What's new

D.G.A. Nominations (1 Viewer)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Good points there. Certainly you can look at the list and think "If I'd known he was going to get left off, I would have voted for him".
Or maybe the Miramax gift basket finally arrives. :)
whatever.
Still, in an ideal world you wouldn't say "I think it would HELP if I got left off the DGA list". :)
It hurts, it's a little odd, but I agree it's not final. However, in the Oscar thread there was talk that once Jackson didn't get the DGA nom that FOTR was dead...
not sure why this doesn't carry over to Altman/Gosford Park.

Edwin Pereyra

Senior HTF Member
One thing that can be inferred in all of this is that none of the Oscar nominee "replacements" end up winning the top prize. If Altman wants to be nominated and win the Oscar, he's got a lot of campaigning to do. Good luck. ;)
~Edwin

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Michael,

That Goldman quote is a great gift. I have been itching for someone to use it regarding these many awards discussions.

Thanks,

Chuck

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
Did he really say that action films were the reason for 9/11? If so, that is about the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. I don't think Osama gets the the movies much. And I sure don't think he cares about their supposed message.

Julian Lalor

Supporting Actor
Altman was niminated by the DGA and Academy for The Player, his last decent film before Gosford Park, so I don't think his omission is political. Perhaps th DGA didn't feel he deserved it, is all. I am more surprised about Lynch's omission, though, and given the nature of Mulholland Drive I think that film is going to be all but looked over by the Academy.

This is another year where foreign directors seem to be making the greatest impression. Only 1 of the nominees is an American, although I *do* think Altman will be nominated for the Oscar (fo what is essentially a British movie, though).

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
True, Edwin...but some of the DGA winners end up not even being nominated for an Oscar.

And, though this seems to be Ron Howard's year, let's not forget he was nominated twice before for the DGA, and has NEVER been nominated for an Oscar. He even won the DGA for "Apollo 13"...that's one of the five DGA winners that did not go on to win the Oscar. Spielberg, too...won DGA for "Color Purple," did not get an Oscar nomination.

P.S. I, too, am VERY surprised that Lynch did not get a DGA nom.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks