'll get to discuss it in this particular forum.

2. Kyle McKnight

Kyle McKnight Cinematographer

I hope this crap doesn't take off. Isn't this the format that doesnt work with current HDTV's? Or am I confusing memories?

3. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

I think that back in October both Warner Brothers and Sony said that they too would be supporting the D-VHS format when they announced there support of 5C and Firewire.

I don't think there's any thing wrong with the D-VHS format and it's not a threat to making HDTV sets obsolete. But DVI and 5C (though I much rather have the later) are. As a format, there is nothing stopping it from working with current HDTV sets. But the studio's or more like the MPAA have made it an issue that this format not have any HDTV analog connection.

4. DarrenA

DarrenA Second Unit

How many folks still listen to cassette tapes and watch VHS tapes after handling CDs and DVDs? The only problem I forsee is that it is still a tape medium. The possibility to damage the media on the video tape is problematic. Also, forget about menus, extras, and chapter search/select.

I find D-VHS to merely bridge the gap between DVD and a high definition form of DVD (HD-DVD?).

5. Michael St. Clair

Actually, JVC's decks (30000U, 35000U) do have component video output.
    Not only that, they support bitrates up to 28.8MBPS, and existing pre-recorded demo tapes have better picture quality than even OTA HD broadcast.

6. Mark_Wilson

Mark_Wilson Screenwriter

Can you post a link to that 'pre-announcement'? I've been hearing this for some time. I'm ready to buy the JVC D-VHS 30000 but not until there is some software available.

7. Kevin Davidson

Kevin Davidson Auditioning

Darren, why did you have to go and steal my thunder?![​IMG]
    I'm all for high def films readily accessible in a tiny package but ANY tape based format is a mile backwards on the digital media highway IMO. Tape breaks, sooner or later and contrary to the looming "DVD Rot" conspiracy, I'll take my chances any day with non-linear structured formats. This lingering D-VHS is hopefully nothing more than a rest-stop to our promised land of HD-DVD, be it five, ten or however many years away it may be. If HD-DVD landed tommorrow, I'd be one of the first in line to fork over cash but JVC's RELENTLESS push to get this new cash cow rolling is precisely why I haven't bought a single product from them for the last few years.
    I must admit, Fox and Universal's early attendance to this party has me wondering just how many of those suits and dept. heads really left with Mechanic years ago? Although I'm sure any studio would welcome an additional stream of income from an upper tier format?
    Sorry, here's hoping this one goes down as well as clear Pepsi [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    And with that first post my virginity is lost!:b

8. Marque D

Marque D Stunt Coordinator

I'm all for the D-VHS format. Yea, HD-DVD would be nice but its not going to solve the current dilemma of 95% of the HDTV owners out there. Being able to record!
    I look at the D-VHS HDTV movies soon to be released as an added bonus. I NEED some type of way to time shift and occasionally Archive. What I would give to have things, I saw in HDTV on D-VHS for my enjoyment any time I want. (like last years AFC Championship game, or the 2001 Masters or even the upcoming Indiana Jones movies to be shown in HDTV) While D-VHS is a bridge for things to come, I by no means see it as a step back.
    BTW: From what I've read (like over at the HDTV Recorder section of the AVS Forum) D-VHS is quite different from the regular VHS standard thus it is not susceptible to the same types of problems. I've read that D-VHS tapes have been recorded over 50 times to the same tape with out any lost in quality.

9. Dean Cooper

Dean Cooper Supporting Actor

Personally I'd much rather use a hard drive based recording device using a DVD format for the "read only" software. The main reasons are I can store 30 DVDs in the same amount of space 10 tapes would take up and I wouldn't have to worry about the machine eating the friggin tapes.

Dean

10. JohnJB

JohnJB Stunt Coordinator

The guy wanting to record the impending HD broadcasts of the Indy Trilogy poses an interesting question IMO (or would have done, if the Trilogy was available on our favourite format) which is what's your preference 2:35 anamorphic DVD or 1:85 HD D-VHS, my vote's for the former.

11. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

There are no guarantees that D-VHS tapes will be cropped.

The current JVC DH-30000 D-VHS deck does NOT have DVI output, so this clearly isn't an issue. However, they are 'showcasing' their 'D-Theater' encryption/protection, which could possibly make pre-recorded D-VHS tapes incompatible with the current D-VHS units available. By that, I mean the latest Mitsubishi and former Panasonic D-VHS decks may not play these new tapes.

Time will tell soon enough. While I hate tape, it hasn't stopped me from watching HDTV. I'm intrigued by the 28.8Mbs throughput. Here's hoping studios take advantage of that, that's nearly a 50% increase in bitrate over current OTA HD content.

Again, tape sucks, but HD-DVD isn't anywhere close to launching, let alone with studio support. Everyone's too busy making money with NTSC DVDs.

12. Jerome Grate

Jerome Grate Cinematographer

Just so weird, VHS just won't die[​IMG] I'm not against VHS well (S-VHS), but having a copy of the Matrix or some other film in HD-DVHS is not a bad idea. My concern is what will the cost be. You've got DVD recording ability, granted only around 480 lines of resolution, as compared to 1080i for the new D-VHS which is far better. How much is this thing going to cost. If we're talking about 1,000, then it's something that I'm pretty sure would really take off. But 2,000 or more for tape, I just don't get it.