D-Box amp with tempest/New Sono.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Adam O, Apr 2, 2002.

1. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I have recently got the itch to build a sonotube reading all these great posts about people doing so and their great results. I have enough for the driver (Tempest from adire) and can get materials fairly easily, however I do not have another $200+ to spend on an amp.

Currently I have a D-Box David 301 Sub. Its a 12" so-called 350w powered sub. (BTW, I believe D-Box is based out of Quebec). I paid 300 for this sub about 2 years ago and although I dont beleive the amp in the system comes close to 350w, I though it might still be good enough to use with a Tempest based sono. WOULD THIS WORK? Does the Tempest generally only work well with certain amps?

I havn't started to plan out the size or dimensions of the enclosure, however I have ample space in my room for the beast, so 250+L would be what I'm planning for. IS THIS TO MUCH? I want to get around 20Hz at 95dB+ (BTW, are these obsene numbers?), anything lower than that is bonus. Also, would these requirements still be fufilled with the use of a Shiva instead of the tempest? I may consider this route instead, if someone would outline pros and cons for each.

Thanks in advance for all the comments and advice,

Adam

2. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

There is a thread in here about the DVC 15" driver on sale for $99 at PE until tomorrow. It's close enough to a Tempest and a steal at this price.

While you're on the PE site, check out their plate amps. 250 W for $139, I think. Using the amp from that sub may not be a good idea, as they sometimes have built in EQ boosts for specific driver/enclosure. I would sell it to supplement the cost of the PE stuff.

Size wise, you'll get to your goal, no problem, with this setup. Let us know which way you decide to go and then talk specifics.

Pete

3. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

adam your D-Box amp would work but may not bet he best choice. If you could sell the D-box sub I'd look at picking up one of the plate amps that are at parts express. Since you are making a large sub though its going to be very easy to drive so you aren't going to need a lot of power to hit the levels you want. I just sold a sub that was very similar to what you're about to build and it was powered with as little as 110 watts at one point and it still shook my pant legs etc. Point being tempests or 15" DVC drivers in large ported box's are very effient and easy to drive. The problem with your D-Box plate amp isn't the power but the electronics it might have in it to compensate for the D-Box driver and its box. The plate amp will likely have some limiters or some boost down low to help the D-Box sound better. The problem is your new sub won't need this and it could make it sound boomy etc.

4. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

5. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I just emailed D-Box, detailing by situation. In specifics I asked if there were indeed limiters/boosters in the amp.
    On another note I just relized the 15" DVC's are back to reg price [​IMG]
    Lastly, any one know where you can get 18"+ Sonotube in Calgary?
    Thanks Alot, Ill let you know when I hear from D-Box.
    Adam

6. Andrew Pratt

Andrew Pratt Producer

Adam just call up some concrete construction companies from the yellow pages and ask them if they have any ends lying around or where they buy their sonotube from. Note there are numerous brands of tube available that are all more or less the same thing. Home Depot sells it as well but they only stock a limited width....they should have 18" though I'd think (they didn't have the 24" I wanted)

7. Adam O

Adam O Stunt Coordinator

I just got a reply from d-box:

Hi there,
    Our amplifiers are just slightly modified, so I suggest to give it a try. Anyway, it cannot be harmfull and you have the controls to adjust the sound. But it cannot give as good results as a custom design product.
    Best Regards,
    Laurent Racicot
    D-Box Audio Inc.
    Tel: (450)442-3003 ext.224
    Fax: (450)442-3230
    So I'm going ahead with that amp. As well I got a reply from pe.com and will still be able to purchase the DVC 15" Dayton for the sale price listed 2 days ago.
    Im off to Home Depot.
    Thanks for your help,
    Adam