:D My new receiver.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Richard A, Nov 23, 2002.

1. Richard A

Richard A Auditioning

Well I'm late in the game, but I finally purchased and installed a Denon 2802. It took some time, but I've finally upgraded from a Pioneer Elite VSX33, as I was looking for a 6.1 set up and DPL2. I'm really impressed by this receiver as I find that the surrounds seem more defined now. There seems to be a more clear separation of channels....but that could be my own subjective memory. I'm very happy with this receiver, although there are a few missising features.

One thing I find weird though, is that the Pioneer, at only 80watts and five channels, weighs about 5 pounds more than the Denon with 90watts and 6 channels. Important??

A question for Denon 2802 owners... I connected my vcr to the receiver using VCR 1 inputs and outputs and the Satellite receiver to the Sat input. The VCR and Sat play without any problems. I am having difficulty recording from my Satellite however, and am wondering if there is something set-up feature that I have not thought of. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm also hoping to upgrade my dvd-player to a dvd-audio player. If I do this, will I also need to get some form of base management ala ICBM? Do the dvd-audio players now have this built in? Are there any recommendations in the price range of the Panasonic rp82 or Toshiba 4800? My speakers are in my signature if that helps.

Thanks
    Richard

2. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

I had both DVD players and IMO the 4800 does better,

3. Richard A

Richard A Auditioning

Thanks for the reply. What makes the 4800 better than the rp82??? Are there specific features? Also, does it have base management built in for dvd-audio?
    Thanks
    Richard

4. Guy Usher

Guy Usher Supporting Actor

In my situation the 4800 produces a much brighter picture during "progressive scan" playback, there is no difference in brightness between prog/intlcd playback, I have had other Toshiba players, 6200, 3800, and now the 4800 (returned the 3800 because I wanted black not silver) and all had the same traits.
    One RP82 I bought was defective so I replaced it with another and although it's picture quality was superb there was a much darker picture during prog play back, it could be compensated for but I perfered the Toshiba (more familar with it as well) I have seen this before (ie;Sony 700P and others) I don't have an explanation, someone at this forum could possibly explain why this happens.
    As far as DVD audio goes, I will cross that bridge when I get to it, it did not enter my decision making process, as I said I wanted a black one and it has DVD audio. . .
    As far as bass mgmt for DVD audio I dont think so, I bought it for watching DVD movies and it is amazing to me that for under $200 it works at all, I call this my disposable DVD player, when and if I get serious about DVD audio who knows where that journey will take me.